Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Couldn't Help Myself--Just Needed A New Project
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Taking the SMT soldering challenge. Going to attempt my first VLF build that is as small as a Tesoro Umax detector.

[attachment=8718]

Had a few circuit boards made up, now will have to hunt down parts.
1206 size parts

[Image: SMDsizes.jpg]

Some specs
VLF Disc modes
2 tone
Manual Ground balance
Threshold based
Possible switchable frequency 8 and 18khz

If successful, if not, you'll know..........................
Take my word for it Sven, just looking at that stuff has me shaking like a leaf Shake Worried !!!!!

Best of luck on your project!

Ed
Sven,

Good luck with the build. I solder 1206 with my regular Weller soldering station, so no worries. It sounds like an interesting project for the cold days to come. Do you have a source for the PCB's? I would jump right in and build one too.

Hagen
(08-30-2016 07:54 AM)FschJg Wrote: [ -> ]Sven,

Good luck with the build. I solder 1206 with my regular Weller soldering station, so no worries. It sounds like an interesting project for the cold days to come. Do you have a source for the PCB's? I would jump right in and build one too.

Hagen

Will PM you
Just ordered the bulk of the parts I will need, off to a good start.
Good luck Sven, and keep us informed as to how things proceed. I have learned that if any one on this forum can get this done right , it is you.  Do you have to use proportionately smaller tools, clamps, tweezers etc. for this work?
(09-08-2016 11:52 AM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Good luck Sven, and keep us informed as to how things proceed. I have learned that if any one on this forum can get this done right , it is you.  Do you have to use proportionately smaller tools, clamps, tweezers etc. for this work?

Probably tweezers unless you have long thin witches finger nails. Magnifying glasses or big lighted magnifying lens and light. Small tip soldering iron or hot air type soldering station. The tiny parts I am using are still humanly possible to solder with a soldering iron with a pencil type tip. So there are a few options I can choose.
Had a few setbacks with this project, in case anyone was wondering and looking for an update.
Had to have new circuit boards made. Apparently when converting the circuit board layout files from one file layout to another, I was not aware that I had to mirror top and bottom layers. So what happened was the top layer was the bottom layer, the the bottom layer was the top. So parts would not fit right they would be upside down or backwards. Easiest solution was having new boards made up.

[attachment=9307]

Maybe the next few weekends I will get one populated with parts.

[attachment=9306]
God bless you, Sven. Looks like an abstract painting to me...confusing, lol. Who makes the boards?
There are two software programs that are used to make layout the boards from a schematic: Gerber and or Sprint .
Then you send the files off to a manufacture of the PCB's, when they arrive, it's Solder-Time.

[attachment=9309]

You might find these videos informative

Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's