Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #37 41P Merc, ...18?67??? IH, Pocket Knife
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Went to a new section of the same woods today that I've been fortunate enough to find some great stuff in and it was my first hunt in about 3 days. This area is accessible from a trail but it's a real long and rugged 30 to 40 minute walk to get there. The spot itself is well over 200 acres with a mix of real old and young trees and thankfully is pretty flat and shady. I was in the area for about 30 minutes when I hit this pretty nice tone which wasn't subtle like a headstamp. I'd dug a couple of those on the way in. I thought maybe an IH with a digital of 7-25, 6-26, or maybe (just my luck) a zincoln! Turned out to be an IH. I swear to God that under LED flashlight side illumination after being cleaned at home thoroughly, it looks like an 1867, but the photo just doesn't show it. In sunlight it looks like a 190?. Well, I searched around that spot for about 20 minutes with nothing so I moved on. Over the next hour it was more of an exploratory trip and I decided to turn around and start heading back.

Nearer the trail I started working some open areas about 20 to 30 feet in. At almost my enter point I get a good signal and out pops a pocket knife, at around 6 inches down. That's interesting. So I do the circle the wagon thing around that spot. Real nice loud foil signal about 8 feet away and up turns some foil plates. About 10 minutes later get a real strong 3-29, 4-29, 5-29 with a screamer high tone. (When I see 5-29, I think wine bottle cap, but the tone was way to high for that!) 4" down and slightly under a small root, out pops a Merc! Yes

But by then I was pretty beat and after 3 hours and a good 30 minute walk ahead of me I turn off the SE and I hit the trail, heading for the truck!

Have fun out there guys and gals and HAPPY HUNTING!!

Ed/ODF
Simply great Ed! I was there with you for a minute we had funChuckle ..great finds and awesome thread bud..
Congratulations Ed. I agree, you know how to tell the story. Giving us lots of details from honing in on the spot and letting us all know you have to work for it a lot of times. Wish, I could have really been there to compliment you and enjoy your excitement. Plus stop for a couple minutes to get a snack out of my backpack. Happy

But I really don't think I could handle walking 30 minutes blind folded through the brush. LOL!

Good luck to you and thank you.

Note: You would not have to blind fold me. I'm trust worthy, and would not want to hunt it unless I'm with the person that turned me on to a good time. That's how I roll.
(06-29-2016 08:16 PM)updownup Wrote: [ -> ]Congratulations Ed. I agree, you know how to tell the story. Giving us lots of details from honing in on the spot and letting us all know you have to work for it a lot of times. Wish, I could have really been there to compliment you and enjoy your excitement. Plus stop for a couple minutes to get a snack out of my backpack. Happy

But I really don't think I could handle walking 30 minutes blind folded through the brush. LOL!

Good luck to you and thank you.

Note: You would not have to blind fold me. I'm trust worthy, and would not want to hunt it unless I'm with the person that turned me on to a good time. That's how I roll.

Thanks! You have my six Up. When I get out there in the woods, that far away, I'm landmarking like crazy and doing real big 100 yard circles back to the landmarks. Big figure eights around a huge circle. Just into this forest for a test or teaser for now; get the feeling and the lay of the territory. No one detectorist has been there. I can tell. Just by some signals, what I find and what I discover. It's not a walk in the grassy park Up. It's a wilderness adventure where only gun hunters and campers have been long, long ago. But I can get so disoriented if I don't pay attention. All I know is I gotta keep moving. Gotta cover ground. Listen for signal, dig for those clues. That's the way my detecting head is wrapped my friend! I am somewhere no one like our kind has been. It's there. I just have to find it.

Happy hunting!!!

Ed
That is another great hunt Ed , your woods sounds like a great place to hunt.
Being (as the people up north in MI call us ) a stump jumper I can only dream of finding a spot like that.
   Your descriptions always make it seem like we are there , that is a great gift you have there.
HH
Pat
You work hard for the money Ed! Glad you got more silver as a reward for your efforts. Can't help with the date on the IH--looks pretty toasted. Let us know if you can ever get a good read on it. From your photos it seems like many of the coppers up there are seriously deteriorated. Are you staying with the woods or heading back to civilization for future hunts?
(06-29-2016 11:18 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]You work hard for the money Ed! Glad you got more silver as a reward for your efforts. Can't help with the date on the IH--looks pretty toasted. Let us know if you can ever get a good read on it. From your photos it seems like many of the coppers up there are seriously deteriorated. Are you staying with the woods or heading back to civilization for future hunts?

I think I'll be staying out in the woods Shade. Temps have been fluctuating a lot here. Not a drop of rain for the last week. Today up to 83F. Doing grass in the hot sun isn't fun when the ground is hard as a rock. In the woods at least you get some shade, a slight breeze now and then and the ground is much easier to dig. Plus it's real quiet out there, nobody asking questions etc... I sort of liken it to my version of mother natures' church. Detecting grass has its rewards on those days when I'm too tired to detect, but I just like the adventure, peace and finds diversity of the woods.

Ed
Reference URL's