Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Check out this button relic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I haven't had time to detect lately, so I got in a little backyard fix this evening. Targets are getting very slim in the grassy section of the yard. I was swinging real close to the fence with the little coil when I dug this cool anchor button. Anyone know what it is?
I'm by no means a button expert, but, it appears to be from an old pea coat or blazer. 40's through 60's would be my guess, but, let's see what the rest of the committee thinks. How do you like that small coil, BTW?

Joe
(09-18-2013 09:21 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]I'm by no means a button expert, but, it appears to be from an old pea coat or blazer. 40's through 60's would be my guess, but, let's see what the rest of the committee thinks. How do you like that small coil, BTW?

Joe

The small coil is great. It gets through the junk and gets way close to chainlink fences.
Killer button! I think its turn of the century.
Neat Button.

Is there any back mark info. ?

I do not think it is military and probably has a blank back.  I would call that a modern, non military clothing button, maybe used on a blazer or costume of some sort.

Still a neat find.

If it  has a back mark then that is a different story..
That is a sweet looking button. here is a little info on Anchor style military buttons, and a link to a good page on buttons similar to yours, may find something that matches .

In 1774 a foul anchor surrounded by rope edging took the place of the rose and in 1787 the same device with the addition of a wreath of laurel leaves was adopted for Admirals. When the Merchant Navy started to use the foul anchor device, a crown was added for all naval officers in 1812. The same basic design remains in use today.
The foul anchor device itself was first recorded in use in the seal of the Lord High Admiral of Scotland in 1402. It was subsequently adopted in the Admiralty seal and by a large number of navies throughout the world. The rope 'fouling' has no specific twist and may be deemed to be correct however it fits around the anchor
http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co....uttons.htm
I vote turn of the century Blazer type button (non military).

Have found several similar myself over the years.

Cool find Yes

Beer
Yeah I found pics of ones just like this one. The were gold colored jacket buttons. Non military

Cool link Bones. I was just checking it out.
Nice button , have found a few of them over the years. I believe it is non military.
Reference URL's