Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Perplexing Spots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Guys, I've hunted spots over the years which were duds, BUT, miraculously, wound up providing me with an unexplainable great find or two. Nothing else...or very little. The location where I got my real last week is an example, as well as another spot I snagged a real from, 2 years ago.

These places produced NOTHING even close close in age to the finds in question; no other old coins from that period, no dated relics, nothing. No other indicators, at all.

Which means, locations like this have either been pounded to death, and other hunters took all of the good stuff over the decades, or, the few good finds were brought in with fill dirt.

Curious if anyone else has had this happen to them? Making a killer find or two from a spot, and it just goes dead. Nothing else even remotely similar pops up.

Joe
Yesterday when you mentioned fill dirt as an explanation for your real being in an unexpected place and depth I figured you had hit on the best solution. Didn't think too much about it til your post today when I began to wonder where that fill dirt came from. Maybe someone familiar with the site can remember, or access records that would give you a clue. Maybe a construction site or borrow pit. Might be more where that came from.

Followed that logic in reverse once when a contractor took dirt from an old house lot I had hunted. I traced the dirt to a church where a low spot was being built up and found some nice coins in the fill.
(04-12-2016 02:33 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Yesterday when you mentioned fill dirt as an explanation for your real being in an unexpected place and depth I figured you had hit on the best solution. Didn't think too much about it til your post today when I began to wonder where that fill dirt came from. Maybe someone familiar with the site can remember, or access records that would give you a clue. Maybe a construction site or borrow pit. Might be more where that came from.

Followed that logic in reverse once when a contractor took dirt from an old house lot I had hunted. I traced the dirt to a church where a low spot was being built up and found some nice coins in the fill.

That was some good thinking! Yes What kind of coins did you find?

Joe
That was back a while so I found the usual wheats, a few buffs, several silver dimes, plus some of the newer coins flooding the currency.
Good score, Shade. I've never hunted around old churches much, but I know guys who have done real well with them. Makes sense too, as people are all dressed to the nines for services, and most bring money for the collection plate, breakfast afterwards, etc., some of which might get lost when moving in & out of vehicles, making small talk with other churchgoers while standing outside, and many other activities. And here's a different one...

When we baptised my son, after the service when everyone was out taking photos, the priest came out and threw a big cup of change in the air, which spilled all over the ground. The kids were scrambling for it and everything...it was a hoot. I have never seen that done before, and he said many churches are doing it nowadays. So, I guess the detectorists of tomorrow might find a few that got away Happy

Joe
I found a civil war store card last year at a ponded park , it was under one of the fairly new trees.
  I figure they brought in some dirt when they planted them because I have found nothing else even in the 1800s.
Pat
(04-12-2016 08:19 PM)Digsit Wrote: [ -> ]I found a civil war store card last year at a ponded park , it was under one of the fairly new trees.
  I figure they brought in some dirt when they planted them because I have found nothing else even in the 1800s.
Pat

Can you post a photo of it? Would love to see that beauty Happy

Joe
There is a park in my home town that was redone with Green Acres funds. I wasn't ducting that far back but in the 90's my buddy and I were detecting there and he scores a bust quarter. We never found anything close to that coin in that area - it was a one off that come in with the fill dirt for sure.
A bust quarter?! That is astounding. I'll be trying the real spot again soon, we'll see what happens. I have my fingers crossed, but I kinda sorta know what to expect.

Joe
Joe I hope there are more there for you.
The spot I was writing about was a one off.....never found anything there after he found that coin. I even tried different detectors too
Reference URL's