Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 2 days of detecting!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all! I got out last Saturday and sunday morning for about 18 hours with James and his buddy grant. Grant had permissions set up for us for James's birthday which was cool! We started out at a very old church(early 1700s) that was really beautiful and amazing! Sadly, it ended up being filled with fill dirt or whatever you call it. So everything would of been buried. Grant was able to get a eagle I button and James got a eagle as well. Other than that, not much. But was still fun! Ended up at a random field to finish off the day which yielded a KG copper, a ww1 era eagle button a few other buttons and Wheaties and also a sweet intact triangle arrow head found by Grant.
The second day we had another permission set up at another church ground where the owner purchased to fix up as a house. AMAZING property! The grounds were old but the church was built late 1800s. It's one of thee most beautifulest remodeling properties I've ever seen. Its going to turn out great! Huge bathroom, a couple bedrooms, a great room/living room with 30ft high ceilings and a church bell the size of the liberty bell! Huge! Plus so much more. But..sadly, we struck out again. Nothing of great importance was found!
We were all very surprised it happened again...great properties with age and everything you'd want but nothing...
So anyway, that property turned up another permission from the owners friend. She has a house from the 1700s and a tavern right across the street from it that is now a restaurant. She allowed us to detect 10 acres of her property that was finally...Great! We only had 3 hours to detect and our First finds were both tombacs, pottery, clay pipe pieces and...coins! Grant scored 3 great finds. His oldest silver to date..1743 half reale, his first NJ copper and his first 1730s German coin plus coppers[/i]! James got a couple coppers with one idable 1729 kgII and a bunch of buttons. I got mostly modern compared to them! I got Wheaties, a 73 dime a few buttons and the find of the day... 1800-1808 half cent...my 3rd one! Also a 1869 Indian.
Although I didn't find much, it was a great time and it was awesome seeing grants firsts and everyone else's finds.
Hopefully we can get back someday soon!
Pictures of all of our finds to come!
HH and enjoy!
Super good story Zach. Funny how some of the old sites don't produce, but when you hit the right one --Wow!  Sounds like a fantastic experience. Neat picture, looks like you guys were loaded for bear!
Thanks shade. It really is odd how that works! It was great, a time I'll never forget. The car was jam packed with everything! Three men on a mission to discover colonial finds! Haha
18 hours, man you must be tired, cool digs and congratulations!
Thanks tony. It was pretty rough! Being 24 I had a hard time keeping up with James and grant who are in their 40s! Lol. Both days were high 80s with humidity out the ass too. Very draining... On breaks I was having Orange's... They've never tasted so good!
Talk about being armed to the teeth Yes Glad you're getting out to hunt, cuz it's just too hot for me. I'm on sabbatical until Fall. Is that your car, Zach?

Joe
Congrats to all on the finds and man you guys don't fool around when you bring in the equipment! I've had clues and mysteries as far as areas are concerned where absolutely nothing turned up worth any mention. But as you get more tuned to detecting Zach you'll end up doing what I do which is chalking it up to experience. The need to know if there is anything there is much stronger than what finds may actually be. I have a big NGS Quadrangle map on the wall and there are little itsy bitsy red X's all over it. Places where I've been, places I've hunted more than once, where there was nothing I could find by my current method. So I move on.

I've tried looking at my find spots to try and put together a pattern but I still can't connect the dots. In my case I am dealing with human nature that has been gone a very long time ago. And if you want to see the 65 year old guy that can outpace the 40 something guys in the field as far as endurance, well here I am, ego and all! No lunch, a couple of smoke breaks and some water. Keep moving! Chuckle

You guys did wind up finding some very great things, and had a fabulous time doing it. That's what detecting is all about. Investigative work and finding the spots is one of the most rewarding experiences in detecting. The best of luck returning to those areas.

Ed
Looks like  an awesome group of hunts. The picture of the gear is cool.
    I love it when my detecting buddies get together for a hunt , it makes the experience so much better.
    We are looking forward to the pictures and I am sure we all hope you can all get together to do it again soon.
Pat
Thanks Joe, Ed and pat! Yeah Joe, I was happy to get out. Haven't been out much, at all, besides that. The heat really gets to me but I drink about a dozen bottles of water! Also, that's not my car! Mines not on the road ATM sadly.
That's a good idea on the wall map Ed , I'm sure you'll strike it rich one day with it. Pat, I'll have the pictures up once I have them! Probably sometime tomorrow! Thanks again guys and HH!
Reference URL's