Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Big Iron Chisel???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Found this near a long gone line of barbed wire fence for what used to be a dairy farm. The photo I took only shows one side to reflect the bend in it, but the business end is chisel shaped. Did a circular search around it out to about 20 feet only to find a Peters Victor No. 12 shotgun headstamp, vintage 1924-27.

Any ideas? I thought that it may be a carpenter's chisel for doing Dado cuts, like for lumber for log homes or maybe fence posts. It may have been there long before the headstamp. The area (about 100 acres) is so dry of signal that I'm not going back. I didn't find anything else other than pieces of barbed wire.

Ed/ODF
Looks to be a tooth from an old harrow. Like the one in this link. http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/old-harro...929992.jpg
It looks like it is either a tent spike or a wedge for splitting rocks
Thanks for the responses fellas!

I don't know about a harrow tooth Big. Looks too big for that. But could be. But there was no farming there that I can find in history. And the barbed wire goes with dairy and cattle.

Steve, there ain't a rock in site. All shale at that site. Tent spike might be a possibility, but it must've been a big tent. Only idea I can come up with is a lumbering tool of some sort. The dairy farm was extinct by 1930 and there aren't any trees old enough there in the plane/plateau of the site, except for the perimeter, where they are hundreds of years old. I may not ever find out what it really is though.

Ed
A tent spike is a good guess - do you know if there was a circus in that area?
Looks like you have yourself a big ass spike there Ed, Interesting find, but you may have to keep searching for the next piece of the puzzle before your mystery is revealed. Beer
Reference URL's