Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Dating my first pipe stem!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all, I decided I was gonna try and date my clay pipe stem I found where I found my tombac. It was actually pretty simple and I used a drill bit. My source was
https://www.nps.gov/archeology/afori/howfig_mar4.htm

I used the 6/64th drill bit and it was a match. Making it 1680-1720! Pretty cool!

It was also found in a field very very close to a house built in 1695! The only era house in the area that would match the stem. So my guess is it once belonged to the original residences of the house!

The picture of the house is from 2000 when it was listed for sale. It is now a private residence. Permission has been asked to detect the actual property but has been denied due to there loud dogs apparently. Maybe one day!

Enjoy and hh!
Cool idea using the drill bit. Good information made easy, thanks
Thanks and no problem tony!
(04-04-2016 10:36 PM)Zachbl92 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey all, I decided I was gonna try and date my clay pipe stem I found where I found my tombac. It was actually pretty simple and I used a drill bit. My source was
https://www.nps.gov/archeology/afori/howfig_mar4.htm

I used the 6/64th drill bit and it was a match. Making it 1680-1720! Pretty cool!

It was also found in a field very very close to a house built in 1695! The only era house in the area that would match the stem. So my guess is it once belonged to the original residences of the house!

The picture of the house is from 2000 when it was listed for sale. It is now a private residence. Permission has been asked to detect the actual property but has been denied due to there loud dogs apparently. Maybe one day!

Enjoy and hh!
Does it work for English pipe stems? Just found my first ones while eyeballing and want to get a date date for them!
Hey viper! It will! Make sure ya post it when ya find out! Best of luck
(04-07-2016 05:39 PM)Zachbl92 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey viper! It will! Make sure ya post it when ya find out! Best of luck

Thanks,I will! Probably early 1700's since a 1735 George 2nd penny also came out of that site once!
Reference URL's