Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Spoon, Insulator & Button
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Rough day in the woods. Must've trekked a good five miles total. But a gorgeous day to do it!

Got a nice plated spoon, a real nice glass insulator and some kind of button. Got the spoon off what was the driveway of an old abandoned homestead that just has a cellar hole and the button in the cellar hole. Found the insulator near some power lines but can't be from them and must've been tossed by the crew working on them. Literally lying half submerged in the dirt. I also found an old toasted Wheat which I think is a 36D but under different lighting looks like a 24. So toast I guess. Strange thing is though I found it about five feet from the spoon and near it a mason jar lid without the glass seal. The area is so overgrown now that I won't trek back there until late Fall when all that stuff dies out for the Winter. So not a total loss.

Have fun out there Guys and Gals and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed
Nice finds Ed

can you make out the makers mark on the button?
Um...that button though? Looks fucking awesome. Should get a ID on that.
I heard some of those insulators are worth some $$$$
Plus the nice spoon?
Great relic day YesYes
Good luck out there and happy hunting
Love the insulator I use to see them alot near the RR tracks.
(09-11-2016 09:39 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]Nice finds Ed

can you make out the makers mark on the button?

Wayne,

As near as I can tell it says... POTMANN & ALBIEN - X.... and that's a guess. I tried to clean around the lettering but am afraid I may damage it beyond recognition. I need some kind of vise device that has a magnifier and a light so I can work on it hands free. I have one of those Harbor Freight ones but I cannibalized it for another project. If you look close at the emblem side there is an eagle at the top with it's wings spread. And the person on the left is holding scales. You or Bullet Bob got any ideas I'd really appreciate the info!!Yes

Ed

(09-11-2016 10:50 PM)Cladjunky Wrote: [ -> ]Love the insulator I use to see them alot near the RR tracks.

Turns out to be an AT&T telephone insulator of an earlier version but one that was made in the multi millions by Hemingray, so it's pretty common. The patent refers to the little points at the bottom of the skirt which were put there to help dew and condensation drip off better from the insulator. These were made up until 1940. The little points were referred to by the line crews as "teet's". This one has three or four damaged and was probably discarded because of that. It's not worth much but it's really a good display piece and I'm seeing that some of all varieties of insulators are being used in decorative commercial bar and restaurant lighting with the new LED diode lighting, which is a kind of "past into the future" theme. As I said a while back, everything is a circle.

Ed
This is your button Ed

HORTSMANN & ALLIEN

NY Excelsior Button (NY216B-2)

1840s/50s Pre War

it's a rarer one!

[Image: Excelsiabutton_zpsqmnw240p.jpg]
Nice ID Mich!
I did a little digging around and found hortsmann & albien by only going on "mann" i could make out. But for some reason I didn't find that one.
That's great. Awesome! Congrats Ed!!!
Thanks very much Wayne!!! YesBeer That's real interesting information. Guess that cellar hole is pretty old then. I also noticed a lot of bricks lying about and didn't recognize the name they had molded onto them. I'll get a picture of one of those too because it'll help date the structure. Also a boatload of broken plates and glassware. I have the area on video and am putting it together. Probably have it ready for the weekend.

Ed
Ed

I'd scour/sift that area 10xs over pal

There's got to be more there and something good!

I'd suggest making a sifter with some 2x4s and lath/screen that you can get at the HomeDepot like 2ftx3ft and just start shoveling/siftin the dirt while now & then Detectin too.

I'd lay $$ that you'd find a lot more than you might think there Wink

Who knows. You might find a rare intact button worth $500/$600 or more!

HH
Wayne! Happy Birthday! Don't get any easier, believe me. I will take your advice to the extent of which I can get away with it where I am at. If I'm seen too much nosing around there, I might be hijacked by others who pay attention. You know me. Patience is a very good friend when needed. I'll keep everyone informed when I go hit it again. And thank you for the upbeat tone! I can see you drooling! As do I when I see some of your sites! Chuckle

Ed
Reference URL's