Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: A little coin roll treasure hunting today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not a bad haul. Six silver coins, a handful of wheats and a couple KG Canadian cents.
That's awesome man. I've always wanted to try and coin roll hunt. You can't lose money right? I'd imagine you can't lol. Just gotta go to the bank and get the rolls and go through em. And if you don't get anything good you return everything not worth keeping. Pretty cool in my opinion and I'd love to try one day.
Wow! Great return! I've always wanted to try it. I should take pointers from you lol.
(03-23-2016 07:08 PM)Zachbl92 Wrote: [ -> ]That's awesome man. I've always wanted to try and coin roll hunt. You can't lose money right? I'd imagine you can't lol. Just gotta go to the bank and get the rolls and go through em. And if you don't get anything good you return everything not worth keeping. Pretty cool in my opinion and I'd love to try one day.

Sometimes you do lose money...short rolls, foreign coins, damaged coins, etc. But you also can get extra coins in rolls, dimes in penny rolls, etc. And if you have to pay to dump the coins in a coin counter like a CoinStar, it definitely doesn't pay. Luckily I've got a few accounts at local banks with free coin counters so I can just dump them without having to re-roll them. Sometimes the coin counters will short you too, but I'm still riding on the positive side of a dump from a few years ago that credited a bunch of halves as dollar coins. I even told them, and I still got to keep the extra. I think it was like $120. I've been roll hunting since I was a kid, and there's always cool stuff out there to find in coin rolls.
Phewwww..... I had to do a double take! Lucky finds Nick!! I've never coin roll hunted but I've watched the vids on YouTube. AMAZING that they are still out there! And they count as found silvers too! WTG man!

Ed/ODF
Nice roll hunting Nick!! I quit trying never find anything
Very nice! I tried my luck with a few rolls in the past, with no winners, but it's really the kind of thing one has to do regularly, or even semi-regularly to have any decent success with. A lot of people think you can just go and buy a couple rolls of dimes, quarters & halves, and they'll magically find gobs of silver. While I'm sure it happens from time to time, the reality is, banks have wisened up, and most now pre-sort the coins when someone brings them in. In addition, once people start dumping large amounts of coins back at the counter, it can raise red flags, which is why many hardcore CRH's have quite a few banks they dump at. I think the best shot of success in CRH now lays in the small, independent banks that are located in tiny towns and rural areas.

You're in the minority, as you obviously know what you're doing, have experience with it, and probably try your luck on a fairly consistent basis, which is why the odds have caught up with you, and you ferreted out 6 fantastic silvers. Congrats, Nick Beer

Joe
Nick that is a nice haul. I thought of purchasing a roll. But it because I was viewing it on ebay. I'm afraid they have planted the end coin and the rest of the roll will not be as exciting. You ever bought a roll from ebay? Congrats too!
(03-24-2016 08:43 PM)updownup Wrote: [ -> ]Nick that is a nice haul. I thought of purchasing a roll. But it because I was viewing it on ebay. I'm afraid they have planted the end coin and the rest of the roll will not be as exciting. You ever bought a roll from ebay? Congrats too!

I would not buy the rolls on eBay, as you can almost always get the coins they include in the roll for much less by themselves. If there's a good coin on one or both ends...it's been assembled. There's really no such thing as "unsearched" coins. You'd be better off putting the money you'd spend on a roll towards just buying one nice coin that you really want. I only do coin rolls from the bank, so the cost of the "treasure hunt" for interesting stuff is almost free. All that said, if the eBay rolls appeal to you, then go for it.
(03-24-2016 11:39 AM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Very nice! I tried my luck with a few rolls in the past, with no winners, but it's really the kind of thing one has to do regularly, or even semi-regularly to have any decent success with. A lot of people think you can just go and buy a couple rolls of dimes, quarters & halves, and they'll magically find gobs of silver. While I'm sure it happens from time to time, the reality is, banks have wisened up, and most now pre-sort the coins when someone brings them in. In addition, once people start dumping large amounts of coins back at the counter, it can raise red flags, which is why many hardcore CRH's have quite a few banks they dump at. I think the best shot of success in CRH now lays in the small, independent banks that are located in tiny towns and rural areas.

You're in the minority, as you obviously know what you're doing, have experience with it, and probably try your luck on a fairly consistent basis, which is why the odds have caught up with you, and you ferreted out 6 fantastic silvers. Congrats, Nick Beer

Joe

I agree and disagree, People do think they can buy a few rolls and make out, which can happen, but really reduces your odds. I searched a little over $600 in coins to find these. I never search quarters, and rarely do nickels. My suggestion is to always ask for customer wrapped or hand wrapped rolls. I find that most people at the banks here do not care about old coins, except a few old tellers who remember he silver rush of the 80s.

I disagree that small town banks are the way to go. My experience has been that big city banks produce better. More people, more houses, more coins stashed, more estates being cleaned out means that you have a bigger influx of new material coming in all the time. All it takes is one coin roll hunter in one small town to have searched and re-searched all the coins in that area, and the turnover of new coins is very low. 

I think coin counting machines have helped us too, as people just dump whatever is round and metal in there, so coins that might have been picked out if someone counted them by hand, instead just end up in the machines and get rolled. 

I have searched a lot of half dollars, processed by the banks and found plenty of silver. While they may cull some of it out, they're not getting everything, but competition from other searchers is really intense in halves, and banks are definitely annoyed with all the people doing just halves. I was able to complete a good part of a set of Franklin halves for face value when I was doing more searching.  

Large coin dumps can be a problem, yes. Especially if you're doing halves, as the $ amounts add up fast. For me, I'm just doing this occasionally, when the mood strikes me, so dumping the $600 in coins at two banks yesterday while I was running other errands was no issue at all, and I really only split it up because I only had one bucket handy to carry the coins in.  If I were doing it every week or few days, yeah, they're going to make a fuss. Processing coin costs them money, so if you go outside what's "reasonable" it makes sense that they'd restrict it or want to charge you for it. 

I've had plenty of times where I've found nothing worth keeping, but those days are rare. There always seems to be something interesting I'll squirrel away, silver, wheats, foreign coins, counterstamped novelty coins, etc. Generally, I want a quick "fix" I'll search some pennies. Most $25 boxes of pennies (machine wrapped or hand wrapped) have at least 10-25 wheats in them, usually at least one or two in the teens, and a few interesting foreign coins. And that amount is easy enough to reroll quickly and deposit anywhere. Dimes are hit or miss, but $250 in hand wrapped rolls often seems to produce a silver or two for me. 

If you're at a bank for any reason, always ask for halves and big dollars. I've been handed more silver this way than any other and then the clad ones are fun to spend and leave for tips. 

Also, if you go to one bank regularly and they know you're into old coins they may ask you if you're interested in some old bills...that's how I got this little pile. 

Hope that helps anyone thinking they might try their luck! It's like detecting, you never know what you might find - you have good days and bad days.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's