Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: There's just something about.............
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
older analog metal detectors that modern digital detectors can't duplicate exactly when manufacturers try.  Us old timers  who have used both will tell you. Many of us still tend to gravitate back to older units kept around even after trying modern digital detectors. You know, if you could just get the disc. mode depth of modern digitals out of older analogs with some mods we would be smiling. 

Came across a good deal on a heavy hitter from the early 1890's, oops 1980's
a Teknetics Mark 1. Couldn't resist, always wanted one, just a bit too costly for me back then. Had a friend at that time who was killing the silver coins with his. That's about the time I changed focus from land detecting to scuba diving for treasure.
Finally I get to own one and see what all the ruckus is about. Guys to this day just love the Mark 1, think it has cult status. They are a bit on the heavy side, the one I have on the way is a harder to find factory version hip mount.

Cool thing for me is I have a number of mods that can be done to the circuitry to enhance its performance a little closer to modern day detectors. By the way I like knobs, switches and meters...........
[Image: s-l1600.jpg]
[Image: tek1.jpg]
Knobs and dials and meters, oh my!

And I'm sure a veteran like yourself will do very well with it. Although not the stuff that dreams are made of, your Frankenstein adaptations will suffice beyond your expectations. Best of luck Sven and let us know. Ya never can tell what comes from a Frankensteen!

Ed
That Teknetics is a real beauty Sven, and I sure hope you get great results with it. I understand well all the sentiments you expressed about the older units. That's why I was so glad to find a working 40 year old White's 5000/D, just like my first detector. To me the older machines are almost like the old muscle cars I grew up with---now if I could find out where my old 440 Roadrunner is!
Always have to be tinkering.... [Image: lmfao.gif]

Started on modifying my 1984 Teknetics Mark 1 a month ago which are now complete.
Just have to add the decals to the sides of the detector.

What are the mods?

Adding:
Fine Tune Ground Balance control:
You will be able to take the ground balance positive or
negative to as far as possible, while being stable, for the site your hunting

Notch Window control:
This will allow you to make the
notch 4 times wider or 8 times narrower.

Discrimination Fine Tune control: This will allow you to fine
tune iron out almost to the very edge but it will give a very distinct popping sound.
This along with a small coil will be the very best park or trashy area detector

Depth Mod : about an extra inch when you are able
to run the sensitivity control really high.

[attachment=9303]

Converted the battery supply from 12 and 9 volt AA batteries to 9 volt system. Since all the battery clips needed replacing and its tough getting replacements, this was the best option. Plus I can recharge the Alkaline 9 volts.

[attachment=9304]

Powered the Mark 1 up and did a bunch of indoor air testing and my tub of dirt.
There was an air test depth improvement overall by about 2" with the 7" coil.
In ground tub test, lost the 2" which was expected.
Haven't tested the 10" coil yet.
Have to say it is a very smooth running detector and will be relaxing to use instead of some of the modern day hyper active digital detectors hanging on the wall.

I love the chest mount harness I picked up for camera cases. 6 point mount harness, attaches in 30 seconds. The Mark 1
rest comfortably and firmly on the chest. meter facing downwards and can easily be easily read. I do have the Mark 1 resting higher up on my chest than the camera bag pictured.

[attachment=9305]

Now just have to go out and give it a field test.
[Image: snagshare.gif]
Might only be in the backyard today (good weather) as the wife needs the car to take her daughter around for a wedding dress.
Oh wow, very nice. Awesome additions you've made. Looks like that'll be a nice detector to swing for sure! Glad all worked out on this project!

Tom, I call first dibs on a ride in the roadrunner when you find it
Reference URL's