Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Bad luck again. Now coil replacement.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's ok, it's only money and I have to push forward. As most of you know, bought used excalibur that had rotten headphone cable, which I replaced. What does that tell you? The others will need replacing.

In the process of putting my detech 12 x 10 on. I did not have a tornado coil and I'm going on a long weekend with the wife at the beach. Heard good and bad about using this coil in this environment. I guess I will have my own opinion soon.

I decided not to replace the battery wire, I twisted it, and it's not hard like the coil cable. I did not have enough time to replace this, and I feel it not a problem.

The coil cable would crack, only near the unit. Once you get away from the unit it seems more flexible. Weird? Not really a lot of heat being generated by the unit.

Got the old wire and epoxy out using die grinder. Don't buy the $9 die grinder at harbor freight. It sucks.

Got the chart for the wire conversion. Plus I know a few tips on this process if any one needs them.

Plan to pour this evening, and solder the wires tomorrow. Have it ready to hunt Friday evening. I'll keep you updated as this unfolds.
[attachment=8633]
[attachment=8634]
Damn man, I'm sorry to hear that. I remember you talking about the Excalibur you purchased. That really sucks. But like you said, you gotta push forward.
I actually just lost my wallet with a ton of important stuff in it. Gotta get it all back now...
We will push through it together and defeat these evil demons Chuckle
Best of luck Friday and keep cool YesBeer
Lots of times when you buy used stuff you get saddled with someone else's problems, but you don't know it til they pop up and bite you. It's good that you have the intuition and the skill to put the fix in place. You've shown that before in other posts. Hope nothing new arises to spoil your weekend plans, and let us see your finds.
Thanks guys. Yes, it is the way it goes sometimes. Couple times I have been fortunate to purchase something that someone practically restored but couldn't but another dime into it anymore. Then I purchase it and gives me no problems. I have also been the guy that threw in towel a few times too because of the problems and out of patience.

Zach, sorry to hear about your wallet. Hope your able to replace your items with not much trouble.

I have a backup detector, but I really wanted to use this one. But, even if I didn't bring a detector I want my wife and I to have a good time. Without a detector, I might go thru withdrawals. Hopefully she could reel me in. Lol

Thanks again guys, I'll let you know what happens.
Got it poured, now got to solder it to the pcb.
[attachment=8637]
Well at least you have the knowledge to take a chance and fix it. Some of the stuff on detectors is pretty touchy. I guess it worked out. Job well done.Yes

Ed
Been fixing stuff all my life. Sometimes it's not a happy ending. But that's how we learn sometimes. Plus I got resources and we all help each other. My oldest brother is really good on soldering and asked him for help. I can do it, and have. But he is a lot more graceful and knows how to control the heat and flow better. But he always tells and shows me how. He said, with a 25 watt pencil iron, he likes to grind the tip. (Flat not sharp) Giving it more surface and he likes the iron to get hot. He plugs in way ahead of time allowing it to get hot.
I'm lucky to have a brother like him. Our mechanical attitudes came from our father when we were young.

Yes repaired and comparing it to stock 10". It's done good for the most part. I do see advantages with both..

Noticed brother is grounded.

[attachment=8654]
Reference URL's