Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 1830s Cabin Site turned Sawmill in 1850s on Creek
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all,

yesterday was the hottest day so far this year here in my neck of the woods so for a welcomed change of pace from my typical type of diggin/huntin = I went for an evening creek hunt on a well researched site that I spent the winter pinpointing and tracking down.

I've been saving it for a day like today and for when I didn't have anymore field sites to dig.

My trip to the state historical library this past winter paid off pretty well today and I'll be going back as I only spent 2 hrs or so with the CTX and 6" coil in a sea of iron.

Found my 1st ever Reale and a cool tiny spoon that seems to fit the same time period - I think it's pewter. They were found near the creeks edge in black muck about 8" and 10" deep. The site is that of the 1st white settler in the township along/on the creek. He built a cabin in 1836 and later (early 1850s) a home further inland along with a sawmill on the creek and continued to cut lumber well into the 1860s before it burned during the fires here that swept the state. The home survived the fire that burnt the sawmill and still stands and is in the same family.

[Image: IMG_2896_zpspsdqmdl4.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3013_zpscvgqrahd.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3015_zpszbafn8f4.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3016_zpsjhpvqhz5.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3014_zpsdklgzdzo.jpg]
All I can say is WOW Wayne!! YesYesYes That's a helluva hunt! Congrats on your first Reale and all the other great vintage stuff!! Nice research!!

Ed
The Reale is a beauty! Congrats on that one. I think the other finds are just a hint at what this site may hold. Your research really paid off big time.
Killer hunt bro!
Great find, congratulations
Awesome reale , and I love the spoon. That is some great research , it looks like that site will get you some sweet finds.
HH
Pat
Good interesting finds. Looks to be a great site! I would guess you're probably right about that spoon being pewter. Early pewter contains lead and eventually turns black- from what I read, its best to leave the patina on.
Congrats on your first reale, beautiful coin YesYes
I bet it was great to see it pop right out, awesome feeling for sure! Great research as well!
Best of luck next time you get out thereYesYes
Congratulations on your 1st Reale! Nice recoveries and good job finding the sweet spot. Good luck hunting and hope it surpasses your wildness dreams! Thanks for sharing.
Great hunt and investigate..  Lots of great finds congrats on the reale
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's