Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Just a walk in the park
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Took to an early morning hunt yesterday at the county fairgrounds and attached community park. A healthy dose of beaver tails to go along with these gems. The silver was about 3" down surrounded by at least 6 old plugs within 15 feet which makes the find even better in my book.

[attachment=7990] [attachment=7991] [attachment=7992]
Congrats on the silver! Good job finding it in the foot prints of another detectorist. Heck yea.
Sweeet! Nice save on the silver YesYes
Great find Gary! Yes Those war nickels are a bear to find because of the silver content. It's either a shotgun headstamp, pull tab, can slaw or a War Nickel. Congrats!

Ed
Congratulations ! Those war nickles are tough to find
The reason there were so many plugs around it is because, most coin guys are cherry pickers, and only dig penny and upwards on the VDI scale. I used to do the same, but I smartened up, and will now dig nickel signals, especially if they're deep. I haven't gotten a gold ring yet, but it'll come, as it will for you, too.

I pull a LOT of indian head's because they usually read a tad lower than a wheat or modern penny, so hunters don't dig them.

That's how you know if a spot never had anything old on it, or if it was just hunted really hard before. If you're finding lots of war nickels, buffalo, indians, etc., but no silver, chances are there was a lot there, but other guys have pounded the place cherry picking the silver. Though they probably missed a lot Happy

Great catches Beer

Joe
Reference URL's