Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Seated!!! Super Hunt!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
All I can say is WOW Happy What a strange, wacky & awesome day!

Met up with my buddies from that detecting club this morning. Had a bad start and I arrived 10 minutes late...I hate that. Then, while I'm getting geared up, I notice I forgot my belt Sad Besides my pants being way too loose, I lug around a finds pouch, a lesche & my propointer. No belt = problems. Luckily, one of my buds had a spare web belt. Got suited up and we walk several hunted yards to a spot in the woods. I then notice I dropped my pinpointer somewhere from the car to where we were, so, had to walk aaaaalllllllll the way back to find it. Was laying next to my car in the lot. Yes, it was one of those mornings, lol. Add to all this, the web belt wasn't latching correctly, so, I kept having to take it off & put it back on every 15 minutes Doh

Now, we've hit this spot a few times already. Aside from an Indian & a sterling fork, I've never gotten anything from here. Signals are SPARSE. I just don't like this spot. I wound up taking a wrong turn to get to this place this morning, and passed by what appeared to be an OLD picnic grove. It was almost calling out to me as I drove by. But, we were hunting this woods spot I don't like, instead, lol. After a few hours of nothing in the woods, I told my buddies about the spot I eyed. I said why should we stay here all day to get maybe 10 signals between us & hope for something old. The guys reluctantly agreed & we decided to hit the grove spot. We drove there & I could see the guys salivating as we pulled up. I just knew there was silver there. I said if there wasn't, one of my buddies had to strip naked and walk home Tongue Anyways...

All my buddies ran to a sledding hill across the street from this grove, but, I was on the grove itself like white on rice. I believe in intuition, and this place was screaming at me. First few signals were clad. Then more clad. I walked over to one of my buds who sauntered over to where I was and I said, I think this placed is filled in. I can't see the roots of the trees & the dirt is brown, not black, but, I just got this feeling there's silver. He said, well let's keep working it then. Not 5 minutes later...

I get a good silver tone, but, it was a bit choppy. Definitely a signal to get excited over though. Depth said 5 or 6", but, down maybe 3" TOPS, out pops a seated dime! Unfortunately, grazed the reverse with my digger, as you 'll see in the pics. 1883. Glad it wasn't deeper, as the ground here was like asphalt! Rocks, tough dirt, etc. Maybe 5 minutes later, get a perfect signal, but, it was a bit too shallow. Was hoping for a merc or Rosie, but, to my surprise, down maybe 2 or 3" a largie. Appears to be an 1851, but, it's pretty toasted and my eyes are shot. About 20 minutes later, one of my buds pulls a cut reale! Wow. After all this, things quieted down & we only got some doodads for the next hour or so.

My buddies had to leave at 1:30, but, no WAY was I going home Yes I decided to stay another hour and try the sledding hill. First 45 minutes nothing much aside from clad and a wheat or two. Then, at the top of the hill, right next to an old tree, I get a GREAT 38 signal. Depth 7 or 8". I knew it was silver from the tone, but, it was loud. A deep coin should be quieter, or fainter sounding. I said to myself, this might be a silver quarter....or a beer can, lol. Dig the plug & lots of roots. Good sign. Then, right underneath a big, thick root, my pinpointer picks the target up. I dig underneath the root, stick my hand in and pull up a clod of dirt & see big silver Happy An 1883 Italian 2 Lire! Never found one of these before! Same size as a large cent. Beautiful condition aside from some brown stainage. Weird, but, both the seated & 2 Lire are both 1883's.

Jeepers, I was just bitching about not finding a seated the other day. It's been more than 2 years I think. And finally, a decent big silver. I've been in a bit of a funk lately. This hunt has revived me! Re-energized me! I feel like getting nude and running around my neighborhood while waving my detector in the air & yelling "Hi Ho Silllllllllver!" Tongue Sorry for the encyclopedic post guys, but, best hunt in a loooong while & I'm stoked!

Joe
Laughing
Nice job joe, you really deserve a day like this for all the time and effort you put in!Lookin forward to hunting with you we always have a great time!Yoe deserve a bud!!!Beer
Awesome finds. That was a GREAT hunt. That Italian guy has a serious mustache.
(09-14-2013 10:13 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome finds.  That was a GREAT hunt.  That Italian guy has a serious mustache.

Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing! Kinda reminds me of Freddie Mercury...or that Mario guy from the video game, lol.

Joe
Alright Joe!!! That's a great hunt, and it looks like you guys found a new spot to hammer. Btw, how did you know it was a picnic grove?? What where the clues?
Killer coins,congrats! Looks like we both have a nice seated this year. You have the east and I have the west.
(09-14-2013 11:15 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Alright Joe!!! That's a great hunt, and it looks like you guys found a new spot to hammer. Btw, how did you know it was a picnic grove?? What where the clues?

Well, first, the neighborhood it was in has a LOT of age & history. Second, it was tucked into a residential area. So, I said to myself, what's this weird open patch of grass doing smack dab in the middle of all these houses? Then there were the trees. Real old, which led me to believe the spot wasn't reconditioned or done over by the town. Factor all this in, and people must've been using this spot as a gathering place for a long time. One of my buddies thought it was an old wagon road, and another bud thought there might've been houses there at one point. All possible. But, I'm going with picnic grove Happy I'm hitting it again tomorrow. I'll post some pics, and you tell me what you think.

Joe
I asked out of ignorance...I've always wanted to hit a picnic grove, but didn't know how to find them. I don't want you to have a lurker jump on your spot by posting a pic though. Lately I've been having some really good luck researching historic spots...only bad thing is they are almost all at high elevation, and fall is my busy season at work...not sure if I can hit any of them before the snow hits.
Sweet score on the seated and other oldies.!!
Dang dude. 
Thats a rad site.
I love how wrong turns and intuition pay off.

Not all who wander are lost...
Wink
Reference URL's