Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: ever sell or trade or simply give away finds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have only sold a bicycle head badge off a iver Johnson cycle and arms works bicycle.I met a guy who collected head badges and said it was from the late 20s to early 30s. And then offered $40 well i thought to my self i paid $50 for my discovery 3300. 
 For giving away that has been many things. If someone like something that much i found and will display it ,please take it please. To me that is like making the banner in our community. 
 Now trades i have my next door neighbor who for some reason wants to eat from a silver spoon. Well i found a great silver table spoon clearly marked. So he offered me a baggy full of wheats and  some IH's and a sterling bracelet. Plus a 1830 vatican state 10 bacchaio coin that is silver. Free dug silver spoon only took me time,(that i was there anyways)  course i said yeah. 

Would like to hear your stories if you have any!!!
Just me, but I couldn't stand to part with ANY of my coins or relics. Not because they're monetarily valuable, but because they're HISTORICALLY priceless. Also, it's taken hours upon hours, weeks upon weeks, and years upon years to build even the small collection I have. All of which was time away from work, family, friends, responsibilities, etc., so, selling all of that sweat equity for the few beans I'd get for my stuff just isn't worth it, IMO.

I've given away a few items to digging buddies and for contests and other kind of things, as most of us have, which I never regret, because those are people IN the hobby, who appreciated the significance of the finds.

Gold is about the only thing I've sold. More specifically, rings at the beach. None were old or marked in any way. Gold doesn't really do anything for me, except from a dollar perspective. Unless it's a gold rush nugget or family heirloom or something, there's no history or significance to it.

Joe
Years ago I sold a couple of gold chains and a 18K religious pendant for melt, where spot price at the time was hovering around $1900. That was a nice cash in. I gave a 37 Washington quarter to a friend of mine whose father was born on that date and that 1923 Peace dollar I gave to my woman whose father was born on that date. Other than that I've kept everything hoping for the spot prices to go up. I'll sell the jewelry but I'm holding on to the coins as some are key dates and I have those out of the pile separate in flips.

Ed
I've given about 3 grand in clad back to the bank in the last 4 years and a box or two of jewelry to the brideHappy
I might have thrown out my blue book of silver dimes and Indian heads cents.....can't find them anywhere.
I gave away a Minelab finds pouch and a good belt to go with it to my detecting buddy. He passed away several months later, he was fun to detect with and I miss those times we had.
I am trying to use up the clad coins now but it takes a bit of work to get that done.
The silver price is up right now around $17 an ounce so if I start going back to the club meetings in north jersey I might just put out a few coins on the table and sell them to folks who want them but right now I am too busy with family stuff and don't have that kind of time. Maybe this summer when school is out.
One thing I did try to sell in the past were bottle finds. I might try that again I would love to get some cash for them, I know the little cobalt blue seltzer bottles will go and maybe some dairy ones too.
When my wife wasn't working and the budget got a little tight I sold some of the gold I had found and a few of the silver coins I had found. It was a little like selling a family dog.
     I have given finds to the property owners where I was detecting. I also have searched for lost jewelry for people and have returned class rings. The most memorable give away was when the owner of a site told me that the daughter of the couple that rented the house that used to be on the lot might be interested in a ring I found there.
   It turned out to be her Mother's engagement ring , we both shed a couple of tears when I gave that to her and talked about her memories.
   Other than that I am pretty stingy with my finds.....
Pat

(04-20-2016 01:06 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]I might have thrown out my blue book of silver dimes and Indian heads cents.....can't find them anywhere.
I gave away a Minelab finds pouch and a good belt to go with it to my detecting buddy. He passed away several months later, he was fun to detect with and I miss those times we had.
I am trying to use up the clad coins now but it takes a bit of work to get that done.
The silver price is up right now around $17 an ounce so if I start going back to the club meetings in north jersey I might just put out a few coins on the table and sell them to folks who want them but right now I am too busy with family stuff and don't have that kind of time. Maybe this summer when school is out.
One thing I did try to sell in the past were bottle finds. I might try that again I would love to get some cash for them, I know the little cobalt blue seltzer bottles will go and maybe some dairy ones too.
Thrown them away , ouch . I hope they turn up , I have lost a few  things over the years and it is very aggravating. The older I get the more stuff I lose, some future detectorists will probably like me.
Pat
Beautiful collection there Dusty!!!

Ed
I never sell anything, however, I have given some things away. I gave a cartwheel penny to my wife's nephew who was starting a coin collection. He was excited over his oldest coin, which was a 60's penny. He was ecstatic over the 1797 Cartwheel I gave him. Also gave a cartwheel to a friend that loves them, but because of his location, would probably never dig one. I gave a military button to a guy that I got to know. He is on the local historical society. Come to find out, it was only the 2nd button of its kind known to exist and he's a douchebag. Oops. Also gave away a 1921 vehicle lisence tag to the biggest antique car buff that I know. He's an elderly man with a nice collection of cars and car memorabilia. He has hundreds if lisence plates, but when I showed him my 1921, he literally started shaking. He showed me a frame and some parts that he was restoring. It was apparently the first car his father owned, and it was a 1921! The lisence tag I had was local and the right year, so I gave it to him. He's so passionate about cars, that tears came to his eyes when I passed it to him and told him it was his now. It was a great feeling!
(04-25-2016 09:59 PM)RelicMedic Wrote: [ -> ]I never sell anything, however, I have given some things away. I gave a cartwheel penny to my wife's nephew who was starting a coin collection. He was excited over his oldest coin, which was a 60's penny. He was ecstatic over the 1797 Cartwheel I gave him. Also gave a cartwheel to a friend that loves them, but because of his location, would probably never dig one. I gave a military button to a guy that I got to know. He is on the local historical society. Come to find out, it was only the 2nd button of its kind known to exist and he's a douchebag. Oops. Also gave away a 1921 vehicle lisence tag to the biggest antique car buff that I know. He's an elderly man with a nice collection of cars and car memorabilia. He has hundreds if lisence plates, but when I showed him my 1921, he literally started shaking. He showed me a frame and some parts that he was restoring. It was apparently the first car his father owned, and it was a 1921!  The lisence tag I had was local and the right year, so I gave it to him. He's so passionate about cars, that tears came to his eyes when I passed it to him and told him it was his now. It was a great feeling!

It is awesome that you supported the coin collection and a bummer that the historical society guy turned out to be a douchebag.
  I was happy to see you giving the tag to the old car buff ( maybe I am a little biased because I am an old car guy...)
I give away stuff that have no use for me.
Local club member collects tokens, many are not worth much. So I give him the occasional one I find, best look on his face when he doesn't have that particular one.....

Toy cars I will give away.

I give away all my clad to trade for merchandise....Happy

Most of my gold, silver jewelry goes to the refiner, helps fund my hobby.

And the trash can is the happiest of all, it gladly accepts all the trash I find.

I used to be a heavy collector of things, now I like to add items to collections that other folks have.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's