Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Should I Pull the Trigger?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My eyes have been opened.

I've been using the Safari for a few years now, and as I'm purely an old coin/silver hunter, Minelab has proven to be the ticket to success in my dirt.

Having only used a Safari in the Minelab lineup, and having done very well on coins, I never had even an iota of a feeling to change units. Hey, if it ain't broke, it doesn't need fixing, right?!

Yet, I'm starting to see a recurring theme.

Seems that every time I hunt with someone has a higher model Minelab (etrac/CTX), they edge me out on finds. And I'm not talking by a single silver or two, or the hand of luck, where they simply get their coils over a target first. Rather...

It's a continual, consistent scenario of being outgunned.

To be blunt, and I've even openly said this many times, I think MOST of what the higher end Minelabs have versus what the lower tier units offer is mainly bells & whistles. However...

It is a fact that, while the depth on all of the models from bottom to top is roughly the same, the speed, separation, and target I.D. is enhanced as you move up the price ladder. I never really thought it was enough to upgrade, but seeing is believing.

After hunting with a few guys using etracs/CTX's, and comparing many signals, the proof is in the pudding...the big dogs are better hitting on (and I.D.'ing) the coins that are located near junk, versus mine. Targets not near iron/junk? No advantage to the more expensive units. Nada. But targets intermingled with trash is where I'm being beat.

In practice, I can dig just as much as the other machines can, though I would need to dig very iffy signals and wade through more trash. The etracs/CTX's seem to be MUCH more capable of giving a "DIG ME!" signal on a target near iron. Whereas on the Safari, that same signal would sound VERY mixed/trashy, and I may not chase it.

There are a few other advantages the higher end Minelabs have, but the main one is the speed/separation ability. So...

I'm practically hanging off the fence. Might pull the trigger on an etrac. What do you guys think?

P.S. - I get used to things, and really DON'T want to re-learn a new unit, as I know the Safari like the back of my hand, but I'm always looking for an edge, and the other units seem to have them.

Joe
If money is not an issue then I would say go for it. If it is an issue then I would say dig every iffy signal just in case.
I'd say to go for it And get the etrac! Its not like your a beginner At detecting. You know what you're doing so another learning curve shouldn't be to hard. I believe in you! Good luck if you decide to go with the etrac which I honestly think you should by what you said.
This a great question Joe! My question is are you dedicated to minelab products? There are many new machines with incredible speed and depth with separation. The Teknetics T2SE or G2 have outstanding speed real deep depth and separation. I am not familiar with any minelab product. Bit do know a guy who prefers his G2 over is ctx 3030 in fields and woods.  Whatever you do it will be a wise choice and you'll make the right decision 

Scott
Hi Joe.  Short answer: go for it!  Long answer: it's still go for it but with reasons why. In terms of investment, you might not find enough more coins to cover the upgrade, but your satisfaction and enjoyment of your hobby will be enhanced immeasurably.  The lingering question of whether you left something behind won't nag you as much.
And if you hunt frequently with others who have the top machines you won't feel the frustrations you described above.  A bass boat might not give you a lot more fish than a little john boat, but you will definitely have a better chance and a better experience. Same with just about any pastime. The expenses are rarely recovered, but the satisfaction can't be measured in money terms.

For many of us upgrading is simply not an option, though we know we could do better. It is obvious from reading the posts that hunters with superior detectors find more and better things in worked over, trashy sites than those of us using entry or mid-level machines.

One last idea is that you should do what you can as best you can while you can.
You never know when circumstances will limit your practice of the hobby or cut it off altogether. That's my position now---very limited hunts while I tend to my wife's health problems and the real possibility that it may not get any better.

As problems go, yours is an interesting one, and I'd trade with you right now. Whatever you decide, good luck. ( And good to see you back )
The features that make the CTX the better machine are the ones only it has that apply to detecting. The combined sounds with the bin system and customizable tones along with different separation modes and target trace are what allows it to look places none of the other Minelabs can see with clarity. Buy one in good condition that's got some warranty left,,,,, if you can find a place with good classifieds Happy
Joe, I felt that I was in the same boat with you recently. I understand fully, it takes me a long time to decide to dig because of what you are saying, The Exp II knows there is something there but it stumbles with the information and interpretation. I always write that I am changing my settings in my posts - but it has paid off, espically on my last hunt. I have been looking at ads and reading about the CTX more and more.
There are pros and cons on both of the machines you talked about but overall - the processor might be faster at the interpretation of targets.
So, I say go for it and enjoy the hobby!
(03-05-2016 08:52 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]My eyes have been opened.

I've been using the Safari for a few years now, and as I'm purely an old coin/silver hunter, Minelab has proven to be the ticket to success in my dirt.

Having only used a Safari in the Minelab lineup, and having done very well on coins, I never had even an iota of a feeling to change units. Hey, if it ain't broke, it doesn't need fixing, right?!

Yet, I'm starting to see a recurring theme.

Seems that every time I hunt with someone has a higher model Minelab (etrac/CTX), they edge me out on finds. And I'm not talking by a single silver or two, or the hand of luck, where they simply get their coils over a target first. Rather...

It's a continual, consistent scenario of being outgunned.

To be blunt, and I've even openly said this many times, I think MOST of what the higher end Minelabs have versus what the lower tier units offer is mainly bells & whistles. However...

It is a fact that, while the depth on all of the models from bottom to top is roughly the same, the speed, separation, and target I.D. is enhanced as you move up the price ladder. I never really thought it was enough to upgrade, but seeing is believing.

After hunting with a few guys using etracs/CTX's, and comparing many signals, the proof is in the pudding...the big dogs are better hitting on (and I.D.'ing) the coins that are located near junk, versus mine. Targets not near iron/junk? No advantage to the more expensive units. Nada. But targets intermingled with trash is where I'm being beat.

In practice, I can dig just as much as the other machines can, though I would need to dig very iffy signals and wade through more trash. The etracs/CTX's seem to be MUCH more capable of giving a "DIG ME!" signal on a target near iron. Whereas on the Safari, that same signal would sound VERY mixed/trashy, and I may not chase it.

There are a few other advantages the higher end Minelabs have, but the main one is the speed/separation ability. So...

I'm practically hanging off the fence. Might pull the trigger on an etrac. What do you guys think?

P.S. - I get used to things, and really DON'T want to re-learn a new unit, as I know the Safari like the back of my hand, but I'm always looking for an edge, and the other units seem to have them.

Joe

i'd say get the new one but keep the old one so that you can slowly start to use the new one and slowly inch away from the old one,hope this helps! gl and hh!
Joe I'd go for it! I agree with Big Tony though and I had the same experience when I opted for the SE Pro. The learning curve isn't a big deal if you continually use the machine. Even now I wonder what I'm missing and think that maybe an Etrac/CTX would be the answer. I am going to make a move sooner or later because I use my machine every day and can sometimes see what I might be missing. If I dug every little high tone squeak I'd sometimes never get out of a 10 x 10 foot area. That video Kenny posted about conductive on the Etrac has me wondering a great deal. I dig a lot of iron and nails. The deepest silver coin I've ever dug was a Merc at 9 inches with the SE and stock coil. EVERY other silver coin I've dug is between 3 and 5 inches. So if there are any more silvers out there, they gotta be deeper and mixed with all kinds of junk/iron etc...! I've been doing park grass of late and it's a CRAWL compared to the woods. Hence, more powerful and faster is the answer. With your experience and knowledge of your territory it's a no brainer! Just do it Bro!

Ed/ODF
(03-05-2016 09:28 PM)biggredd1972 Wrote: [ -> ]If money is not an issue then I would say go for it. If it is an issue then I would say dig every iffy signal just in case.

Well, money is always an issue, so I try and do with what I have. I'm a simple guy, if something works, no need to change it. And the Safari works damn well, but from what I've been witnessing, the newer models do have advantages. Tough call!

(03-05-2016 09:36 PM)Zachbl92 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say to go for it And get the etrac! Its not like your a beginner At detecting. You know what you're doing so another learning curve shouldn't be to hard. I believe in you! Good luck if you decide to go with the etrac which I honestly think you should by what you said.

Thanks, Zach. I'm torn. I just know the Safari so well, and have invested so much time into it, it would be like giving up one of senses...I'd be lost. I like KNOWING my equipment cold, like the back of my hand. Yes, I could pick up the etrac nuances, but it takes time, just like any other unit. Decisions, decisions.

(03-05-2016 09:54 PM)scott demont Wrote: [ -> ]This a great question Joe! My question is are you dedicated to minelab products? There are many new machines with incredible speed and depth with separation. The Teknetics T2SE or G2 have outstanding speed real deep depth and separation. I am not familiar with any minelab product. Bit do know a guy who prefers his G2 over is ctx 3030 in fields and woods.  Whatever you do it will be a wise choice and you'll make the right decision 

Scott

Not dedicated to any brand, I simply use what works, Scott. However, for deep coin hunting in our fairly mineralized soil, the Minelabs seem to work best. Yes, other units might go as deep, but without rock-solid dependable I.D. at depth, we'd pretty much have to dig everything, which isn't a great option in trashy parks, fields & lots. But it's not just a question of depth, as all of the Minelabs get about the same, in that department. More importantly, it's the point of the depth capability PLUS faster response time & slightly better performance in iron/trash. Those last 2 are where my detector lags. Not by much, but when you're hunting with guys swinging etracs & CTX's, enough to notice.

(03-05-2016 09:55 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Joe.  Short answer: go for it!  Long answer: it's still go for it but with reasons why. In terms of investment, you might not find enough more coins to cover the upgrade, but your satisfaction and enjoyment of your hobby will be enhanced immeasurably.  The lingering question of whether you left something behind won't nag you as much.
And if you hunt frequently with others who have the top machines you won't feel the frustrations you described above.  A bass boat might not give you a lot more fish than a little john boat, but you will definitely have a better chance and a better experience. Same with just about any pastime. The expenses are rarely recovered, but the satisfaction can't be measured in money terms.

For many of us upgrading is simply not an option, though we know we could do better. It is obvious from reading the posts that hunters with superior detectors find more and better things in worked over, trashy sites than those of us using entry or mid-level machines.

One last idea is that you should do what you can as best you can while you can.
You never know when circumstances will limit your practice of the hobby or cut it off altogether. That's my position now---very limited hunts while I tend to my wife's health problems and the real possibility that it may not get any better.

As problems go, yours is an interesting one, and I'd trade with you right now. Whatever you decide, good luck. ( And good to see you back )

I love this response, because it's QUITE accurate. Been doing this non-stop hard core for 10 years now, and aside from some gold rings found when I used to beach hunt, which I sold for cash, I've never found anything monetarily valuable, outside of a coin worth maybe $50 or $100. But it doesn't matter anyway, as I'd never sell my coins, as they mean too much to me. So, YES, we do it for the THRILL, the CHASE, the ADVENTURE, the HISTORY, nothing more. In that respect, I agree with you 10,000! The satisfaction we derive from this wonderful hobby is more than enough to offset the cost of ANY machine Yes

(03-05-2016 11:25 PM)Dusty Wrote: [ -> ]The features that make the CTX the better machine are the ones only it has that apply to detecting. The combined sounds with the bin system and customizable tones along with different separation modes and target trace are what allows it to look places none of the other Minelabs can see with clarity. Buy one in good condition that's got some warranty left,,,,, if you can find a place with good classifieds Happy

I love me some depth, Dusty, but MAN, add the speed factor and the improved ability in iron of some of these newer units, and it can really unearth what one didn't think was there! I've seen it Wink

(03-07-2016 11:03 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Joe, I felt that I was in the same boat with you recently. I understand fully, it takes me a long time to decide to dig because of what you are saying, The Exp II knows there is something there but it stumbles with the information and interpretation. I always write that I am changing my settings in my posts - but it has paid off, espically on my last hunt. I have been looking at ads and reading about the CTX more and more.
There are pros and cons on both of the machines you talked about but overall - the processor might be faster at the interpretation of targets.
So, I say go for it and enjoy the hobby!

Exactly!!! It's not that my machine can't hear it, it's that the etracs & CTX's have a stronger ability to give a clearer, more definitive "DIG ME!" signal. Especially in bad ground. Or around iron/trash. These mightn't sound like big deals, but if the better machines can just produce 1 or 2 more silvers than mine per hunt, that could be 50 to 100 extra coins per season. The edge Yes

(03-08-2016 07:34 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Joe I'd go for it! I agree with Big Tony though and I had the same experience when I opted for the SE Pro. The learning curve isn't a big deal if you continually use the machine. Even now I wonder what I'm missing and think that maybe an Etrac/CTX would be the answer. I am going to make a move sooner or later because I use my machine every day and can sometimes see what I might be missing. If I dug every little high tone squeak I'd sometimes never get out of a 10 x 10 foot area. That video Kenny posted about conductive on the Etrac has me wondering a great deal. I dig a lot of iron and nails. The deepest silver coin I've ever dug was a Merc at 9 inches with the SE and stock coil. EVERY other silver coin I've dug is between 3 and 5 inches. So if there are any more silvers out there, they gotta be deeper and mixed with all kinds of junk/iron etc...! I've been doing park grass of late and it's a CRAWL compared to the woods. Hence, more powerful and faster is the answer. With your experience and knowledge of your territory it's a no brainer! Just do it Bro!

Ed/ODF

The hardest part about learning Minelabs is actually the tones, so 90% of the learning curve is carried over IMO. But that other 10% can be trying, especially when one is SO used to something else. I love knowing a unit so well that I don't need to think about anything other than listening for signals, when I'm hunting. I hate options, settings and all that jazz, too. But, if having to endure all of the above means more finds, I guess it's worth it. Man, I sometimes wish I was around in the simpler "if it beeps, dig it" days. Chuckle

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's