Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Would you pay to get permission to hunt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was visiting my brother in law and he got a visitor who he told me owned an old site of a long closed down dance hall.
   When I asked about it and asked about permission to detect , he shared that it was opened in the teens and ran pretty much continuously until the early sixties and that his family had owned it since the late 40s.
   But then he said for fifty bucks he'd let me detect it, I told him I'd have to think about that one and got his phone number.
   My question is ; would you guys pay for permission to detect someone's property ?
I am leaning towards not doing it , but the history of this place really intrigues me.
   So anyway , what do you think?
Absolutely not! I'd mow an old lady's lawn but that'd be about it! Sounds like the fella thinks it's a detectorist's Disneyland! Lend him your detector and let him go walk around for a week and let him see what he finds. That'll lower his "fee" after he digs up a thousand pull tabs and beer bottle caps!

Ed
I may very well be the odd man out on this, but yes, I would pay. However...

There's a difference between giving something to say "thanks" to the property owner, versus being gouged, and I feel like you're in the latter scenario.

How many guys hand over their finds (or a portion of) to the homeowner, or a bottle of wine/liquor, or a gift card, etc.? It's fairly common, shows good form, and is the right thing to do after being gifted with permission from someone, IMO. Is this really any different than paying? I don't want to start splitting hairs, however...

If someone was trying to strongarm me into paying, just on principle, I wouldn't go for it. But if I was given the opportunity to hunt a good site, whether it turned out terrible or well, returning the kindness in the form of something is optimal. I've done it a few times, and will gladly do so again, in the future.

Joe
I would not pay a fee but I would offer to split the finds after all it's his land but your time and effort. If both of you can come to an agreement on terms and stick to it.
(03-18-2016 09:03 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]I may very well be the odd man out on this, but yes, I would pay. However...

There's a difference between giving something to say "thanks" to the property owner, versus being gouged, and I feel like you're in the latter scenario.

How many guys hand over their finds (or a portion of) to the homeowner, or a bottle of wine/liquor, or a gift card, etc.? It's fairly common, shows good form, and is the right thing to do after being gifted with permission from someone, IMO. Is this really any different than paying? I don't want to start splitting hairs, however...

If someone was trying to strongarm me into paying, just on principle, I wouldn't go for it. But if I was given the opportunity to hunt a good site, whether it turned out terrible or well, returning the kindness in the form of something is optimal. I've done it a few times, and will gladly do so again, in the future.

Joe
    My normal operating procedure is to offer some of the finds to the land owner , and whether or not they take any of it I always send a thank you card a few days later. 
   The site has me excited , but the "rental fee" is really rubbing me the wrong way. I just wondered if anyone on here has actually paid to detect a property. I have been a little sheltered here in my neck of the woods , getting permissions from local farmers and homeowners and hitting parks and while on vacation the beaches.
   At the moment I am leaning towards just letting that spot go and maybe in the future seeing if the guy changes his mind , I doubt many people will get permission to detect it , so it will just sit.

Thanks for the input guys , and GL and HH.
 Pat
(03-18-2016 04:40 PM)Digsit Wrote: [ -> ]I was visiting my brother in law and he got a visitor who he told me owned an old site of a long closed down dance hall.
   When I asked about it and asked about permission to detect , he shared that it was opened in the teens and ran pretty much continuously until the early sixties and that his family had owned it since the late 40s.
   But then he said for fifty bucks he'd let me detect it, I told him I'd have to think about that one and got his phone number.
   My question is ; would you guys pay for permission to detect someone's property ?
I am leaning towards not doing it , but the history of this place really intrigues me.
   So anyway , what do you think?

I wouldn't do it,especially for that much
I would pay for permission. How much that depends. Even if they were not actually charging me. I would give them a gift of appreciation. Sometimes I travel far to hunt and there is a certain about of cost in fuel etc. Fifty dollars seems a little high for a one time shot. But fifty dollars for multiple hunts seems fair. Heck, for him to even consider is a good thing. I think you could work something out that works for you both. Especially if it could be a real sweet spot. Keep in mind, you could get a decent coin for $50 bucks. But if your like me, it won't satisfy the itch. Digsit, shake it off, don't let it bother you, and strike up a deal. Maybe $50 for you & a friend for a weekend. Happy I say put your negotiation hat and work this deal. It could be a hunt of a lifetime. If it does not produce much, back to negotiation. You never know, you might make a friend and he might not want to take anymore money. Good Luck and wish you the best. Keep us updated.
For a lower amount maybe!! I think how many people have detected it so far without permission #1 is there $50 dollars worth of silver and gold #2 like Ed said pull tabs and bottle caps. BUT ITS YOUR CASH
Consider how much potential the site has then negotiate a better deal.
I know folks who travel to fans and pay per visit because of the possible potential.
So far I have not nor have I been invited by the folks who do but that may change.
I would not pay to hunt. I have offered to show them anything I find and they can have it if they want just let me take a picture of it first. That of course is the last resort. I have offered to split any valuable finds. Still looking for that valuable find.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's