Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Tokens
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone have a good source of info on tokens that can help ID these. I have looked online but an unable to find anything. Found in Alabama in an area that has produce 1800's relics and coins. Made of aluminum I think.
W.M Stewart -- Mt. Carmel AL (one listed on ebay) It has a high price but has not sold so rare is in the eye of the seller sometimes.

"In the late 1800s and early 1900s, men who worked for sawmills and logging companies often paid their employees with tokens or script which could be used to purchase goods at a company-owned commissary store."

Nice finds!
Thanks Ron!
Cool find's man and welcome to the forumHi! If ya get a chance head over to
http://forum.treasureclassifieds.com/For...4KE0v.dpbs
Part of the forum and introduce yourself and tell us more about yourself.
Hope you enjoy your stay and I hope to see some more sweet finds from you in the futureYesYes
Those are interesting finds Bill. I love it when something found has a traceable story behind it.  If your "pay" was good at the company store but nowhere else, then you were pretty much bound to the company and the store. I can hear Tennessee Ernie Ford singing right now. Good job.
I just wanted to share a site I found wile researching the tokens I found. The site is tokencatalog.com  there is a ton of information on this site. I hope this will help in the future if you need to find info on a freshly dug token.
Bill
Very cool tokens, Bill, congratulations!
Rare finds Bill. Not very many local tokens are found. Great catch!!

Ed
Wow very historical finds! Token are awesome, and yours are right up there with the most interesting ones I've seen posted for a while. Great score!
They're called "Gay 90s Tokens"

1890s - 1910s basically

More specific it looks like Ron hit the nail on the head that they're some sort of company trade for merchandise type tokens at a company store Yes

PS
No Gay!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's