Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Have any ideas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Found this today at the farm . I am thinking wax seal but is kinda small. Any help appreciated. Thanks[attachment=8171][attachment=8172][attachment=8173]
I think you might be right about a wax seal. I think the flat holder at the bottom of it is still attached. Try soaking it in some real hot water and see if that bottom bowl shaped thing comes loose. Or maybe blast it with a hairdryer on hot! The wax they used in those days was similar to the hot roofing pitch they heat up and do seals with on roofs. So it just might be stuck. That stuff was sticky when hot and adhered to about anything. You might then expose the real base of it. My line of thinking comes from rubber stamps that came in their own holders. Just a wild guess though.

Ed
(04-21-2016 08:35 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]I think you might be right about a wax seal. I think the flat holder at the bottom of it is still attached. Try soaking it in some real hot water and see if that bottom bowl shaped thing comes loose. Or maybe blast it with a hairdryer on hot! The wax they used in those days was similar to the hot roofing pitch they heat up and do seals with on roofs. So it just might be stuck. That stuff was sticky when hot and adhered to about anything. You might then expose the real base of it. My line of thinking comes from rubber stamps that came in their own holders. Just a wild guess though.

Ed

Ed the bottom piece is off. It fell off when I retrieved it from the ground. Smooth as a babies ass under that cover
(04-21-2016 07:09 PM)scott demont Wrote: [ -> ]Found this today at the farm . I am thinking wax seal but is kinda small. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Maybe wax sealER? Or bedpost,fancy weight,something like that?
Definitely a seal matrix. That's a great find! Way up on my "to dig" list.
Wax seal, many were never engraved and just left plain. They still served their purpose. This one has a hole at the top to be hung on a chatelaine or watch chain.
(04-24-2016 12:16 AM)Nick A Wrote: [ -> ]Wax seal, many were never engraved and just left plain. They still served their purpose. This one has a hole at the top to be hung on a chatelaine or watch chain.

Outstanding Nick thanks and thanks everyone
Reference URL's