Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Some REAL Great Stuff & #10!!!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Snow wasn't too bad and it was in the low 30's so I decided to go out and hit an area I've not yet covered, adjoining an area I've thoroughly covered. Got a wheat first at about 2" but the original signal was mixed so I re swept the spot and got a solid high tone on a 3-27 digital. Off to the right of where the wheat was, about 3", found a pretty beat 16S Merc 7 inches down. Re-swept the area surrounding those two finds and came up with 2 more wheats about 14" from the original dig. Both were about 4" down.

Started taking my time and about 30 minutes later came upon the lock. Then about 20 feet away got a real screwy mid high tone bouncing all over the place but surprisingly it targeted well, although it was a good 10" down. I thought, by the digital, that it may have been an IH, but even better it was a corbel bell, but this one was marked!!!! And as the reference that I posted says, a small diamond with a dot in it is present as well but it just won't photograph. It's real tiny.

I've included the info I could find on the Corbel Bell but I have had no success at all trying to pinpoint the Brand name SAFE padlock. So anyone out there that has info or can direct me, I'd really appreciate it!

The Ganja pipe I found on the way back to the truck. I find many of them but usually toss them in the trash. This one was pretty unusual so I hung on to it.

Have FUN out there and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed/ODF

Courtesy of classicbells.com:

Major George W. Tucker and possibly the American Ring Company

The oldest Tucker bells are marked with the single patent date of "PAT. OCT 24. [18]76" circling the base of each bell.

The base of the most common style of "patent" or "Tucker" bell is circled with two patent dates of "PAT. OCT 24. [18]76 & MAY 14. [18]78". A maker's mark of a diamond with a small dot in the center may also be present. Later Tucker bells are completely plain, but are otherwise identical in shape and design details to earlier versions.

These bells are found in single throat (slit), double throat, and triple throat versions, with many minor variations in size, shape and design. Nearly all Tucker bells are machine stamped from yellow brass sheet, although small numbers of the triple throat version were also stamped from sheet steel. The bells were probably produced by the American Ring Company of Waterbury, Connecticut, that was organized in October 1852.

"[The American Ring Co. produced] saddle, harness and carriage hardware, patent brass, silvered and iron rings, etc. Their factory, until destroyed by fire, January 5, 1872, was on Canal street [in Waterbury]. The Ring Co. is now [1894] under the control of the Plume & Atwood Manufacturing Co...." (15)

Tucker's two patents describe the manufacture of a double-throat bell stamped from thick sheet bass. Tucker was awarded 21 design patents between 1869 and 1882, including the two for his sleigh bells. (15) Tucker, a prominent, respected citizen of Waterbury and an officer of the American Ring Company, was dismissed in disgrace from the company in 1886 after being accused of embezzling a substantial sum of money. (10)

Tucker was married to Susan A. Northrop. (15)
Congratulation Ed! That is a hell of a hunt! Nice finds for sure, hope you continue finding more interest stuff in that area. GL HH!

Update, I found the lock for sale on old lock auctions. But no information except this one is Brass. Yours might be older.

[attachment=7608]
Holy shit Ed that is a Gene Simons wacky tabacky pipe man way coolYes. that spot is paying off huge,, thanks for braving the elements and sharing
Love the lock Ed. Those are some truly awesome finds. I vote the lock be on the banner.

Ed I just asked my buddy about your lock. He collects locks and loves finding old ones like that when detecting. This is what he knows about them. He thinks that lock is 1890's - 1920's. Safe lock was bought out by Fraim Lock in 1959.
(02-09-2016 10:23 PM)Kajunman Wrote: [ -> ]Love the lock Ed. Those are some truly awesome finds. I vote the lock be on the banner.

Ed I just asked my buddy about your lock. He collects locks and loves finding old ones like that when detecting. This is what he knows about them. He thinks that lock is 1890's - 1920's. Safe lock was bought out by Fraim Lock in 1959.

Thanks for the info!! I'll look up that Fraim Lock Co.!!!

Ed

(02-09-2016 10:19 PM)scott demont Wrote: [ -> ]Holy shit Ed that is a Gene Simons wacky tabacky pipe man way coolYes. that spot is paying off huge,, thanks for braving the elements and sharing

I thought that pipe looked like Kiss! Gene Simmons slipped my mind.

Ed
Oh Ed, one mint away from a very cool coin, but congratulations on no. 10 and stuff!
(02-09-2016 10:19 PM)updownup Wrote: [ -> ]Congratulation Ed! That is a hell of a hunt! Nice finds for sure, hope you continue finding more interest stuff in that area. GL HH!

Update, I found the lock for sale on old lock auctions. But no information except this one is Brass. Yours might be older.

Thanks for the pic!! I have what I think is the #60 on my padlock bail. That one is pretty close! I found one exactly like mine on Google images but the auction on Ebay was over and there was no other info.

Ed

(02-09-2016 11:56 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Oh Ed, one mint away from a very cool coin, but congratulations on no. 10 and stuff!

Man Big T you are right! Thanks! I saw that 16, turned it over and saw a mintmark and almost fell over in the snow. My loop showed an S and I was still happy but disappointed none the less.

Ed
Super cool finds. Helluva day in my book.
Great finds, Ed.
Cool stuff Ed Yes

Like the bell and the lock

that lion headed looking thing looks like part of an old spigot from the victorian era - have found several thru-out the yrs myself - always interesting/cool to find - yours looks like the lion from the wizard of Oz!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's