Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Hiking in the woods!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
And note that there is a ballfield across from the pavilion I mentioned! This is the area that I spoke of recently that is over 1000 acres of rough and easy terrain. About half of it was farm fields at one time and the rest is old forest which I believe was timbered out now and then. Found a lot of silver and copper here to include a 1912S Barber dime last year, the 1835 holed LC as well as numerous wheats Mercs and Rosies. I've been here about 20 times in the last 2 years. I'll never in my life cover it all, so I don't care if anybody gets a clue as to exactly where it is and I wish them the best of luck because if all they do is grass, this area is out of their league!! Chuckle

Ed/ODF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXfjiThNppw
Stay cool out there Ed! 1000 acres of forest is definitely a nice chunk of land! Best of luck out there and take it easy Yes
I can see now why you like to hunt the woods. You have great open space in among those mature trees. Most of the woods around here are full of undergrowth and saplings, or newly planted pines with lots of grass and briers in between.
And the cool thing is you can hunt there in late fall or winter and get to more ground.
Good luck and make sure you stretch and rest at times.
Now that is some digging area.. Deep woods are a blast when you find nice open areas... Thanks for sharing cause I'm on my wayChuckle...
Well Ed my hat is off to you, for getting started in the video phase of this hobby.Can't wait to see you dig up something good.
(07-04-2016 07:42 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]And the cool thing is you can hunt there in late fall or winter and get to more ground.
Good luck and make sure you stretch and rest at times.

Thanks Big T!

That cool weather is what I'm waiting for. It will be so nice to hunt there again when this blistering stuff passes. With all the times I've been there I'm learning the territory. This is the area I got lost in 2 years ago because I was so unfamiliar with it. Now I'm getting a little more confident. I'll stay away this summer. I like exercise, but at my age I can't throw caution to the wind.

As a rule, about every hour I try and find a nice fallen tree to perch on and just take in the scenery, drink some water, have a safe smoke, because everything is so dry, and contemplate my next move. It's one of those things about detecting. Clues. You don't find them, you move on. Man I wish I had a go pro. You guys would be amazed at how much ground I cover. I have a friend of mine who doesn't detect. He's somewhat of a loner but a great guy. He walks 15 to 20 miles a day. From sunup to sundown. Skinny as a rail. He used to be a sandhog in these parts before he retired. He walks all over the places I detect. I show him photos, he gives me the history of that area, because he grew up with the kids from some of those spots. He's 79 years old this year and still out and about, as he says, fit as a fiddle, but skinny. I met him six years ago when I started the job at the soccer fields. He was walking through. Told me all about who ran the place, what it was before then, and all about the surrounding area. He was a little eccentric, until I started to understand his motive.

He wanted to reconnect with the days when he was happy as a kid living in that area.

15 to 20 miles a day. In real big circles. Just like when he was younger. I can't fault him for that. We would all like to be kids again.

And so would I.

Ed

(07-08-2016 03:30 PM)bulletbob Wrote: [ -> ]Well Ed my hat is off to you, for getting started in the video phase of this hobby.Can't wait to see you dig up something good.

Bullet, I promise to you that the videos will come. I'm still trying to get through the software outside of Youtube. Much more professional. But my phone camera is really an Android dud. In time Bullet, in time.

Ed
(07-04-2016 07:05 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]I can see now why you like to hunt the woods. You have great open space in among those mature trees. Most of the woods around here are full of undergrowth and saplings, or newly planted pines with lots of grass and briers in between.

Thanks Shade. These are areas close to urban sectors that were abandoned for one reason or the other because the heirs went there own way or they were taken over by the municipalities surrounding them. In their foresight, the Cleveland Metroparks assumed the ownership to make it a really fabulous area for rough bicycle and nature trails which in my opinion are the best in the Metroparks area of multiple thousands of acres. You want to get lost, here's where to go if you get off trail.

Although I will say that only small sections or parts are the long forgotten areas. A 10 or so acre section here and there with the big trees, the dark shaded, leafed over ground, where even in bright sunlight you can't wear sunglasses because it's too shaded to see. Those my friend are the areas, those are the spots where time has stood still. And many discoveries are yet to be. When I hit an area like that, I feel I'm in a detecting chapel, so to speak. One with the Maker and a Minelab by my side. You can't imagine the excitement and the humbleness I get when I find those areas.

I found that 1835 holed LC in a spot like that, near an old pine. I wasn't the first one there. And probably not the last.

But our state forests here in Ohio outstrip anything the Metroparks have. I've been through a lot of them in the past. I yearn to go detect them. But I have many bridges to cross before that.

Ed
Cool pick!! that is a great find! I hate packing them out though lol
(07-17-2016 04:22 AM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Cool pick!! that is a great find! I hate packing them out though lol

Thanks Ron! I didn't pack it out. It's probably still sticking out of the ground where I placed it. Maybe some young pup will find it and drag it out. Yes Chuckle I got the photo's! That's all I care about it.

Ed
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's