Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Need more buttons!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Got out with Cassandra for two hours today at the button field and did some video clips of all the digs. Thinking about editing it and doing our first video. You'll see it if I do!
5 flats and a ball button and a button with 4 holes? Looks like a modern button but its metal. Age on it, anyone know? Thanks all. Enjoy!
Seriously, I think that field you're hitting may have housed a button factory, at one point in time Chuckle

Dude, you're on the roll of rolls! The 4 holed button doesn't appear too new to me, as the holes look larger than than current styles. Just a guess, but I'd go turn of the century on it.

We want to see the video!!! Wink

Joe
Man Oh Manischewitz Zach! You are finding a boatload of buttons!! You might be on an old homestead dump site! See if you can target a center area and then work around the perimeter of that area. Usually what they would do is go through all the stuff they needed to get rid of in the Fall/Spring, load it on a wagon, cart it up to a location and toss it off, generally in the same spots every year. What you need to look for is where they were getting on and off the wagon and where they had the wagon parked. Iron is the clue on this. If you find concentrations of iron near or around that spot, you're in the zone. Pant's pockets in those days pretty much sucked! The coins went flying everywhere especially if the boys in the family were set with the chore!!!! Most of my Largies and IH's were found within 50 feet of dump sites like that but my sites were bottle and tin can dumps! Iron, like a big ring surrounding the site!

Ed
Thanks Joe, thanks Ed! It was actually just a working farm for the past 200 years. One part was a cattle farm. The rest I believe was just farm. There's iron patches everywhere. Its basically the same thing in the whole part of the field I've hit, which if you saw is not small. Iron, hot rocks and then buttons and two coins in the areas I'm working. I'm certain its not a dump but just buttons lost from workers from the past 200+ years. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there's a nice dump area with even more great finds. But I think its just buttons everywhere from my experience. I'll start a log with a GPS and coordinate all the buttons and post a picture of them scattered everywhere! I know the actual farm name it used to be and the history behind it but I don't want to put any information which could have people hitting it. But yeah, I've personally pulled 3 dozen or so buttons out of there. James has pulled about the same. And as you know if you've saw my other posts about the field..my encounter with another detectorist. So yeah, tons of buttons. Not just in one spot but 5+ minutes walking distance away. Its just littered with them and littered with them everywhere. I think it'll be awhile before I get all these buttons. If I had to guesstimate from what I've hit already, with no gridding I've only hit about 20% of the property. And when I do venture off and am not sticking around a hot area I still find buttons. So yeah! Buttons! Sorry if it didn't make sense or it was all out of place. Just finished dinner and a bottle of wine with Cassandra. Cheers BeerBeer

P.s I'll get the vid up asap. It'll be short but a good time!
Holy buttons batman. Chuckle Zach your on fire man with them buttons. I agree with Joe on the age of the four holed button late 1800s early 1900s. Even early army buttons have been made like that one. HH 
P.s lets see a video Yes
Thanks Scott! Expect a lot more soon! And hopefully another coin from the damn field.
Best of luck tomorrow! I'm sure I'll see some great finds between you and Joe YesYesBeerBeer
Buttons are always a welcomed find and you have no shortage of them! The 4 hole button could be an underwear button. I've seen them dug at civil war sites, as well as very early 1900s sites. I have to agree with the guys on their guess of age...they know their stuff! Great hunt and can't wait to see your first video!!
(03-26-2016 08:45 PM)RelicMedic Wrote: [ -> ]Buttons are always a welcomed find and you have no shortage of them! The 4 hole button could be an underwear button. I've seen them dug at civil war sites, as well as very early 1900s sites. I have to agree with the guys on their guess of age...they know their stuff! Great hunt and can't wait to see your first video!!

Good thing I didn't run a car wash on that 4 holed button then! Thanks for the info and expect the button adventures of Cassandra and Zach in theaters near you! Soon!
Nice zouave (ball button) --- civil war militia guys in your area??

4 holer = underwear/longjohn button as mentioned by someone else = found one the other day myself Yes
Reference URL's