Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Gray Ghost Amphibian switch bypass.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had to bypass my volume switch. It developed that scratchy noise when I touched it. I reached out to a guy in the know OBN for advice.

He is a leader and very knowledgeable when it comes to water detectors. I suspect one of the best and there are more guys like him with years and years of experience. It would be nice to see these guys here too. I suspect a person can only do so much and may not have time to join another forum, etc. However, I know we have some experienced guys here on TC and that is good for us all.

I just wanted to give thanks to the experienced guys helping others by giving them insight and possibly preventing them from making a mistake from the school hard knots. Much appreciated.

Ok I will stop, I'm drifting again and getting chatty. lol

Placing a small screw driver at the bottom of headphone where the black and gray meet and pry them apart. Be careful sometimes the cables on glued to housing. Mine was not. Cut the switch out and connect the wires correctly.

I used phone block connectors. These have silicone inside (Waterproofing), I have used them before in wet outdoor environments on low voltage, not totally submerged. I had my soldering iron out and heat shrink and tube of silicone out but wanted to try this first.

If it does not work I will do it again using the solder and silicone.

It is a shame, I only had these for a few months. Not worth me returning since I had cut the end off to connect them to my excal. Plus I don't see the replacement lasting any longer unless there is a design change.
One of the guys mentioned they felt like the switch was a weak spot. To bad I liked the feature, especially since my unit is hard to adjust in my backpack.

[attachment=8609]
[attachment=8610]
Hope you get your phones fixed, Up. Sven might be able to lend some assistance, as he's very good with all of the electronic stuff. I can swing'm, but I can't fix'm, lol. I'll have to check again, but I could've swore I recently saw a set of phones on the classifieds. I'll PM you the link, in case you're interested.

Joe
(07-14-2016 09:16 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Hope you get your phones fixed, Up. Sven might be able to lend some assistance, as he's very good with all of the electronic stuff. I can swing'm, but I can't fix'm, lol. I'll have to check again, but I could've swore I recently saw a set of phones on the classifieds. I'll PM you the link, in case you're interested.

Joe

Thanks Joe.

Not needed. Mine are fixed less a volume knob on headset. I will set the threshold and volume with machine. If someone walks up to talk I will have to pull them off.

I doubt any volume POT can hold up to saltwater environment that are not in-housed with orings around the shaft. Not sure the water intrusion was from the shaft or the silicone cover POT.

You're right about Sven. He is a world of knowledge and has super craftsmanship. I bet he could design a waterproof volume switch. I have read many articles from Sven that go way back. LOL. I seen a picture of him in a creek somewhere in the South and he was amazed how deep the pocket of holes were. He must of been in his 30s.

Garrett might need to consult with him and make these a little better. The volume knob is not holding up.

Sven, what do you think? Do I need to send you the switch? Can't have the whole machine right now it is the season!
A man has to do what a man has to do. Last time I tried that on a Koss pair I had, well, and I hate to admit it, TOTAL FAILURE! So KUDOS to you Up for the patience and veracity to get it done!

Ed
Nice fix on the headset Updown. Happy you could do it without having to lose hunting time or spending $$ on a new set. I'm thinking you can mod the switch back to better than original in your off time with a little ingenuity like you've already shown. The phone connectors are a nice touch; better than wire nuts and tape. You'd think something with "Amphibian" in the title would be better at salt/moisture.
Thank you shadeseeker. Sometimes, it doesn't feel like it. But, I'm fortunate my father made us work on things that broke around the house, cars, bikes, etc. Sometimes I would have rather be playing.
But this made me mechanical inclined. As a adult I often wanted to pay someone else to handle the problem. Which I have a few times, whether it's not having the tools or the headache. But normally I do it myself. I then know for sure the details and the actual cost including my time.

I was able to thank my Dad for teaching us. He would always say if a job is worth doing, it's worth doing right. No halfway.

I have already, been thinking of a way to waterproof the switch in the future. Intrusion had to be either the front or back. I'll keep you updated.

In this day and time it seems manufacturers uses the consumer to do the testing for their products. This saves them money and gets the returns on investment coming in sooner.
Nice repair job. Last pair I tried to repair had that very fine wire that you can't solder, kept burning up the wire. Next time I will use the connector you used.
Great job, it also gives you a good feeling when it's done. Very smart reaching out to OBN for advice
Two areas of concern. Otherwise a great sounding pair of headsets.
Water leaking into the pots that are not waterproof by nature.
Water leaking into the piezo speaker cups.
Some Marine Goop to seal the pot in the chamber and around the piezo, should solve any of the problems.

Pot can be replaced with a RV6 sealed precision pot similar to this one $10-15.00 each
http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgr...eries/5685
[Image: SPRU5031S28.jpg]

[attachment=8613][attachment=8614]
Thanks Svens for the advice. Shame to know the piezo housing has leaked. Surprise water got pass seals.
Reference URL's