Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #40 BIG SILVER! & Another Shot IH!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I videod this one but after I dug it because I was running into a lot of can tops. I'll put it into the compilation, but first I have to figure out how to bleep out the swearing!!

I've been to this spot about more than a dozen times. It's a small area and loaded with old whiskey bottles, beer cans, headstamps, bullets, shell casings, foil, 2 fire rings and all kinds of miscellaneous junk, mostly junk car parts like old thermostats, oil filters etc. And in one of the videos I got caught in a buckets of rain downpour about a week and a half ago about 15 minutes from the truck.

So far in this area I've found a Rosie, that 1917S Walker Half this year and today, to my great surprise, a 1906 Barber Half for silver. I've found a pile of wheat cents there as well which was the main reason I kept going back.

I first found about two feet away from the Barber Half a shot penny. I suspected it was an IH and I was correct. But the date on the other side of the photo is just not there. I can't believe it but this is my second shot IH this year!

So there was a lot of gun type horsing around there by people who liked to hunt, Target practice, fix there cars, drink and have a campfire. These are old woods. There use to be a covered bridge and homestead near there back in the 1860's but it got destroyed by so many floods they gave up and in the 1940's put a ford over the river. The house was never rebuilt after the last horrific flood of 1908 or so. It's a real beautiful place to hunt.

It was hot today, around 87F, and very sticky, but bearable. Got out early because all my guys are pretty seasoned and follow instructions well. Thank God for that. I was detecting from around 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm before the hot and sticky said "Go Home!" (And the 2 bottles of ice water ran out!)

I wish that all of you Guys and Gals have fun out there and HAPPY HUNTING! Yes

Ed/ODF
Nice 1/2 there Ed!!

Congrats Yes

BeerBeer
WOW! That is a jaw dropper! That is a beauty for sure. I know you was excited and the shot I.H is a real surprise too. You hit it on the nail, this place is exactly like you described. Guys with guns and cars killing time. Wow, super nice find. Happy for you.
My hats is off to you for your dedication and will power.

I actually was thinking about you on the way home from work when I seen this tag. I was thinking of you in the heat and you should take it easy. But heck, if you don't tough it out you might not find a Old Barber. At least, your aware of the heat and have taken some water and know your limits.

[attachment=8660]

I know the sign doesn't describe you, but it had me thinking about you. I know you have and work hard at anything you want to achieve. Good luck and I'm happy for you.
Thank you so much for sharing the details.
You done good ED! That '06 half is a real winner. Keep them coming. Thanks for the narratives on the discoveries---I 'll know the kinds of things to look for if and when I venture into the woods. You can edit out the swearing if you want to, but we've all been there and done that. No surprises I would think.
(08-09-2016 06:37 PM)updownup Wrote: [ -> ]WOW! That is a jaw dropper! That is a beauty for sure. I know you was excited and the shot I.H is a real surprise too. You hit it on the nail, this place is exactly like you described. Guys with guns and cars killing time. Wow, super nice find. Happy for you.
My hats is off to you for your dedication and will power.

I actually was thinking about you on the way home from work when I seen this tag. I was thinking of you in the heat and you should take it easy. But heck, if you don't tough it out you might not find a Old Barber. At least, your aware of the heat and have taken some water and know your limits.

I know the sign doesn't describe you, but it had me thinking about you. I know you have and work hard at anything you want to achieve. Good luck and I'm happy for you.
Thank you so much for sharing the details.

Man you got me pegged Up!! LOL! Thanks very much! And Easy Ed on this North Shore is actually kinda lazy, but very, very efficient! And those Rav4 are really nice rides. My air ain't workin in the 98 truck so it's hell all over unless I park in the shade. I got old fashioned AC, windows wide open! Hope to get that fixed this Fall. We got the AC at the ranch here set at 73F. I have to get up in the middle of the night and turn it up to 76F so I can stop freezing!! Chuckle

Ed

(08-09-2016 08:24 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]You done good ED! That '06 half is a real winner. Keep them coming. Thanks for the narratives on the discoveries---I 'll know the kinds of things to look for if and when I venture into the woods. You can edit out the swearing if you want to, but we've all been there and done that. No surprises I would think.

Thanks Shade! It was only one and I caught myself on camera and changed the verbiage to edit later. But if it's too difficult to edit and no one minds I'll let her fly. If I recorded myself like Mountain Bouncer on YT,(Pete), then I'd be kinda worried, somewhat. But I actually think he reminds me of myself. People who hear me must think I'm some kind of eccentric crazy old man out there. But, I'm just being me. And that's life.

Ed

(08-09-2016 06:28 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]Nice 1/2 there Ed!!

Congrats Yes

BeerBeer

Thanks MRH! But I'd love to have your experience and knowledge of the machines. You're one of the best bro! No smoke either. Chuckle

Ed
Nice, no halfs for me yet this year. Congrats!
Congrats on number 40 , and it is an awesome half dollar to boot. 
   You got me thinking between life happens , hot weather and dry ground I can only claim 10 or so silvers this year. It is great to see someone getting out this year and showing some success.
    I always appreciate the way you tell the story of your hunts , if I can't dirt fish , I should at least be able to feel like I was there on your hunt.
   I hope you keep them coming.
Pat
Way to go Ed!. A Barber Half is still on my bucket list.
Gerry
Damn Ed that's awesome! I can't wait to find my first large silver. I'm sure it's great seeing that big shiny! The Indian is awesome as well, I love coins like that. Keep up the good work YesYes
(08-10-2016 11:34 AM)Gerry F Wrote: [ -> ]Way to go Ed!. A Barber Half is still on my bucket list.
Gerry

Thanks Gerry! This is my second detecting career Barber Half, and I was flabbergasted, which you'll see in the video when I finish it. You probably do this too but I know I do it all the time, and that's dig or uncover those damn aluminum can tops. I don't know what idiot decided to put an aluminum top on a formed steel vessel, okay, maybe to give the steelworkers a lift with a new venue, but it was a damn bad idea. There all over the flipping place!!! And I'd hazard a guess that 1 in 500 turns out to be a silver half or a Washington. So you just have to go with the odds, like foil, or gold. Hope you're able to get out. Flipping brutal weather here today. Can't even imagine what it's like on the East shore! HH my friend, when you can.

Ed

(08-10-2016 08:10 AM)Digsit Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats on number 40 , and it is an awesome half dollar to boot. 
   You got me thinking between life happens , hot weather and dry ground I can only claim 10 or so silvers this year. It is great to see someone getting out this year and showing some success.
    I always appreciate the way you tell the story of your hunts , if I can't dirt fish , I should at least be able to feel like I was there on your hunt.
   I hope you keep them coming.
Pat

Pat,

I'm so glad you enjoy my verbiage. Wait until you see the video! I hope the weather down there turns for you so you're able to get out and hunt. As of yesterday we have had pop up T storms about every hour and a half with huge amounts of rain during and prompting flood warnings and driving our poor dog crazy with the booms and the lightning. But like I tell the wife, our elevation is so high that if we ever did get a flood, we better have Noah's Arc because it would be a 10 thousand year event. We need the rain though. Corn here was feeble on the Fourth when it should have been knee high.

Ed

(08-10-2016 05:55 PM)Zachbl92 Wrote: [ -> ]Damn Ed that's awesome! I can't wait to find my first large silver. I'm sure it's great seeing that big shiny! The Indian is awesome as well, I love coins like that. Keep up the good work YesYes

Zach,

Thanks and in many ways you have. I "WISH" I could find some of the old silver you've found!! All things have an equal my friend and you have found many equalizers! Don't ever forget that.

Ed
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's