Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Just received my new Test Kit!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just received my new Test Kit!

Thanks Treasure Classifieds! Thanks Joe!
Congrats BigTony! Got a question concerning testing. Does this damage chemical testing damage the jewelry or coin with a small spot of discoloration? Or do you file it in a spot less noticeable? (Which does damage it a little) Thanks in advance for info.

Note: I don't have to worry at the moment, I can't seem to be able to locate precious metals. lol
(01-09-2016 03:34 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Just received my new Test Kit!

Thanks Treasure Classifieds! Thanks Joe!

You're welcome, and sorry for the delay. Hope you get some use out of it Happy

(01-10-2016 07:08 AM)updownup Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats BigTony! Got a question concerning testing. Does this damage chemical testing damage the jewelry or coin with a small spot of discoloration? Or do you file it in a spot less noticeable? (Which does damage it a little) Thanks in advance for info.

Note: I don't have to worry at the moment, I can't seem to be able to locate precious metals. lol

The acid tests of silver & gold pose almost no harm to coins and/or jewelry, for you're not putting the solution on the coin or jewelry itself, but rather, on a tiny scraping sample via a testing block. The only real issue might be, would one want to scratch a potentially rare coin or piece of jewelry in order to get a testing sample? In that case, I would say send the piece out to a professional. In 99% of other cases however, where the pieces are fairly common, it's a non issue.

Joe
Yeah, cool Joe, thanks again.

I would only test the jewelry that I find.
As for old silver coins -
I wouldn't test a coin - if is a US coin I know which ones are silver.

There are fakes and counterfeit coins out there but I would believe that they would ID on the machine as silver and many of those are magnetic. That is another post all by itself (nuff said - if someone is selling you an old silver coin for peanuts - test it with a magnet before you buy).
Hope ya find something sweet to test it on!
Gl and HH
Zach
Yeah, must try harder for AU this year......
That's a nice kit! I've always wanted to try it. Another 500 coins and I may give it a go. The digital scale would be nice to have too. I have some silver that I'd love to weigh.
Reference URL's