Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Hello a new guy from wisconsin.tha
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thanks Joe for your help getting me on here and thanks for inviting me. Here is a play by play of what was done to allow metal detecting in my town. It started with a very polite E-mail asking if there were any rules against metal detecting within the village. I was informed by the head of my village that it was not allowed anywhere but the woodchips and sandy areas. I got very upset and offended that they have no problem taking my tax dollar's to pay for the care of  12 parks that basically you can do no more then look at the parks. So in my next email I stated that we should sell the parks! If we can't use them I don't want to pay for them any more. This got their attention. So the head guy of our village offered to hold a board meeting only after I sent him "hey it's Dallas again and Guess what? I didn't make $83k last year and Im still trying to figure this out!" As in it was easier to ban it then make a user friendly policy. So after that he said he would put the issue on the agenda for discussion at the next board meeting. So here we go, remember kill em with kindness unless they dust you off, cause what do have to lose at that point. When we had the meeting I had a board member who was very wise John Mccabe his veiw is the parks are there to be used. The main issue was insurance company said they don't recommend allowing metal detecting in the parks but, they could not stop it either. I was asked for a procedure for removing items from the earth and told them simply cut a plug set it aside put ur dirt on a towel, retrive item put dirt back and put the plug back. They where worried somebody would fall in a hole! John stated kids fall off swings and slides thats why the village has insurance. Remember guys and girls these parks are yours not theirs. It passed 3 to 1 and the One board member who was against I have a feeling created this mess for us in Bristol Wi
Hello Dallas and welcome. Come on in discuss things with us. Joe told us you might be dropping by. I appreciate your efforts to protect our rights to use city parks in pursuit of our detecting hobby. My town is OK for now, but it could change. Thanks for your example of how to deal with unfair city rules. Hope you'll like it here.
Welcome Dallas,
     Great thing you did for your community.

MD'ing is ok where I live now and most areas nearby, but where I grew up, only 30 minutes away, it is prohibited.
Dallas, your story proves a very good point...

One single person can INDEED bring change Yes

I stumbled upon the news article online, and it made me feel good, like the little guy won for a change. All because you decided enough was ENOUGH. Many in our hobby our facing similar circumstances in their hometowns, and maybe, just maybe, seeing your story will provide the spark they need to fight their own battles.

Surely, there are many who do fight, like yourself, and the outcome isn't as rosy, but one must'nt simply lay down. The worst thing to do is nothing.

I sincerely hope others in your neck of the woods fully appreciate the change you have affected. You've literally given guys like us - who have a passion for this hobby - a golden ticket to enjoy the pasttime again, where it was lights out before.

I've shared your article often over the past few days, to friends I have in the hobby, and I believe you may be contacted by a few others that are interested in your story, as well.

Welcome aboard, and on behalf of detectorists everywhere, THANK YOU! Yes

Joe
Dallas my man, on behalf of all the metal detectorist around the wolrd...we salute youYesYes! Job well done!
I hope you enjoy your time here and can't wait to see some of your finds from the now legal parks!
Take it easy and HH!
Zach
Welcome to the forum Dallas. And congratulations on a job well done
That was an awesome thing you did , I hope it inspires more people to encourage common sense approaches to detecting.
   I look forward to seeing your finds and reading your stories on the forum.
GL & HH
Pat
Welcome to the forum from NE Ohio, Dallas! That's a great bit of momentum you've placed within us. People in charge of the city's here are about half and half. The standard answer I get when calling is, "There is no specific ordinance against metal detecting.". There are two suburban cities which, one, are too far away from me in the county, and two, are so hard nosed that God himself could not get permission. So future detectorists will have a field day when they break tradition. And you are to be commended for not giving up the fight. As all of us ethical detectorists do, we respect the parks! They are the life and blood of our hobby.

I run a 57 acre soccer park with 34 acres of soccer fields, maintained by me and of which the city owns 6 acres encompassing 2 large fields. I have the last say on detecting and I allow it, so long as everybody follows the rules. No detecting in the field areas during the season. Have at it off season. I instruct the many detectorists that show up as to what is protocol. I have Carte Blanche in the City I work in. And it's not special privilege, just no ordinance.

In the smaller towns like mine, where I live, I actually had to call the cops to convince the city service crew that I was allowed in a centennial park to detect, after talking to the lovely mayor about it. The officer backed me up. The service crew foreman was pissed, but that's too bad for him.

Keep up the good work. Glad to have you aboard.

Ed/Ohio Dirt Fisher
Welcome to the Forum Dallas I too am from Wisconsin I am up in the middle of the state south of Stevens Point.
Great work getting your town open for metal detecting, we are losing more areas in the state every year. Last couple of years we lost Marathon County parks and like 10 years ago we lost all state parks and the DNR says we cannot detect in the water. We fought them hard for a long time but had to give up as we ran out of money. We still encourage letters sent to representatives and governor.
Still plenty of places to detect. Keep up the good work
Welcome, and thank you for your story!
Reference URL's