Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: First Relic hunt..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some buddies (Ron, Marc, Jayson) and I hunted for relics (my first time) at several nearby sites. Despite sleep deprivation and heatstroke I had an absolute blast, and now have the relic hunter bug bad.

Here are my keepers from the hunt....

First my favorite 3 finds:

A suspender buckle...
[attachment=807]

A pocketwatch case (that I think is gold! it has a serial number etched in the back rim)
[attachment=808]

And a musketball (size of a peanut MnM)
[attachment=809]

Here are some bullet casings (top one doesn't have any markings..very weird)
[attachment=811]

And finally here are some randoms (including a button that looks like brass is peeking out of crud and I think a silver back of pocketwatch top left...)
[attachment=810]

Thanks for lookin'.
HH!
MM
Cool finds. I'm curious. What do you do differently when relic hunting than when coin hunting. When I'm digging, I think I am doing a combination of both. I like digging anything that I find interesting. I try to stick to old sites too. That way I never know what I might find.
Whoa! That suspender clip is a thing of beauty!!! Way to go on the gold, too Happy

What's that round silver looking thing with the embossing in the bottom pic? It sure is purty.

Yep, the needle has further been injected into your arm now. It's official, you're hopelessly addicted Tongue

Joe
(09-17-2013 09:53 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Cool finds.  I'm curious.  What do you do differently when relic hunting than when coin hunting.  When I'm digging, I think I am doing a combination of both.  I like digging anything that I find interesting.  I try to stick to old sites too.  That way I never know what I might find.

The biggest 2 biggest differences in my beginners opinion is 1.) you dig anything thats a repeatable signal...There just isn't all that modern trash at old sites...the equivalent is square nails, but like Marc said those are hand forged!...so if you like  old stuff its all going to be interesting now matter what you dig up...if you just cherry picked high tones looking for silver you'd miss out on alot of really cool iron/other metal stuff.

That being said I did start ignoring what I thought were bullet casing signals...
but out of all I dug I only had 2 of the same kind.

The other big difference to me is how careful you have to be when digging...things are soooo fragile.
Now couple that with dirt thats so hard you have to pick it first, and it makes for an adrenaline filled hunt.

(09-17-2013 10:16 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]What's that round silver looking thing with the embossing in the bottom pic? It sure is purty.

I dunno, its really thin almost like a canister thats been flattened (thinking maybe a woman's case for some beauty product...heh
Micah, 

Glad you had a good time.  I often worry about taking out newbie relic hunters because many are use to coin shooting and it can be a very hard and long day for just a few goodies!!

Personally, I find the history of a site part of the thrill.  Seeing an old hand stacked wall. Or in the case of the last site, an old rock building still 70% there.  Or the old cellar hole. Or the old well that was the so important to the people living there!!

The finds are just a bonus sometimes!!  A very welcomed bonus!! Happy

Head up again whenever you are ready (and recovered form the heatstroke!!)

That is a great score if that pocket watch is gold.   I'm pretty sure the other pocket watch cover is silver.    Clean it up a bit with baking soda and see if you can tell if it is plated or not.  If it is plated, you will see areas that it looks "Flakey" and you can see the base metal underneath.
Great hunt Micah! That suspender clip andgold watch cover are real nice.
Will, you ARE a relic hunter man!
Ron cool photos!! Love gold country!
Love those 1850s gold camp relics!  Very nice site. Looks like you might be on the trail of some tongue and wreath buckles !! Keep up the good work.
(09-17-2013 11:41 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Great hunt Micah! That suspender clip andgold watch cover are real nice.
Will, you ARE a relic hunter man!
Ron cool photos!! Love gold country!

I guess I am. I will just call myself an all purpose detector.
Reference URL's