Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Would you take a vow of poverty to detect?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Guys, interesting subject...

If it wasn't for my family, I would chuck everything (job, possessions, etc.) & buy a cabin somewhere, or maybe an RV and detect full time. Of course, it would be nearly impossible to make a living, so, I might have to do odds & ends for living cash, but, 95% of my time would go towards hunting. Curious, would anyone of you out there take a vow of poverty in order to feed your detecting vice?

Joe
I'm already in poverty and still don't have time to detect.
Why take the vow???  I'd just do it!!! 
 If I wasn't tied down.  ((Sigh))
(09-18-2013 03:34 PM)ICanDigIt Wrote: [ -> ]Why take the vow???  I'd just do it!!! 
 If I wasn't tied down.  ((Sigh))

Well, family comes before anything, but, a man can always dream, can't he? Tongue The ultimate for me would be a nice RV that I can travel the country in and detect. I can meet up with other hunters, blog/write about my experiences, catalogue all my finds, etc.

To me, that's being free! Just a man, his truck & his detector hitting the highways & byways, searching for 'treasure'. 

I'd gladly go broke for this pursuit if I didn't have all the responsibilities. Heck, money is just one form of currency. Freedom, tales to tell, meeting great folks, enjoying the outdoors...those are some of the richest things a person can accumulate in this life Happy
Joe,

You are obviously a detectorholic and the thought of that freedom is thrilling, but I think that if you actually had it, you might get burned out on too much of a good thing.

Right now we are motivated to get out and hunt because we know that our time is limited and we make the most of it while we can.  If you only had to detect with no other responsibility, I personally think that over time you would start to detect less and look for other things to give you the thrill that detecting once gave you.

Just like getting a new toy.  You play with it for days straight but them the thrill begins to wane and you go look for an item that gives you that thrill again.  Kind of like men and women.  Wink  For some the honeymoon ends to quickly and then they need to find the passion again- and that may mean with someone different.

I may be wrong in your case, so I have a deal to make with you.

Go win the Powerball and get the $222,000,000 cash option and promise me that you and I will get two RVs, pack up the families and hit the detecting trail until we want to try something different.  Then we can just get a bigger RV and a couple new machines and keep going!! Happy And float me a couple mil just in case you tired of me riding your coat tails.

Sounds like a plan!!

Note to self:  win $200 million dollars!
Shoot dude, no need to take a vow...since the construction went to hell been pretty dam broke...last year and half been better but...oh well nuff bout that. I could do it, but would mix in plenty of fishing, hunting hiking, prospecting...I  just love the outdoors, no way in hell I could survive an office job.
(09-18-2013 03:26 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]I'm already in poverty and still don't have time to detect.

I have a lot of time available to me but (injuries = poverty) prevent me from detecting very often
And this may be the rig to use...............
You'll need something that can go anywhere.

http://thedigitalhippies.com/travel/crea...photochop/
Absolutely! If it was just me I had to take care I would have quit my job a long time ago, right after I get the money around to upgrade my machine.
That's a real good question I've asked myself as well.

Poverty? Depends on your definition.

I have retirement bouncing in that just pays the overhead! And a PT Job that makes me get out of bed in the morning so I can sit in my new recliner after work.

But mobility is not a problem. Everything is electronic today. An RV, crap, even a nice one would be less monthly than the rent and utilities; but then of course, I'm the kind of guy that if I had to, I really "could", no shitting you, live under a bridge, (Want my recipe for Squirrel Pie?), so it would be a mediocre RV at best. (And don't forget to add the fact that I'm pretty frugal, or as my brother says, "One Cheap F&*@%#.")

I think the thought of travel and adventure is a stronger lure than detecting. Finding cool stuff, silver and gold is the greatest lure of detecting. Combining the two would be a challenge unless your mind set is disciplined enough to "make it so". Finding new people to talk to about the history of a region, making friends along the way, that would be another perk. (But I am doing that here.)

The questions still remain. Do I leave the comforts of the hive and go roaming about like a kid in a candy shop? There would probably be kinks in that armour of idealistic thinking within a couple of years. Otherwise, I would really be living under a bridge somewhere. (But it would have to have networked WiFi too.)

(06-17-2014 04:05 PM)SLCdigger Wrote: [ -> ]And this may be the rig to use...............
You'll need something that can go anywhere.

http://thedigitalhippies.com/travel/crea...photochop/

That's good! I want one of those.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's