Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Light Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone use a light box kit to photograph their finds? Unless I'm losing my mind, I thought Ed did, and maybe one or two others. I think I might pop for one, as they're pretty neat. This one looks like a good deal, as they even throw in a free tripod for a smart phone...

http://www.thelashop.com/24-photo-cube-s...Hwodw0wNbA

Joe
Yes Joe I do have one but not that particular type. Mine is here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-120x120x120c...Swf-VWVv3i
For photographs like this: My Bourbon Glass!

But not for anything detecting.

Ed
Thanks, Ed! That is a HECK of a shot! I took the plunge on the one I posted, above...we'll see how it works.

This is meant for my detecting finds. I'd like to try and capture better photos of my coins & relics. Question...

So, the big draw of a light box is what? The elimination of shadows? This is a big issue when photographing my stuff, and the remedy to that would be worth the price alone. What are some of the other benefits? Any tips you can give, as this is new hat, to me.

I read online when photographing anything, it's best to place the camera on a tripod, and use a remote shutter, if possible, as even a minute amount of camera shake can distort a picture.

Joe
Thanks for the ideas, now maybe I need to look for a different camera
Nice picture Ed! Let us know how it works Joe. Come on Ed, give us some tips. Happy
Not much to tell. Tripod and shutter release is a must but because you're taking stills but you can just as easily use the camera's self timer in lieu of a shutter release. I use 2-CFL 100 watt 6000 Kelvin (daylite) lamps with clamp reflectors, and painted the interiors arctic white in my setup. They're strong enough to keep the shutter speed high so no shake appears although it takes practice hand holding a phone camera. My regular camera croaked last year and I find the phone adequate. As far as the box is concerned, one of it's triumphs is eliminating glare. There are all kinds of things you can do with it. That bourbon glass is sitting on a piece of black velvet which has about a nickel sized hole in it set upon a slide viewing light box and is minimally illuminated from above and one side inside a light tent. I shot that with my camera when it was working. Have a ton more shots as it was a Winter project for me when the woman wanted good pics of her Brilliant American Cut Glass for identification and record.

Tents are great for really reflective, glossy objects with detail. Takes some getting used to though.

Ed
(01-14-2016 05:04 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Not much to tell. Tripod and shutter release is a must but because you're taking stills but you can just as easily use the camera's self timer in lieu of a shutter release. I use 2-CFL 100 watt 6000 Kelvin (daylite) lamps with clamp reflectors, and painted the interiors arctic white in my setup. They're strong enough to keep the shutter speed high so no shake appears although it takes practice hand holding a phone camera. My regular camera croaked last year and I find the phone adequate. As far as the box is concerned, one of it's triumphs is eliminating glare. There are all kinds of things you can do with it. That bourbon glass is sitting on a piece of black velvet which has about a nickel sized hole in it set upon a slide viewing light box and is minimally illuminated from above and one side inside a light tent. I shot that with my camera when it was working. Have a ton more shots as it was a Winter project for me when the woman wanted good pics of her Brilliant American Cut Glass for identification and record.

Tents are great for really reflective, glossy objects with detail. Takes some getting used to though.

Ed

Good info Yes As I said, the major issue for me is shadows when taking pics of my finds. The box might help. The photo timer is a great idea, I'll try it. Gonna be yet another learning curve for me, but that's part of the fun, I guess Happy

Joe
Waaaaay over MY head lol. The proof is in the pudding though. You always have excellent photos!
Reference URL's