Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Nuther nice day!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Too good to pass up the weather today but a lot of humping through the woods. Took me about 40 minutes to get to the spot pictured with no detecting until I got there, about .45 miles by Google Earth Path Tracking. I've been meaning to get to this area as it's an old abandoned Electric RR line that you simply cannot get to from any other way during the warmer season and was abandoned in the mid 1930's.

It was a very difficult area otherwise with numerous trees down, many lagoon areas to swing around and a great deal of thick underbrush. But I was somewhat rewarded with 2 wheats, one a 1910 in real good shape about 8 inches down along the edge of a bog area but a whispery high tone and intermittent digital that locked. Another piece was what I think may be a bridal rosette. I don't know and there are no markings or attachments on the back and it looks like pewter. The knife was also a surprise because I'm quite a ways from the river.

I had a good time out there today and got muddied up like a sow in heaven but that's the way it goes. A little sore too for a change! It feels good!! Today was really just a day to research an area and get the feel for it. I may go back there tomorrow if I can get out of bed! Chuckle

Enjoy!

Have fun out there and HAPPY HUNTING!!!

Ed/ODF
Glad you were able to get out and hunt. Nice finds. I guess the weight and fish knife was when they went fishing at the river. Hope you're able to get back out there. With all you found today, there has to be a lot more out there. GL HH!
Yeehaaa Ed!! I do believe that's a rosette and a mighty nice one , have you tested it for silver?? And what a knife saweeet...Yes
Good job gettin out in that cold weather and finding some goodies--now get back out there and get the rest!!

Tony AZ  Cool
Glad you were able to get out. Very cool chain-link rosette
Nice work Ed; glad you were able to get out and hunt. Nothing but white here from our weekend storm. You hunt the woods a lot. How do you decide where to look---near old schools, old stores? Or just random. And how do you account for so much lost stuff in the wilds? Whatever the story, it's an interesting approach.
(01-25-2016 11:48 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Nice work Ed; glad you were able to get out and hunt. Nothing but white here from our weekend storm. You hunt the woods a lot. How do you decide where to look---near old schools, old stores? Or just random. And how do you account for so much lost stuff in the wilds? Whatever the story, it's an interesting approach.

Shade,

I think what I do is really called sampling or testing an area. First I look at the older USGS maps to see what structures were marked, then I take a close look at slide comparisons of that same area of interest and try and find the areas which were forested or overgrown the longest. Many times I've wound up in the middle of an abandoned farm field because I took a wrong turn or had an overcast day where I couldn't reference my position by having the sun out. But I know where I am when I start to see the furrows which were tilled. Unfortunately I don't use GPS devices, which to me would be far more important than sinking bucks and time into video. But, I cannot tell you how many times I've found old wagon roads and access roads which were never on a map or can be seen clearly in aerial photos either by Historic Aerials or timeline on Google Earth.

I also use a specific timeline in Google Earth, which for this area is April 2012. That date shows the ground without any foliage on the trees and shrubs and gives me a better picture of what the actual ground looks like. I don't go to libraries or such as it takes too long to find specific info on a particular locale.

So I think you could say that I take an educated crapshoot guess most of the time. Or maybe it's just dumb luck. As to the finds, well I got no idea how they are there. Maybe hunters, maybe people going fishing, maybe workmen in a specific area, maybe kids of yesteryear just goofing around in the woods. But as I have said in past posts, I have an attitude that says, "There can't possibly be anything here.", and generally, to my surprise, I find stuff.... coins, things of curiosity. Although I haven't yet hit any silver to date for 2016, you can't imagine the feeling I get when I'm deep out in those woods and up comes a wheatback. I see something like that and the hunter instinct comes out in me and it's game on!!! Yes Yes Yes

Ed
Ed, you certainly found that site from your research, congratulations. You found a good bunch of keepers and that is what it is all about.
Reference URL's