Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Had the Quest Pro Out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Actually played around with it in the backyard yesterday under the powerlines.
Did not like them very much, so I had back off on the menu controls to make it stable.
So it zapped the performance of the Quest when both the stock coil and my NEL Sharpshooter adapted coil was used.
Got a bit of background feedback in the wireless headphones as well.

This evening went off to a trashy schoolyard, I have hit before.
The Quest is sparky as some have said, I will agree.
If you have ever used a Teknetics T2, you can apply everything you have learned to help you operate the Quest.
Plus some tricks that are used for the Fisher F5 and Tek Omega can be applied.
I used the NEL coil today to see what it can do. I was able to run All metal mode with Gain at 90, threshold at -9, stable, responsive to all targets.
Set Disc mode to Gain 89, 2+ tone, ID filter 17, a little chatty. Like the T2 you want to run into the noise.
Most targets at this schoolyard are within the first 5-6" from the surface.  
I dug up very few targets with the first 3", as I mentioned, been here before. ID's fairly well on the good targets. All coins found where from 5-6" deep.
Very nice signal volume in all metal, a bit weaker in disc. Was not difficult to pick out the trash from the good targets once you knew the ID numbers.
Pinpointing with the NEL coil was just about spot on for a DD coil.
During the hunt I would switch from all metal to disc. Then switch back and forth comparing target responses to help make the decision to dig. Something I always do
when learning a new detector.

I ended up with a US quarter, about 12 Canadian quarters, a number of Canadian dimes, nickels and pennies. Two hot wheel cars, a starter pistol blank casing, a 30 cal. pistol bullet
and a bunch of other stuff. I did find 5-6" pulltabs and some deeper than 6" junk. Overall it passes my school yard test for clad hunting. And it does like Canadian clad, that's a bonus when
a detector can ID them with some accuracy.

Balance and handling wise with the new angled control box was excellent. Feels lightweight as if you were swinging a Tesoro. Which made it enjoyable to use. No elbow pain felt like some other
detectors.

Overall, a good first real hunt getting to know the Quest.
Great write up, Sven! Sounds like the Quest might be a keeper, but I know how much you love to constantly play with new technology, so who knows Chuckle

You say it's kinda sparky like a T2. Does it have the same speed & separation abilities?

Not sure if you tested it, but what do you think the deepest it'll hit a dime is?

Good stuff Beer

Joe
Love seeing all your reviews on all the machines. I think its great. Keep up the awesome work!
Good review Sven! Looks like it has some potential!

Ed
Thanks for all the info on the Quest. Been hearing great things. Hope to hear more as you learn it
Short Hunt today

Had to take a trip to my wife's sisters home, there was a school at the streets end 1895. It's been added on and modernized with a large playfield.
This place has been hit truly hard by the guys in that town as the use of detectors are banned in all the parks and ball fields.
My wife dropped me off for an hour and a half.
Had the larger stock coil mounted today.
I was able to increase Gain in all metal and disc modes to about 96 today. In all metal mode it was a bit less sparky. Hunted in All metal for the longest time switching to disc and then
finally running disc.
This schoolyard was trash central. Canslaw and foil up the kazoo. The Quest heard it all, to quiet disc down had to bump disc setting to about 65.
Have to say I hit an area that was pretty free of trash, in that area all metal mode was nice and tame. Shows you target separation was is excellent with fast recovery time.
Dug a bunch of trash to see what the target ID numbers were and could pretty much bank on anything past 65 was going to be a good target.
Kind of meandered about digging as many targets I could in the short time I had.
The larger coil performed excellently, after awhile you could pick out a good target amongst the trash. Pinpoints like a concentric coil if you use the pinpoint button. You could also narrow the
target for better pinpointing by pressing the pinpoint button an extra time or two. A trick from the old VLF/TR days of detuning. Target would end up being just ahead of the coil mounting ears.
Brought along the pinpointer today, never took it out of its holster.

I generally like smaller coils for precision work, for a large stock coil, not bad at all. I do the the wider width of the search coil, feels more like a rounder coil. Makes a good cruiser coil, when you have little time to detect and want to cover a larger area faster cherry picking. The Quest felt very comfortable and balanced with this coil, no elbow pain. And yes this coil is deeper than the smaller coil I used yesterday.

Besides the trash found several quarters, nickels, dimes and pennies. Pretty good for a schoolyard such as this.

The wireless headphones worked flawlessly.
(04-16-2016 09:51 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Great write up, Sven! Sounds like the Quest might be a keeper, but I know how much you love to constantly play with new technology, so who knows Chuckle

You say it's kinda sparky like a T2. Does it have the same speed & separation abilities?

Not sure if you tested it, but what do you think the deepest it'll hit a dime is?

Good stuff Beer

Joe
Yes speed and separation is like the T2.

Don't know about dime depth, with the power lines overhead (EMI) in the backyard, it killed performance.
Would have to try sometime away from the power lines in a park.

The Quest also retains your last settings in memory when you turn it off.
That's a big plus, not having to run thru the menu system to reset the control settings.
Everyone wants to see pictures, alrighty then..............
[attachment=8155]
[attachment=8156]
[attachment=8157]
Thanks for the review I enjoyed reading it
Reference URL's