Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Nighthawks!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I cannot imagine many detectorists trespassing on prohbited spots here, in the US. Sure, it happens, I understand that, but one isn't going to get rich digging an old buckle or coin. In other parts of the globe however, where history dates back thousands of years, and a relic could be worth an astronomical amount, and the chance of even striking upon a hoard are very real possibilities, I can see why it's so popular in those places. Dumb. Immoral. Illegal. But crime does indeed pay, it appears.

I wonder how many of these finds we see posted online dug in places like the UK, and other fantastically old locales, were gotten in an underhanded manner? My guess is a fair percentage.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/norfol..._1_4492639

Joe
Jeeze. That's a shame. Idk how anyone could go on land knowing they shouldn't be. It would take out the fun of even metal detecting I'm sure. Being worried or scared someone is going to catch you. And even if you find anything how do you feel its yours? Yeah you found it. But you stole it. Which makes it not even theirs in my mind. Bullshit.
It's wild stuff. Illegal treasure hunting in places like the UK, etc. attract some cunning, enterprising types of characters, for sure. It must pay well, as I can't imagine someone plundering ill gotten gains simply to post on a forum, or for egocentric pursuits.

I've heard of a few instances of it happening here in the states, on places like battlefields, national parks and what have you, but I think it's more isolated. Seems to happen with more occurance overseas.

No matter where I lived, I wouldn't do it, but like anything else in this world, when money is in play, all rules are off for some people.

Joe
Those dam night hawkers - makes the hobby look bad for all.
He should focus on a real job not easy pickens of a protected site,
Seems like it's a part of their character. If not detecting illegally it would be poaching game, cheating on the time clock, insurance scams, welfare fraud etc. Wherever they find themselvesĀ and whatever game they play, these types cheat. It's what they do.
(04-13-2016 08:48 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Seems like it's a part of their character. If not detecting illegally it would be poaching game, cheating on the time clock, insurance scams, welfare fraud etc. Wherever they find themselvesĀ and whatever game they play, these types cheat. It's what they do.

I agree, it comes down to the individual's make up & character, Shade. Let's face it, those guys have so much opportunity for amazing finds overseas LEGALLY, it boggles my mind someone would risk steep fines, possible jail time, and being cast aside by their fellow detectorists, for the possibility of a quick score. It's not worth it. Now, if they were doing it for the rush, maybe I can understand in a sense, but risking everything on a roll of the dice? Hopefully, they can redeem themselves, in some way, shape or form.

Joe
Reference URL's