Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Bittersweet finds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Two bittersweet finds. I was detecting in Colville park in Red Wing, about to dig another deep dime signal when I heard "HEY". I looked up to see a policeman standing there. He politely told me that Red Wing no longer allowed digging in the parks. Same old story....some detectorist(s) were careless and left unfilled holes and mounds of dirt, not bothering to make a clean recovery. In addition to the two dimes, I found 1917, 1918 D and 1930 wheat cents. I'll always wonder what was in that last hole I couldn't dig! Damn! I wish people would be courteous. I'm tired of being penalized because of the actions of the 1%'ers.
[attachment=8651]
Nice finds regardless Knipper! I haven't run into that here in the parks for a long time. But the attitude people in general have is they pay taxes and can do whatever they want. Which backfires onto hobbyists like ourselves. You got that minelab so your hunch was probably right about the target. Too bad, but better luck next time for sure.

Going to be a scorcher here starting Wednesday. I used to be able to take the heat quite well but lately I just can't stand it. Fill in for us when you can. Love seeing that silver.

Ed/ODF
Congrats on the nice finds. Sorry to hear about the officer up holding a law that negatively impacts us. This law needs to be overturned. We are required to get annual permits in my county.
They are free at the moment. It is a way authority can set the guide lines and revoke privileges if a problem arises. So far, the rules are reasonable, no digging on athletics fields, small holes must be covered, no shovels etc.
Maybe this would be good in your area too. You have the right to enjoy the park, its your tax dollars.

If you do not want to fight this fight, I would just go again until I was told to leave again. Of course, wait a few days when they drop their radar.

Good luck, those are really nice!
Really nice coins!  Too bad about another location lost to us due to others carelessness!
Sorry to hear of your encounter with the officer, but you did all right none the less. The two dimes are quite nice. We need to be on our best at all times when hunting on public areas. It only takes one episode of bad digging manners to ruin what should be a perfectly acceptable practice of our pastime. The police chief here and the city manager gave me their blessing to look on city property, but advised me to do it properly, lest the permission be rescinded. I wrote a blog piece on this aspect of the hobby but never put it forward; might reconsider and put it in the  "Lounge " if there is any interest.
Great couple coins knipper.. It sucks the the ethics of others have ruined your day. Only thing we can do is be the best we can in this hobby
Sorry to hear about another closed park , they are becoming far too common because of a few boneheads.
  Great finds on the dimes though , that last signal you didn't get to dig would really bother me.
GL & HH
Pat
It's an all too common occurrence with sloppy detectorists ruining things for those of us who are respectful and cautious. Great score on the silver! And the last signal that you didn't get to dig...pop can Yes
Reference URL's