Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: What is the oldest thing you've found?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Living in a part of Texas that does have old stuff I've not been lucky enough to find to much old stuff. My best find so far is a Keg Tap from the 1860-70's. I have also found several old items like harmonica reeds, and horse tack.  What old items have you found?

[attachment=8104]

[attachment=8105]
Oldest find was about 2 weeks ago, here in NJ. 1744 half real. I've been back to that spot 2 times now, as well as the surrounding area, and aside from a merc & rosie and half a horseshoe about a foot down, nothing else even remotely that old was found, so I'm heavily assuming it was brought in with fill dirt.

But it's pretty rare we find anything that dated here. It happens, but maybe once or twice every few years. The rest of the time it's more mid/late 1800's and newer. However, there ARE some places in the more rural spots of NJ, like farms, older towns, etc., where finds like this are made on a more regular basis. Where I live though, most of the history is gone, all paved over, so not many extremely old detectable locations exist.

Joe
My oldest detector find is my 1740 King George II. My oldest eyeball find is my one and only arrowhead point(to be dated). As Joe(njnydigger) mentioned, I'm from New Jersey as well. And its rich with history.
Your kegtap is very cool and interesting.
If you've not done your research of your immediate area yet, give it a shot. Look for older maps/ghost towns and such.
Best of luck and keep at it! You'll have some more great stuff before you know it.
The school where I found all the horse tack, and harmonica reed is begging me to go back and hunt it.
My oldest detector find is a 1764 half reale. I found it on a lot along a fair sized river about 15 miles from my house.
   I was stunned when I researched it and found that Spanish silver was accepted as legal money in the US until sometime in the I think mid 1800s.
  Thanks for this post , not only did it bring back memories for me , but it is interesting to see what others have found.
GL & HH 
Pat
[attachment=8107][attachment=8108][attachment=8108]
Nice, Digsit! Here's some good reading on holed coins...

http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v14n26a07.html

Joe
(04-15-2016 07:03 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Nice, Digsit! Here's some good reading on holed coins...

http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v14n26a07.html

Joe

Thanks Joe , there was also a folk healing tradition where people would wear a silver and copper coin on a necklace to ward off illness.
Pat
Joe is your reale in the banner ? I don't see it if it is. It deserves to be there.
(04-16-2016 09:06 AM)Kajunman Wrote: [ -> ]Joe is your reale in the banner ? I don't see it if it is. It deserves to be there.

The banner is for you guys. I've had the privilege of sharing it here, and that's good enough for me, but thank you for the kindness, Kajun Happy

Joe
(04-16-2016 09:06 AM)Kajunman Wrote: [ -> ]Joe is your reale in the banner ? I don't see it if it is. It deserves to be there.
I agree with kajunman they reale is awesome and awesome things should be on the banner!
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's