Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Opinions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, unscientific opinions for inquiring minds...

Like everyone else, I've accidentally left my detector in the trunk many a time, in all sorts of extreme weather. So, question is...

Do you think harsh cold does more damage to a detector, or scorching heat?

Just a guess, but I'd have to go with extreme heat, as it could melt the components in the control box and cause failure. Not sure what, if any, negative effects extremely low temps could create.

Has anyone had detector problems stemming from a situation like this?

On a not so similar note, I've accidentally put my detector in my trunk, and left it on overnight in pinpoint mode. The batteries obviously died, but no breakage. Scary feeling though on an expensive piece of equipment.

Joe
I'd go with the "scorching heat". But i'm sure the below freezing temperatures aren't great for the detector as well. I usually always bring my detector inside just to play it safe unless I know its not going to be crazy cold outside. Haven't detected during the summer yet but i'm sure i'd do the same thing. I say just play it safe. So obviously no situations for me yet. Besides some weird mark on the LCD screen that might be water...I have no idea. When I rub it, it goes away. but then comes back. No idea what it's from but it sure pissed me off when I saw it. HA!
Heat is a bad scenario but extreme cold is worse. Reasoning behind this is the cold circuit boards condense moisture which, once in, will have a hard time venting out of the box. But this only occurs on repetitive freeze thaw situations if your machine has been subjected to water, or soakings in rain. The melting point of the solder on the boards is much greater than what you'd find in a car trunk but the pressure sensitive control panel is very susceptible to high heat. I now have problems with my power on button from almost never taking the unit out of my truck. I checked the circuit boards with a magnifier and have no damage from water, unbelievably, as I've gotten the thing soaked on several occasions. It's a fairly simple fix for a part that's about $70 USD from a control panel aftermarket place in the UK. If anything, the control unit should be removed and kept inside a dry Igloo cooler to at least maintain a moderate temp year round if you keep it in the vehicle. Sven should know about this and drop a line about it. But this is my understanding from research I've done on it. You're car radio and CD player are made of similar manufactured circuitry but you don't remove them. The front panel of some units are made to be removed for anti theft. What they don't tell you is the removable control panel on some of the higher end radios is subject to high heat, just like our push button panels.

Ed/ODF
I'd have to be the diplomat on this one and walk the line thinking both could have a damaging effect but cold gets my vote. Even in an enclosed vehicle temps shouldn't get to a melting point or components in the cars would melt. However , severe low temps will raise hell with LCD displays , at least on the older units. I stored a White's XLT for several winters at a location that saw -20 and it failed when I brought it out of hibernation. It easily reaches 130 daily in a car/truck here in the summer and I've never seen a harmful effect on any of my detectors.
(03-08-2016 11:51 PM)Zachbl92 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd go with the "scorching heat". But i'm sure the below freezing temperatures aren't great for the detector as well. I usually always bring my detector inside just to play it safe unless I know its not going to be crazy cold outside. Haven't detected during the summer yet but i'm sure i'd do the same thing. I say just play it safe. So obviously no situations for me yet. Besides some weird mark on the LCD screen that might be water...I have no idea. When I rub it, it goes away. but then comes back. No idea what it's from but it sure pissed me off when I saw it. HA!

Yeah, that's what I would say, too, but Ed & Dusty bring up good points.

(03-09-2016 12:53 AM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Heat is a bad scenario but extreme cold is worse. Reasoning behind this is the cold circuit boards condense moisture which, once in, will have a hard time venting out of the box. But this only occurs on repetitive freeze thaw situations if your machine has been subjected to water, or soakings in rain. The melting point of the solder on the boards is much greater than what you'd find in a car trunk but the pressure sensitive control panel is very susceptible to high heat. I now have problems with my power on button from almost never taking the unit out of my truck. I checked the circuit boards with a magnifier and have no damage from water, unbelievably, as I've gotten the thing soaked on several occasions. It's a fairly simple fix for a part that's about $70 USD from a control panel aftermarket place in the UK. If anything, the control unit should be removed and kept inside a dry Igloo cooler to at least maintain a moderate temp year round if you keep it in the vehicle. Sven should know about this and drop a line about it. But this is my understanding from research I've done on it. You're car radio and CD player are made of similar manufactured circuitry but you don't remove them. The front panel of some units are made to be removed for anti theft. What they don't tell you is the removable control panel on some of the higher end radios is subject to high heat, just like our push button panels.

Ed/ODF

True about the car components, makes sense. Condensation is a definite factor.

(03-09-2016 12:58 AM)Dusty Wrote: [ -> ]I'd have to be the diplomat on this one and walk the line thinking both could have a damaging effect but cold gets my vote. Even in an enclosed vehicle temps shouldn't get to a melting point or components in the cars would melt. However , severe low temps will raise hell with LCD displays , at least on the older units. I stored a White's XLT for several winters at a location that saw -20 and it failed when I brought it out of hibernation. It easily reaches 130 daily in a car/truck here in the summer and I've never seen a harmful effect on any of my detectors.

Even barring reaching the melting point, let's say it's 110+ plus in a vehicle, or enclosed area, I would think that kind of heat could be enough to cause some type of potential damage, but your point about guys who hunt in very hot climates, with no damage to their detectors, kind of challenges my belief.

Fortunately, I've never had a problem with either, though I do recall seeing posts over the years from guys who claimed to have left their units in hot cars for days on end, and the machines went crazy, and didn't work properly. I have a nasty habit of forgetting my detector in the trunk overnight. And although it's rarely obscenely hot or cold here, I've always wondered what the breaking point is for these things.

Joe
Joe I think where you live plays a role. Down here in late July and August when it hits 102 , it can reach 120+ degrees in your trunk or inside your car. I know a couple of guys who have ruined their detector by leaving them in their trunk with that much heat.
I forgot about my Garrett CXII - it was a hot night and a hotter day. The battery compartment twisted a bit and the battery cover doesn't fit properly. It also has an issue with making good battery contact. Although Dick Stout said that was a design issue - so after several years the batteries don't make good contact and you can't start the detector.
In my case the cold has no effect on coils or shafts but I do not leave the computer part or batteries in the car overnight. Cold will drain the batteries (I always pull them away from contacts when not in use), also the damness will work against the contacts or circuit boards - moisture is the culprit in this case. Also if you are staying near water - either fresh or salt - take the main part of the detector inside overnight.
But the worst is folks who run over thier machines after getting in the car and forgetting to put it in the trunk. Over the years I have know a few folks who did that.
Me I left two digging tools behind - never saw them again.
Reference URL's