Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Discovery Treasure Baron Metal Detectors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
These classic detectors were George Paynes inventions that were some of the hottest advanced digital programmable detectors ever made.
Even to this day are highly sought after. Command a premium price.

The legacy has been kept alive thru J. Birds website http://www.jb-ms.com/Baron/, and active forum.
Unfortunately, due to an illness JB past away this year. Over the past few days,
his forum site was taken down as the domain was not renewed.
Sad to hear, There was a wealth of information there.

But, all is not totally lost, due to a particular website that periodically takes snaphots of an entire website. Last snapshot was March 8, 2016, first was in 2004. So currently the info still lives on the web. I use this website all the time...

Did check last night, most of all of JB's site has been captured.
If anyone is interested in Treasure Barons. I will post the links below so anyone can access them.

https://web.archive.org/web/201601211024...com/Baron/

[attachment=8576][attachment=8577]
Thanks Sven. I am not very familiar with the Treasure Baron and much of the tech items offered in the site are over my head, but I do like reading the tips and techniques found in some of the pages. Always looking for ideas that someone has developed that might be useful to me as I learn my detector.

Forgot to add that I liked the pics of the Treasure Baron. My detector is sleek and contemporary, but I miss the tuning knobs as seen on the Baron. I guess that's why I like my old Whites so much--I always felt I had more control when I could fine tune with a twist of a dial.
they look interesting.  now someone tell me if I am wrong.  but it seems that the more "advanced" detectors get the less they really offer in "bells and whistles"
is it just me?
(07-09-2016 11:26 PM)rockhunter005 Wrote: [ -> ]they look interesting.  now someone tell me if I am wrong.  but it seems that the more "advanced" detectors get the less they really offer in "bells and whistles"
is it just me?

More bells and whistles, the more you tinker, the less you detect.
More advanced detectors come in different flavors those with less bells and whistles with many of the settings pre-set at the factory fo those that just want turn on and go machines. Then the same machine with lots of bells and whistles that the user can fine to whatever the person desires. Due to amount of B&W the detector may seem more powerful and gets more depth etc. And generally will and does. Doesn't mean the user will find more.

The Barons were no different, some were basic turn on and go and others such as the Cointrax could be a challenge to tune.

[Image: tbgtf.jpg]
[Image: baron-Types.jpg]
[Image: Viper.jpg]
[attachment=8583]

By the way, these are very deep detectors.
Biggest problem I have felt was the weight, the metal box versions were heavy when top mounted on a handle. When rear mounted like a Minelab Musketeer, they balanced better but, still a heavy unit.

[Image: BaronIIGTrax.jpg]
Nice looking machines. How well did they perform? Depth, separation and description?
Thanks for sharing the info too.

Sorry to hear about JB's passing but we all will face that one day.
Would give many detectors of today a run for the money in the depth dept., sensitivity to small targets. With the the rare small 6" coil, again gives many higher end detectors of today a run for the money.

I should have kept the one I had, it was just too heavy to swing more than a couple hours.

Rarely come up for sale, guys hoard them.

Found a really small gold ring with mine, think the second time out. And a small silver chain and my first "Half-Quarter" coin.

I remember reading that JB found more gold rings with his Baron than with any other detector.

I moved the battery pack under the arm cuff.
[attachment=8587]

[attachment=8588][attachment=8589][attachment=8590]
This is a great thread , I had never heard of these ; or a half quarter either.
I will keep my eyes open for one of these , if the price is right. The detector , not the half quarter Tongue
Great ring too !
Pat
Thanks for the post. I knew a guy that had one of these detectors and it was a great machine. When the man died I asked his wife about his equipment she gave it all away.
Just curious did he spent more time with his detector than his wife?
She was probably happy to finally be able to get rid of it to anyone who would just take it.
(07-12-2016 09:01 PM)Sven TreasureLinx Wrote: [ -> ]Just curious did he spent more time with his detector than his wife?
She was probably happy to finally be able to get rid of it to anyone who would just take it.

He did a lot of detecting , maybe that is why she gave it all away? I didn't think about that , you may be wright.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's