Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Daytona GBD Modified--off to the Races
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Vintage 1980 GBD
[attachment=7461][attachment=7462]

Completely redone.
This is why I really bought the Daytona, liked the housing.
If it didn't work to my liking, I had ulterior motive for this vintage machine.
It sports a new engine, lots more horsepower under the hood.
Under the hood is a brand new Mirage PI engine.
Shortened the alumin tube frame, then added a White's middle and lower rod.
Really compact now.
With the new foam upholstery, the ride is really soft.
Now very nicely balanced.
Just needs a bit more tweaking with a support stand, pop on an 8.5" wheel and its off to the races.

[attachment=7463]
[attachment=7464]
[attachment=7465]
[attachment=7466]
Awesome workmanship Sven! Now that is not the same machine. I'm impressed.
Agreed! That's pretty impressive sven. You should create your own detector if you can. I'm sure that'll be a fun projectYes
(01-18-2016 12:31 AM)Zachbl92 Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed! That's pretty impressive sven. You should create your own detector if you can. I'm sure that'll be a fun projectYes
Already created my own detector-Mirage PI.  On going project http://www.treasurelinx.com/projects.html
Daytona box has my Mirage PI project.
I really like the housing, actually looked at getting a bunch of boxes made like it.
Here in Canada the alumin. rectangle tubing was cheap, really dirt cheap.
Fabrication--cutting, drilling, making the cover plates and finally anodizing the cost would have been about $75-80 each. Then add on printing costs on the cover plates. So I'll keep on buying off the shelf alum project boxes to custom build for guys who want a PI. Very niche market.

I was looking at getting some custom control box housings made strictly for the Mirage, huge cost factor involved setting up tooling.   I have been looking at alternatives to making them myself as in the past out of fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. Just a lot of time involved. Might have to take a look at China to manufacturer them--really would like a dedicated waterproof box for my water units.

[attachment=7468]
[attachment=7469]
[attachment=7470]
Really COOL looking machine Sven!! You do some fabulous work hibernating away in the Winter!! Are the specs for that Mirage PI on the projects link?

Ed
(01-18-2016 01:49 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Really COOL looking machine Sven!! You do some fabulous work hibernating away in the Winter!! Are the specs for that Mirage PI on the projects link?

Ed

Thanks, yes specs are on the second Mirage webpage. There is a drop down menu on the top under Project PI. Or a link at the bottom of the Project PI page
that will take you there.
How does this detector compare to modern detectors and what is it's claim to fame ? Christmas marked the two year anniversary of metal detecting for me  so I really would like to know the answers to my questions to increase my general knowledge of detectors.
(01-19-2016 07:31 AM)Kajunman Wrote: [ -> ]How does this detector compare to modern detectors and what is it's claim to fame ? Christmas marked the two year anniversary of metal detecting for me  so I really would like to know the answers to my questions to increase my general knowledge of detectors.

The original Daytona detector in its heyday was a superb machine. It was a TR or a VLF depending upon the model. There were several models.
Claim to fame was to be able to get 5-6" dimes amongst a pile of pulltabs. The Wilson-Neuman Co. produced them.

Later the company partners went separate ways. Wilson went on to producing highly sought after to this day detectors.
Wilson Detectors Search Link

Just a note, most Daytona Rangars, GBD models that you find up for sale will no longer function correctly. Keith Wills was about the only one who can now fix them.  Before I gutted the Daytona, made an attempt to fix it, had it working on the bench, air tests were excellent a dime at 7". In ground test barely 1". It may have had coil issues besides.............had it been working properly like it did when it was new, it would have made a fun machine. The layout of the controls make it very easy to adjust with one finger.
[attachment=7471]
Thanks for the info. At 349 bucks back in the day it must have had some clout. It's sleek looking for its era.
Really fine work on the modification Sven. I had seen your page and projects before joining this forum and was amazed at what you were doing. In fact it was your recommend that led me here. Quick question---the mod has 5 controls and the Mirage has six. Are you combining functions or eliminating something. Also, are you using the same PCB in both machines, just altering the orientation to the controls, or are you also modifying the board. Been reading a lot about electronics and seeing just how complex this stuff is. I salute you on your skill and knowledge.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's