Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: What's a good pinpointer ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Is there really that much difference in them? Give me some good names. Need to buy one and want a good one.
Get a Garrett Propointer Wink Built like a tank, battery lasts forever, comes with a holster to attach it to your belt, water resistant & gets good depth. One of the best investments you'll EVER make! Just don't ever lose it in the woods...as you'll never find it Sad

P.S. - Minelab makes one too, but, I didn't care for it. Depth not as good as the Garrett, doesn't vibrate as strong & more expensive. Lots of others say the same.

The Pistol Probe is damn good too, but, build isn't great, and it's kinda big & dorky looking IMO.

P.S. - A reminder (and a shameless plug, lol). Visit our classifieds site, as there's a TON of great machines listed there. Save some cash & buy used Happy

Joe
Can't  beat the garrett
GARRETT PRO POINTER. No other.
RE: What's a good pinpointer ?
ok, so GARRETT PRO POINTER it is. Going to Classifieds now...
Thanks...
Good Choice--

Garrett is only 2nd to Sunray Inline probes.  That is another level altogether (IMO)
(09-16-2013 12:27 AM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Good Choice--

Garrett is only 2nd to Sunray Inline probes.  That is another level altogether (IMO)

Quite true Yes Inline probes are tough to beat. However, it depends on what type of set-up you're looking for. If you want a pinpointer that doesn't attach to your detector, get the Garrett. If you want one that attaches to the unit, get the Sun-Ray.

Many advantages to an inline probe (detector attachable)...

Attaches to the detector, so, impossible to lose

Depth is crazy deep, as the probe basically becomes a mini detector once in use

Most importantly, you'll hear the same tones that your detector uses Happy So, for example, if your detector has a low tone for junk targets, a medium tone for nickels, and a high tone for pennies on up, you will hear these same tones in your headphones from the probe. The Garrett simply beeps/vibrates when nearing ANY metal.

Each option has its pluses & minuses...

The Garrett's get lost a lot. Also, as stated above, there's just a beep and/or vibration when nearing a target, no tones. On the other hand...

The Sun-Ray's are a bit more pricey (but worth every penny)

The probe adds more weight to the detector (not much, but, you'll certainly feel it after a long hunt)

You have to remember to flip the switch back & forth after using the probe and detector, as they operate independent of one another. Very easy to be hunting and not getting any targets for 30 minutes, only to realize you never switched from probe to detector, lol

The switches break if not careful, or after heavy usage over a period of years

The Garrett or the Sun-Ray's are the best 2 options, so, you will not go wrong with whatever you choose Wink

Joe
Ron,  Thanks for mentioning the Sunray Inline probe. Never would have known about it..

And, Joe, you're a regular 'Mr. Jeopardy' with all the quick answers, Sure appreciate you taking the time to give me the skinny on things!
mary
Ok, here I go swimming against the tide. All pinpointers have about the same pick up distance, that being a dime at app 1", why? Well the answer is simple. If you place it in the hole and it picks up at say 3", your skunked because it will sound off anywhere in the hole and you will never find the target.
Now I will admit that garret has the best shape case to hold, but this slim case kills it's ability to be modded. I am one who always wants a little EXTRA from my equipment. I use an inexpensive, $18 ,Cen Tech pinpointer from Harbor Freight. The on button is a problem on this unit so I replaced it with a new button from radio shack. it took me about 15 min. I added a bright blue LED that glows when target is located. This took about 10 additional min. You just hook the LED leads to the existing buzzer. Hay, it's two years old, works great. It even has a sensitivity control on the outside of the case. Yes I have 2 more pinpointers, but that is my go to for finding small targets. Hay, Just my opinion,  Frank...
(09-18-2013 04:30 PM)Frankn Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, here I go swimming against the tide. All pinpointers have about the same pick up distance, that being a dime at app 1", why? Well the answer is simple. If you place it in the hole and it picks up at say 3", your skunked because it will sound off anywhere in the hole and you will never find the target.
Now I will admit that garret has the best shape case to hold, but this slim case kills it's ability to be modded. I am one who always wants a little EXTRA from my equipment. I use an inexpensive, $18 ,Cen Tech pinpointer from Harbor Freight. The on button is a problem on this unit so I replaced it with a new button from radio shack. it took me about 15 min. I added a bright blue LED that glows when target is located. This took about 10 additional min. You just hook the LED leads to the existing buzzer. Hay, it's two years old, works great. It even has a sensitivity control on the outside of the case. Yes I have 2 more pinpointers, but that is my go to for finding small targets. Hay, Just my opinion,  Frank...

It is true that a pinpointer that is too sensitive is practically useless. I had a pistol probe for about a week and sold it. It could detect a quarter from five or six inches away. It was a motion detector too. Sucked. Not all pinpointers have the same range. I have the bh/fisher ones. They are the exact same thing by the way. They can hit a coin at half inch maybe 3/4 at most. The Pro Pointer hits coins from around two inches which is perfect. The way it vibrates and the sound i.dicates how close the target is is also a big plus.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's