Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 1901 O Barber Dime & Bluebird of HAPPINESS!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Went out to what are now SWAMPS today because of all the rain we've had over the last week. Two areas I've covered before with some luck in one with the second area being so large it's hard to define where to go next. First hit was in area 1. Was out there trying to see if I could pull up some silver coins as I've gotten about 10 from that section of woods. Got this real strong tight signal reading 4-31, 3-31, 9-31 but not consistent on digital, winner of a high tone though and about 4 feet from a HUMUNGOUS maple tree IN THE ROOTS! After about ten minutes of trying to figure out how to get around all these monstrous roots, finally had success and it turned out to be a silver brooch instead of the usual WINE BOTTLE CAP! This is an interesting piece because there are Hallmarks on it. From what I've been able to find, it's Sheffield, England (the Crown) 1787 (the script letter T) and .925 silver (The Lion)! This sucker was down a good 10 inches below some real nasty roots. I almost gave up on it because the small hole I was able to make was filling with water. If any of you guys have any better idea on the hallmarks, shout out please. This was found out in the middle of a very heavily wooded area and I can't even imagine how it got there.

Still having some decent weather before a predicted snowstorm rolled in, I decided to go and do the other area which is South of the above area with a short walk. I've been in there before without much luck at all but today I decided to stay along the treeline about 5 to 20 feet in. As it started snowing/sleeting about a half hour later I hit this strong 3-29, 4-29 and was able to get a lock on 4-29 with a little circling around the spot. This was a small plateau just above a stream in some dense 6" diameter trees. And here we go again with root city. After about 12 minutes of some real nasty swearing, I finally popped out the 1901 O Barber dime which was at about 7 inches down amongst some very spidery and interwoven roots. This one surprised me as I've been through the area many times with not much of anything. And I found a shotgun headstamp about 1 foot away afterward, 4 inches down. She's damaged and not from me! Looks like the thing took a ding somewhere, so much so that the STATES is worn off about the same area on the other side. If it was an S, well that's a horse of a different color. As it is, it's unusual for this area. Don't see too many O's around here.

And I came home sloppy, muddy and wet and enjoyed every bit of it!!

Have fun Out There and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed
Great finds , I really like the brooch and a barber is always a welcome sight in the hole.
Pat
Once again just a superb job ODF.
Sweet mint mark barber Ed! And the brooch is killer too! Keep it up man!YesYes
Nice finds Ed = love the pin/broach Yes

Barber dime ain't bad either Big Grin

BeerBeer
Sweet deal ED. Both are great finds but that pin takes the cake. Happy
(04-02-2016 07:03 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Went out to what are now SWAMPS today because of all the rain we've had over the last week. Two areas I've covered before with some luck in one with the second area being so large it's hard to define where to go next. First hit was in area 1. Was out there trying to see if I could pull up some silver coins as I've gotten about 10 from that section of woods. Got this real strong tight signal reading 4-31, 3-31, 9-31 but not consistent on digital, winner of a high tone though and about 4 feet from a HUMUNGOUS maple tree IN THE ROOTS! After about ten minutes of trying to figure out how to get around all these monstrous roots, finally had success and it turned out to be a silver brooch instead of the usual WINE BOTTLE CAP! This is an interesting piece because there are Hallmarks on it. From what I've been able to find, it's Sheffield, England (the Crown) 1787 (the script letter T) and .925 silver (The Lion)! This sucker was down a good 10 inches below some real nasty roots. I almost gave up on it because the small hole I was able to make was filling with water. If any of you guys have any better idea on the hallmarks, shout out please. This was found out in the middle of a very heavily wooded area and I can't even imagine how it got there.

Still having some decent weather before a predicted snowstorm rolled in, I decided to go and do the other area which is South of the above area with a short walk. I've been in there before without much luck at all but today I decided to stay along the treeline about 5 to 20 feet in. As it started snowing/sleeting about a half hour later I hit this strong 3-29,  4-29 and was able to get a lock on 4-29 with a little circling around the spot. This was a small plateau just above a stream in some dense 6" diameter trees. And here we go again with root city. After about 12 minutes of some real nasty swearing, I finally popped out the 1901 O Barber dime which was at about 7 inches down amongst some very spidery and interwoven roots. This one surprised me as I've been through the area many times with not much of anything. And I found a shotgun headstamp about 1 foot away afterward, 4 inches down. She's damaged and not from me! Looks like the thing took a ding somewhere, so much so that the STATES is worn off about the same area on the other side. If it was an S, well that's a horse of a different color. As it is, it's unusual for this area. Don't see too many O's around here.

And I came home sloppy, muddy and wet and enjoyed every bit of it!!

Have fun Out There and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed

Nice silvers! Gl and hh!
Great digs Ed. I remember the bluebird of happiness from a Sesame Street movie.
Congratulations on those cool finds!
I would have been surprised too coming in at 3-29 and 4-29 but I guess the depth and area was a given to dig.
Nice Barber! The brooch is the find of the day, in my opinion anyways. Nice hunt on the Bayou! Happy
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's