Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Went to what I thought were woods ......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I tried to take Ed's advice and head for the woods. Now I know he likes woods around ball fields or kiddy areas, so that is where I headed. There are really tall old trees around this field near my daughter's home and I gave it a shot.
The area was over grown with weeds and small brush, they even fence it off with a plastic orange fence. Maybe they are getting ready to cut these trees down - so I will wait and see.
I detected around the old ball field but no old coins came up.
I did dig a dime and a quarter at nine inches each, so I might not have to perform the test I was talking about in this area I was getting great depth. So they probably scraped this area and brought in fill to make the new fields and play areas.
So I can scratch that one off the list - sorry no picture of clad and can slaw today for you to look at it but you all have seen it before.
Good luck out there.
I know the feeling Tony. I have tried some of Ed's tips on a ball field next to where my wife does therapy. Not much luck so far. Just some clad and odd junk on the play area, but when I get in the woods I am overwhelmed by trash. Workers must have thrown every piece of metal they encountered over the fence and into the woods. Hard to search through old chain link fence sections, broken metal score boards, and tons of cans and bottle tops from the concession stand.
Shade, too bad that place had so much trash. Better luck next time.
I will keep looking for places like Ed talked about - you just have to hit it right.
Wrong woods, you will have to keep looking for woods with history. I like hunting the woods even if I don't have much in Florida you can detect. Mostly state operated and privately owned. I haven't tried to get permission. The woods I do hunt is really nice. Because nobody is there to take away from the mission. Wish there were more to find but not much there. Expect one set of woods I know about, but it quite a drive to get there. I plan to go back one day. Maybe this winter. Its too wet now, and mosquitoes will carry you away even during day light hours. Good luck guys, hope you find happiness in the bush.
Updownup, those are good points, history or activity makes the difference.
I 'll keep looking for sure
Well, you gotta try to know for sure. As I've said before, a lot of this hobby involves throwing a bunch of sh*t against the wall, and seeing what sticks. Meaning, go to as many places as possible, and simply by the law of averages, sooner or later, at least a few of those spots will produce something.

I'd venture to say 8 out of every 10 spots I've tried over the years have either been total duds, or gave up very little good stuff. But that's okay, since the process helped me find the 2 winners. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Joe
That's great you got that dime and quarter at 9" that's pretty damn good! Sucks you didn't get much more than that but it happens. Beat of luck when ya get back out there YesYes
Ed, very cool video and terrific place to hunt. Good luck. Now you have me thinking about the woods, crazy man.

Zach, thanks man, probably the depths were a little less. I used my shovel to measure not a ruler. They were deep and the soil there was wet. I probably will get back there again.
(07-04-2016 03:42 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Well, you gotta try to know for sure. As I've said before, a lot of this hobby involves throwing a bunch of sh*t against the wall, and seeing what sticks. Meaning, go to as many places as possible, and simply by the law of averages, sooner or later, at least a few of those spots will produce something.

I'd venture to say 8 out of every 10 spots I've tried over the years have either been total duds, or gave up very little good stuff. But that's okay, since the process helped me find the 2 winners. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Joe

I wholeheartedly agree, but, I'd give it a 4 or 5 out of 10. Especially in the deep woods and along old fence wire farm field areas, rock debris walls etc... Whether it be intuition or experience I don't really know. But as you say Joe, the key to it all is to try. And that does lead to a list of red x marks on the map. You know I think I'm going to do a video of what to look for. I seem to have it close to down pat when it comes to the woods. I do try and keep an eye out for the hunters and the field hands of days gone by and there's a lot of stuff out there to clue you in on that. Lot's of clues! But you have to know your machine and be willing to make certain assumptions based on finds. It's a real fun game of discovery such that sometimes even the dud's, as you say, become winners! I know for me it's because I missed something last time out. But there are real duds too! It's my passion to find out. And too, I sometimes have a lot of time on my hands so I have the privilege of finding out. Which makes a real big difference.

Ed
Reference URL's