Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: A Shipwreck of a Detector
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Once upon a time a fellow club member, now passed away bought a White's IDX Pro

[Image: dx_zps2uz2ihvr.png]
It was a favored machine and saw much use. No matter what repairs it may have needed, it was repaired using off the shelf parts......as long as it kept ticking away, it was used to continuously find more treasures.

This particular machine was donated to the club in current condition. May not be pretty, it still works!

[Image: 11_zpsyviopd2v.jpg]
[Image: 444_zps5nenfefe.jpg]
[Image: 333_zpsoflbjqz4.jpg]
[Image: 555_zps6sfefoan.jpg]
[Image: 222_zpscumxr6gi.jpg]

I was given a task whether I decided to chose to or not [Image: icon_rolleyes.gif] to make it look pretty again.
May have to open up a shop---Detector Restorations [Image: icon_eek.gif]

Anyways, eventually this detector will be up for auction at one of our meetings.........

I will keep posting on this thread to show progress being made.
============================
Update:
It was agreed at the club meeting, the treasury would be better ahead not putting up the funds to resuscitate the IDX.

The club accepted my donation offer of $100 to build up the treasury.

I was told the original owner was hard on his equipment. If something went wrong with it, MacGyver-Style repairs were made on it as well as using Red Greens famous repair tape.
[Image: icon_mrgreen.gif]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++====

So now I have a detector to fix up. Slowly that is.
Looking for a Black Max Bulls Eyes search coil for it.

Hi Sven: Couldn't open the attachments on my computer, but I'll take your word that it needs a good repair job. Based on your record with detector fixes, I'm betting it will be looking good again before long. It is no wonder that the club put it in your care.
Should load now
Wow, talk about being battled tested! Like Timex's, it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin Yes

For all the heat Whites has been getting lately in regards to the MX Sport, and their descent into the abyss of the metal detecting world over the last few years, one thing is for certain...

They build machines like tanks!!!

P.S. - That baby is just CRYING out for a nickname, Sven. How about a cross between Frankenstein & Terminator...

THE FRANKENATOR!!!!!

Joe
Awesome! Very kind of you to take up the task and the bill. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm sure your club member would be proud. Best of luck with the parts!
(04-19-2016 04:23 PM)Zachbl92 Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome! Very kind of you to take up the task and the bill. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm sure your club member would be proud. Best of luck with the parts!

No no no.
The club was going to foot the bill for parts and labor. It was going to end up more than what club members would shell out for it fixed. So the club would not make a penny profit. Might even cost the club money if the bids were lower. Everyone wants a the latest detector not something from 2008.

It was decided the club would be further ahead if it accepts my $100 offer for it.
As in its current condition, the guys consider it junk..................no one in our club would give $10 for it. And then have to shell out money to fix it.....

So I was kind to offer the $100, which was accepted.
I will fix it up and do Mr. Bills mods to it.
Real cool Sven! I'd really like to see what you can do for it!

Ed
Lucky me,
Today I remembered there was a power sander in my father-in-laws tool box sitting in our basement. Didn't have to go out and buy paint stripper.
Made a quick sanding down to bare metal on the control box top.

Found a spray can of automotive filler primer, got lucky again, just enough to give it a number of good coats.

Off to the auto parts store Weds. to see what they have in the way of black.
Taking shape, slowly.
Mr. Bills mods done to control box PCB and meter PCB.
Top was repainted and decals put on.
All new control pots.
Sort of mismatched knobs, that's all I had on hand at this time.
[attachment=8257]
Awesome! Looks good man. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's