Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: No indian chiefs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Got an PM today from a newish member, saying he feels awkward posting as he's the new guy in town, and asking me a question about a particular detector brand.

Just to put it out there, I don't care whether someone has been doing this for 3 months, or 30 years, once they join our community, we're all on equal footing. Yes, some of us might be better at some particular aspect of the hobby, but let's face it, nobody here is making a living from treasure hunting. So, we're all in the same boat, at the end of the day.

I've been doing this hardcore for 10 years now, and while I think I'm a decent hunter, I probably only know a tenth of what many other guys do. But, I still have my experiences, my thoughts & my opinions, which I freely share. They may not be correct all the time, others may not agree with them, and they may even come across as ludicrous to some, but that's okay, because we are ALL here to discuss, learn & exchange information, while we try and have some fun at the same time.

Whether you've been hunting for a week or a lifetime, whether you've been a member here for a day or since day one, nobody is above anyone else.

I say all this because, if one person mentioned it to me in private, others too might be feeling the same way. And if you are, don't. This community exists equally for EVERY ONE OF US.

Joe
Very well said Joe. The only difference is you and Sven one says administrator other says moderator. Other than that we are all alike. We all swing coils
Amen Brother!
I'm glad you posted this Joe. And I hope every new or prospective member reads and heeds it.  No matter whether I have asked a question or made a comment, I have always gotten a sincere, helpful response. Take a look at a lot of the other detector themed sites out there---they just don't measure up in this regard.
Couldn't have said it better. We here at TC are here to help, share, bull$hit and most importantly have a good time. For guests or members who are unsure what to post or what to say, just say hey! Or post a comment on the show and tell thread, there's always cool stuff there(like my 50 million buttons!) Tongue.Wink or better yet show us what you've found! Even if its not much. We are judge free. So come and enjoy all. Look foward to some new members!
I think the community is still trying to find its way, but we're almost there. I am VERY proud of the group we've assembled, and it's a good mix. One thing I think I/we need to work on though...

Is creating/fostering the perfect 'pitch' here. By that I mean, yes, we should obviously all try and exist in harmony when we're in the community, but I also don't think we need a love fest, either, where people go along to get along, agree with something for fear of ruffling feathers, or are afraid of speaking their mind. The reality is, friendly debates, clashes of opinions & differing viewpoints, IF SHARED, will help grow this place more than everyone simply agreeing on everything, because they feel that's what's necessary, or are hesitant of being vocal.

On every forum, there are the grumps, the happy-go-lucky's, the intellectuals, the cool guys, the practical jokers, etc., etc., etc. This is good. It's like having a party, where you want a nice assortment of guests. It livens things up, and gives the place personality. The key however is, while we will each be unique, and hopefully embrace different roles here, though it might get heated sometimes, though there might be some tough words or attitudes thrown around every now & then, is that at the end of the day we can all put it aside, laugh about it, move on, and still be respectful of one another, and friendly.

We are all (including myself) fortunate to have a outlet of FREEDOM where we can speak without fear of reprisal. That's one of the things I aimed for when starting the site. Go on virtually any other forum and bash a detector brand. Know what will happen? You'll either get a stern warning message, or you'll be banned...for speaking your mind. All because a sponsor was upset you critiqued their product. Go let a curse word fly, or tell an off color joke on another forum. Yep, another warning message or a ban. Rules are one thing, but prohibiting the God given right of freedom of speech is another.

With several hundred members here, we have to accept not everyone is going to like everyone, which is perfectly normal & fine. But as long as you guys know that you are FREE to be who you are & and free speak your mind, that should be the takeaway. Believe me, our community will grow MUCH quicker through open discourse, than bullshit niceties Yes

Joe
Here in Canada, we have no rights lol. I had a disagreement with someone on another forum, and it damn near got me banned! Bullshit niceties are a way of life in Atlantic Canada. It would feel weird to sometimes say what's on my mind in fear of hurting someone's feelings. That's the way it goes where I'm from. I think it's good though to get to know what people are like here before we allow opinions to clash too much. I'd hate to lose members because they took something too far out of context. Now, I know what you're thinking...if they left the forum over that, they're a damn pansie and we don't want them here anyways, but if they find awesome stuff and post often, they are an asset. It's the finds and metal detecting discussions that keep people around. That's why I joined TC.
(03-26-2016 06:36 PM)RelicMedic Wrote: [ -> ]Here in Canada, we have no rights lol. I had a disagreement with someone on another forum, and it damn near got me banned! Bullshit niceties are a way of life in Atlantic Canada. It would feel weird to sometimes say what's on my mind in fear of hurting someone's feelings. That's the way it goes where I'm from. I think it's good though to get to know what people are like here before we allow opinions to clash too much. I'd hate to lose members because they took something too far out of context. Now, I know what you're thinking...if they left the forum over that, they're a damn pansie and we don't want them here anyways, but if they find awesome stuff and post often, they are an asset. It's the finds and metal detecting discussions that keep people around. That's why I joined TC.

That's true, RM Yes Allow me to elaborate...

Suppose we're having a discussion about which detector is the best for relic hunting, as an example. I know some people tend to shy away from topics like this, for fear of being the odd man out, or because maybe they feel like their opinion will be attacked, etc. These types of discussions NEED to be all inclusive, where everyone feels welcomed to chime in. Or...

There was another thread posted by a member recently, where they asked if anyone would pay for the privilege of hunting a property. That is just the type of topic that can produce an extreme degree of responses, with many emotions stirred in.

What I was specifically addressing in my post above, were these types of questions, topics & situations. If someone feels really strongly one way or the other, they need to be comfortable with the fact that they can FULLY share their thoughts/feelings without any blowback. Instead...

What happens on a lot of the forums, is that members might mask their true self, so as not to rock the boat, or fit in a bit better. I don't think that would serve us well here.

It's like a friendship or a romantic relationship. In the beginning its all the genteel, phony stuff we feel we HAVE to do. But once people become more comfortable, and trust in one another, the relationship can only then fully blossom. You know you're TRULY friends or lovers with someone when you can belch or fart in front of them, without any embarrassment or ridicule. That's the type of pitch we need to foster here.

I wasn't talking about attacking anyone or any hostile behavior, but, rather, hoping that we can get EVERYONE to know that their opinions, thoughts, beliefs & feelings can be shared here, without any negative consequences Happy

Joe
Ah now that sounds better on the ears lol. For the record, I'd happily fart in front of anyone here....even share the aroma. Thanks for clearing that up for me Joe
(03-26-2016 07:25 PM)RelicMedic Wrote: [ -> ]Ah now that sounds better on the ears lol. For the record, I'd happily fart in front of anyone here....even share the aroma. Thanks for clearing that up for me Joe

Fire away, I got a stockpile of Febreeze I keep handy, for just those type of moments Chuckle

Joe
Reference URL's