Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Beach detectors?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
PI units or VLF multi frequency units? Looking for some advice and knowledge on some good detectors for the beach for summer.

I've been looking into the garret sea hunter 2. Looks and seems decent and the waterproof headphones will go on my at pro as well. I read that it basically has no disc and you have to dig literally every signal you hear. But other than that its a good detector?

I'd mainly like a machine that's reliable and good for the wet sand, dry sand and in the surf and maybe eventually underwater.

Thanks in advance,
Zach
The one listed below will keep you awake on the beach.Chuckle If you get it wet, it won't hurt to bad, since it's low cost. Wink

[attachment=7481]
My buddies who water hunt in Galveston tell me once you get in the water it's much cleaner. You don't have the pull tabs and all the other junk you do on the dry sand.
OK, I assume you knew I was joking on earlier post. I think there is a lot of good beach machines. If they are designed for the beach, they are most likely a multiple frequency machine. This tends to make it more stable in salt water. I have a cz 20, and use my land version Excalibur. (Sovereign) Salt, black sand can cause some falsing with both unit. Depending on several things. (Coil size, location, how rough the surf , etc.) I'm fairly new to it all, so don't have a lot of advice. But, I like both my machines, and theycseem to do good in that environment. Good luck, and let us know which machine you decide on. HH!
I think its generally known that the two best VLF machines for saltwater use is the CZ and Excalibur.

Only other alternative is a PI, then again not all are created equal. Most of the "water hunting" PI's have a Pulse delay only down to 15us others 20-25us.
The closer you get to 10us the better it will be for the very small gold items. Trouble is the closer you get to 10us and lower that's the conductivity of saltwater, the detector will start to false, your threshold wise rise and lower with the water wave level and ripples in the sand will cause falsing. So most usable pulse delay range is around 15us. The more external controls you have the more you can adjust the detector to work in the salt water. SAT, Frequency, Gain, threshold, Pulse Delay and Pulse Width.  If looking for gold vs. iron, you need to look at Pulse Width, most PI's will be from 50-100us, better for depth, larger gold, silver, copper and iron. 10-30us better for very small gold but, you give up depth on silver, copper, brass and larger iron. Lower PW less falsing as well. Most PI's are general purpose machines, look at the specs.
Rumor has it Whites will introduce a waterproof TDi sometime. And Fisher is working on something special as well. Both will probably be in the $2000 range if they are all that. Scuba PI's are different from wading PI's, not the same animal. At depth you cannot use low Pulse Delay, so not very usable in locating very small gold objects, more for larger gold  multiple gold coin silver spills and larger chests.......

Surprised no one has come up with a really decent VLF 2 frequency machine to compete with the CZ and Excal.
Hello Zach. I always liked the Excalibur for salt water beaches. Never used the Garrett sea hunter also never used the whites surf master.
Excal is not cheap.
As for wet sand not water I used to have luck with my explorer II and my friend used the sovereign
Good Luck
So its not a good unit updownup? Darn...Wink

Thanks for all the responses.

Sven, I think I'll do a multiple frequency VLF machine. As the pi units seem to only target specific targets like you mentioned. One day when I'm more experienced I'll try out a pi unit for sure. I think I'll end up going with a used fisher cz-21 when I decide to get another unit around the summer time. Thanks everyone
CZ21 will be a good start for you.
Now you just need to get yourself a good scoop.
Make sure its one with the most holes spaced closest together so sand just effortless sifts out of it very fast. A scoop full of sand or muck gets heavy in the water if you have to swish it around what seems forever  to clear it.
Scoops aren't cheap, prices really went up on several brands.

[attachment=7488]
[attachment=7489]
[attachment=7490]
Reference URL's