Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Need a good,very cheap detector
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi,
I am very low on funds but would like a much better detector than my current md-3010-ii,which has,for 3 hours of hunting,only produced a piece of a plough blade,does anyone know any extremely cheap,possibly pre owned detector websites? If so which detectors do you advise getting from them?
Thanks
Thevipermc
Hey Viper! As I only have experience with my AT Pro I can't really give much information. From what I've seen the AT Pro is a great detector as it has standard mode and pro mode for when you become comfortable with your machine. It's done me well so far and can run you $400 for a used one with just the stock coil if you can find the deal. I've looked at detectors for my girlfriend that were cheaper and i've looked at the fisher f22, teknetics eurotek pro and the teknetics delta 4000. They are in the 200-300 price range new. You can check out http://metaldetectorreviews.net/ and look at reviews and prices and get more of a idea for detectors. Hope ya find something that suits your price range and finds ya some goodies. I'm sure you'll get plenty more suggestions soon! don't give up! best of luck.
zach
Thevipermc, are you near any MD clubs? Plenty of times folks at these clubs are looking to sell older machines and they will explain how to use them too. Price is depending on condition, age and model.
Hey viper! The MD clubs is a great reference from Tony. The way it goes with detectors is you have to spend a minimum of ~ $200 to get to the starting line. Average is between $250 and $350. Any of the Garretts, Teknetics or Bounty Hunters on the low end of that cost, if you can find them used in good condition, are great detectors to start out with. I went for the Delta 4000 from Teknetics right from the get go! It paid for itself ($279.95) in clad within a year. They also have an Alpha model which is a great starter machine. Garrett has the Ace 250 which has been around for a long time and many I know that own them are very happy. I don't know what they cost but they're in that ballpark price wise. The Bounty Hunter, originally by Pioneer Detectors but now owned by First Texas, who makes the Teknetics and Fisher models as well, are great starter machines. Used, some of the older but better BH models can be had for $150 or less. I can't knowingly say how good they are from my perspective but I've heard a lot of good things about them. There are a boatload of them out there on the market now. Even the new Minelab Go machines top out at around $300 plus. Only thing I can say to close this is do some research on what I've mentioned and do a lot of looking around at other forums and detector sales sites. Our classifieds has some really great deals but you have to stay on top of it and be ready to pounce on a deal when it comes up. Good luck with your decision and if you have any questions about any interest you may have in any of the above, don't be afraid to ask. We all started pretty much where you are right now. Some of us frustrated and wondering, some of us making the machine work. It takes time, experience and knowledge of the machine. This week I am the KING of bottle caps and memorial pennies using a Minelab SE Pro!! LOL!!

Ed/ODF
You're on a forum named TreasureClassifieds.com, and you're asking for references on where to find pre-owned detectors?!?! Try hitting that BIG, RED LINK UP TOP THAT SAYS "CLASSIFIEDS" Wink

Another dim bulb in the string of Christmas lights Bandit

Joe
(03-14-2016 10:25 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]You're on a forum named TreasureClassifieds.com, and you're asking for references on where to find pre-owned detectors?!?! Try hitting that BIG, RED LINK UP TOP THAT SAYS "CLASSIFIEDS" Wink

Another dim bulb in the string of Christmas lights Bandit

Joe
Practically no-one on the classifieds will ship to the uk,where I live and there are NO cheap detectors for sale in the uk

(03-14-2016 09:05 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Hey viper! The MD clubs is a great reference from Tony. The way it goes with detectors is you have to spend a minimum of ~ $200 to get to the starting line. Average is between $250 and $350. Any of the Garretts, Teknetics or Bounty Hunters on the low end of that cost, if you can find them used in good condition, are great detectors to start out with. I went for the Delta 4000 from Teknetics right from the get go! It paid for itself ($279.95) in clad within a year. They also have an Alpha model which is a great starter machine. Garrett has the Ace 250 which has been around for a long time and many I know that own them are very happy. I don't know what they cost but they're in that ballpark price wise. The Bounty Hunter, originally by Pioneer Detectors but now owned by First Texas, who makes the Teknetics and Fisher models as well, are great starter machines. Used, some of the older but better BH models can be had for $150 or less. I can't knowingly say how good they are from my perspective but I've heard a lot of good things about them. There are a boatload of them out there on the market now. Even the new Minelab Go machines top out at around $300 plus. Only thing I can say to close this is do some research on what I've mentioned and do a lot of looking around at other forums and detector sales sites. Our classifieds has some really great deals but you have to stay on top of it and be ready to pounce on a deal when it comes up. Good luck with your decision and if you have any questions about any interest you may have in any of the above, don't be afraid to ask. We all started pretty much where you are right now. Some of us frustrated and wondering, some of us making the machine work. It takes time, experience and knowledge of the machine. This week I am the KING of bottle caps and memorial pennies using a Minelab SE Pro!! LOL!!

Ed/ODF

I'm looking a little cheaper than that,£110 Max(about $130-140)

(03-14-2016 06:12 PM)Zachbl92 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Viper! As I only have experience with my AT Pro I can't really give much information. From what I've seen the AT Pro is a great detector as it has standard mode and pro mode for when you become comfortable with your machine. It's done me well so far and can run you $400 for a used one with just the stock coil if you can find the deal. I've looked at detectors for my girlfriend that were cheaper and i've looked at the fisher f22, teknetics eurotek pro and the teknetics delta 4000. They are in the 200-300 price range new. You can check out http://metaldetectorreviews.net/ and look at reviews and prices and get more of a idea for detectors. Hope ya find something that suits your price range and finds ya some goodies. I'm sure you'll get plenty more suggestions soon! don't give up! best of luck.
zach

Thanks,will look through this carefully and let you know if I find anything! =-)
Check out a fisher f11 , they are running about $150 on eBay .i do not know if they would ship to the UK for that . 
   The other thing to be concerned about is if it will work well in European soil , I have no experience in such things but I have read that there is a difference.
   I have not used an f11 , but if it is as good as my f2  that I use as a backup / guest detector , it will make some nice finds for you.
   I don't know pricing but maybe the lowest priced Minelab go find might get close to your price.
   I am not familiar with the model you say you already have , if it gets any kind of depth at all , perhaps you should keep using it , you won't find anything if the coil doesn't get over anything. 
   Whatever you decide , I wish you good luck and happy hunting.
Good luck on your search Viper. I have seen working detectors very cheaply priced at thrift stores, like Goodwill and Salvation Army. Also I have seen them in the tabloid size classified newspapers that you find near the check-out  counters at super markets, and they are usually local ads. And you can post "want to buy" ads in them for free. Should be something similar in UK.
I think Viper might have explained his circumstances a little more completely, but I was surprised at your response Joe. Don't think we should address fellow members in that way. Spammers yes, members no.
(03-19-2016 06:10 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]I think Viper might have explained his circumstances a little more completely, but I was surprised at your response Joe. Don't think we should address fellow members in that way. Spammers yes, members no.

Shade, you're 100% correct. As we're a community, I obviously have to conduct myself in the same manner as I expect everyone else to - with civility & respect. I was indeed harsh, and anyone who knows me well on here, or in the flesh, will tell you that type of reply isn't normally in my nature.

The reason I replied the way I did was very simple, and it was because...

In the role I have of running this site, I deal with a CRAPLOAD of spam, fake user accounts, nonsense posts, etc.,etc., etc., most of which you guys never see, because they're cut off at the pass. So...

I tend to look at certain posts, or aspects of the site, with a watchful eye. It NEEDS to be done to keep the trash out. However, I don't always get it right, or catch something in time. Case in point, there was a fellow who posted on here about 2 weeks, Hung Lo. He claimed to be from southern NJ, put up a post or two, and then spammed the board with a bullshit ad for King Detectors. I was 99% positive he was a spammer after his first post, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt...and it came back to bite me in the ass.

When I read vipermc's post, I noticed he was fairly new, didn't even have an avatar in his profile, and, here's the clincher...

He's using the forum of a detector classifieds website, asking for referrals about detector classified websites. This is like walking into an Italian restaurant, and asking the owner if he knows of any good Italian restaurants. Would that not be odd behavior? If he initially explained (as he did above in one of his replies) that he tried using our classifieds already, and couldn't get anyone to ship to his country, it would've made more sense, but I didn't know that at the time.

Not trying to justify my response, which, again, I fully admit was harsh, but simply trying to provide some more clarification on WHY I answered the way I did.

You guys don't see it, but there is an immense amount of B.S. that goes into keeping this place clean & tidy. So, while I love posting, learning, and talking here like the rest of you, I also must be very vigilant to red flags that pop up, and need to be addressed.

I'm not a faceless, nameless person sitting behind a keyboard. I too get things wrong, fall behind on tasks & have bad days, like everyone else. I'm a regular guy who - like you - loves this hobby. So, dealing with all I have to, I may sometimes drop the ball, or handle something incorrectly. And when I do, I will be the first to apologize, if I was indeed in the wrong.

Joe
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's