Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Ordered a new Control Panel.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well I bit the bullet and spent the $62 bucks it costs to get a new aftermarket minelab control panel from Detectorbitsco.uk. When I get it I'm going to make the attempt to replace the old one on my SE Pro. It looks fairly simple to do but the one fella who has a video about doing it says "Take your time." . So I'm going to do just that. Lock myself up in my office and take a few deep breaths and go for it. I don't know why I'm apprehensive about it because I've done all kinds of replacements on cell phone parts in the past, but if you screw up a phone, crap, you can just go get another one for $100.

I love my SE. If I slaughter the poor girl then I will in fact buy another one. The power switch has stopped working and the IM switch now does the same. I'm wide open all the time. Which around these parts is enough to drive you batty! More than usual I might add. I'll take some before and after vids but I'm not vidding the operation because that's one too many things to add to the pile. This to me is major surgery to my honey and I can't make ANY mistakes!

Wish me luck!

Ed
I'm wishing you luck. You got skillz, you can do it. Especially if you know what to expect. Hats off to the folks that are kind enough to make a video and share the dos and don'ts.
Heck, where you been? I got phones that cost $700 dollars. Anytime you have a decent about of money invested it makes you break into a sweat thinking it might be unsuccessful. But relax you got this if you did your research and have the right tools. Those little screw and cables are stressful for me some times. My eye sight and not as steady hands are trying to prevent me from accomplishing the job now. I manage, with glasses and third hands and bracing myself.

Good luck hope it is successful. Remember some electronics you need to be grounded. To prevent the static charge.

Keep us updated, and remember it's not a freaking brick!
Thanks for the encouragement UP and LOL at the brick remark. Of course bricklayers make the best lovers because we know exactly how to pick them up and then lay them down!!! (Old bricklayer joke!) Chuckle And I know how you feel about the hands and eyesight. I gave up tying trout flies about ten years ago. Even with magnification it was a disaster.

Ed
Good luck with your project Ed. I can understand the nervousness, but what else can you do? I expect it will be easier than you think, once you make the jump into the repair. Do let us know the results.
Well I got the new control panel. It's in perfect shape. I emailed Tony Hunt of Detectorbits.co.uk that all was well and I'd keep him informed on the install. But what I really like is the mail from Great Britain. I mean nobody hardly ever mails anything anymore. Like the pen pal days. Different stamps from different people around the world. So just for giggles I'm posting the package and it's content so you too can see what a itsy bitsy package from the POST in jolly old England looks like. Enjoy!

Ed
You got this! Looks good, and it has a beefy ribbon cable which is a plus. Sometimes you have to study where it is connect. The connecting block has some kind of lock device for cable. Some are flip ups, others I have seen are pull outs. But I'm sure you already are aware of this... Hopefully this cover is not glued to the LCD screen. If so, you will need a heat gun and some possibly some small wire to slide in between the cover and LCD. Also you never really want to heat a LCD screen NO more than 180 degrees. Less if possible. Anyway, my experience comes from cell phone repairs and failures not detector screens. Sad I doubt this is glued, fingers crossed.

Good luck!
(08-11-2016 07:03 PM)updownup Wrote: [ -> ]You got this! Looks good, and it has a beefy ribbon cable which is a plus. Sometimes you have to study where it is connect. The connecting block has some kind of lock device for cable. Some are flip ups, others I have seen are pull outs. But I'm sure you already are aware of this... Hopefully this cover is not glued to the LCD screen. If so, you will need a heat gun and some possibly some small wire to slide in between the cover and LCD. Also you never really want to heat a LCD screen NO more than 180 degrees. Less if possible. Anyway, my experience comes from cell phone repairs and failures not detector screens. Sad I doubt this is glued, fingers crossed.

Good luck!

Yes, it is glued. That video shows the fella using a hair dryer on a low setting and fractionally lifting the old one off. The deal is to remove the plate first so it's totally loose and then disconnect the ribbon. I don't see a ribbon lock in the vid but he wasn't too clear on that so thanks for the heads up. I forsee my biggest problem being setting the plate back down on the box so it aligns with the recess properly and isn't canted. I know when I do tempered glass screen protectors on our phones it takes me two or three tries to get it exactly right. With this however there are no second chances because this glue sticks quite well.

Ed
Ok, just be careful. Before peeling off the plastic cover exposing the glue. I place it on there a few times trying to gather some references marks. Another thing to consider does it need to even be glued to lcd screen. I recall a time some weren't. I think a lot of things being glued is to have to replace the whole front screen or, keep you from diy. Good luck.

You can Google ribbon cable locks for images and how tos.
Reference URL's