Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Amazing finds and catches at the beach!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
NOT! It was quite horrible for metal detecting. They replenished the beach with black sand or something. My detector was going nuts. Anytime I had the coil ontop of the ground it spazzed out..kinda like when I see pizza in the window of a pizza shop... I loveeee pizza! But yeah, i was gbed and my cable to the coil was high enough above the coil and i was 2-3 sensitivity below max. Also my pinpointer seemed to think metal was everywhere...was worthless. My predator shovel did quite a horrible job as I figured so that was my fault. Maybe once I blow some steam off I'll purchase a sandscoop and give it another shot somewhere else. This hobby sure can be a love hate relationship...and right now...I want a divorce. Whose ready to go to las Vegas?!

As for fishing, it was nice out, wind was calm. Water wasn't that cold. It was pretty flat due to the dredging though. So I had to go in my speedo aka boxers out into the water to cast. Made sure no one was around first of course. Girlfriend thought I was nuts but hey I'm trying to catch a fish here! And maybe a cold.

Here's my one and only find which I will not cherish forever. And two pictures of my girlfriend holding 2 out of the 3 skates we caught(she had 2 and I had the bigger one that tried to eat her.) No striped bass sadly.

ENJOY
Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you!!

But sounds like you had a pretty good time anyway!

Ed
yeah, black sand is a tough go but you pullrd through and it looks like you both a fun
Zach, sorry to hear the detector was whining. I heard single frequency detectors like to do this in wet salt sand and heard the black sand is worst. However, I seen single frequency do well at the beach staying out of the wet sand. I have hear some folks can adjust machine by ground balancing and sensitivity down to even use them in wet sand. But I do not know. I have two multiple frequencies machines that both work good. (Cz20 & Sovereign) However, if I crank it up, I will get some falsing too. 

You had a nice backup plan in place. Whether is fishing or a walk on the beach with your GF. Those memories are more precious. 

I would like to mention those Skates are so freaking ugly. They all have Nads! I think I would rather catch catfish, string ray, anything else. Freaking ugly! Happy

Glad you and yours had a good time. Hope you're able to do it again. Thanks for sharing! Pictures put us right there!
Yeah, we enjoyed ourselves quite a bit! It was our first outing to the beach metal detecting, so I figured it wasn't going to go as I hoped. I'll take a lot of stuff into consideration next time I go.
As for the fishing, It's always nice to get out and fish. But for some odd reason, If i get skunked fishing after 4 hours i'm OK with it. But when I home come empty handed after a couple hours of detecting...I'm not a happy camper! I'm not sure why exactly why yet but I still do enjoy metal detecting very much.
Cassandra, my girlfriend already wants to go back...So I got a little surprise for her off Groupon. This weekend we are going to go on a party boat for a half day and maybe get some detecting in while i'm down there!
But yeah, It was nice to get out in the middle of December with such great weather! Sorta makes me want to retire at this early age and move to Florida already!
Oh yeah that black sand is a curse!  I use an Etrac and it's fairly stable, but I've had it go nuts in some black sand conditions. Noise cancelling didn't even help. Sweet backup plan!  Looks like a great time!  Skates are one UGLY fish, second only to the scalpin that I seem to get a lot of up here. Hate those things!  The seagulls won't even eat them lol.
Reference URL's