Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Makro Racer Airtest 4.5x5 and 7x11 coils with VDI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[attachment=8880][attachment=8881][attachment=8882][attachment=8883]
I didn't see alot of VDI info on the web along with depths so I put together some on a cold morning. I only did All Metal and 3 tone with the coils 2 tone was crazy indoors. Here are some Pics. Airtests are good for VDI and general depth Your soil will change it.
That's a hell of alot of info John and you are to be commended for such detailed work. Field results may differ slightly based on ground conditions, aspect of the object spatially in the ground and the depth. But from a reference standpoint you have created a great groundwork to base field results on. Can you exel that info and print it in sheets or .pdf? I'm sure once that kind of available info hits the web it will be snapped up by all the Macro Racer users. I know I downloaded and printed and laminated all those type of references for my SE Pro. They were indispensable when I was a newbie with the machine and I carried them with me for several months until I learned what the machine was telling me. Great work man!!!!!!! YesYesYes

Ed
Thanks took awhile to do it but I personally needed the info. I also posted those 4 pics on the Makro Racer 1 and 2 facebook page for all of those on it to use. No idea how to excel it I just took a pick with the phone after writing down all the info then used windows paint to shrink it and add text Happy When I get a new machine I kinda go nutz on it.
That's a nice bit of research and documentation Junky. I know it will benefit you as you work with the Racer, but as Ed mentioned many other people using or considering that machine will be grateful for your work, and eagerly put it to use. I can't tell you how many pages I have visited looking for info on my detector, and I was always glad that someone had done the work and made it available. Good job.
Sweet! Another detector and great info. If I can get a good used deal on a racer I'll Go for it. Always wanted one. Want a racer 2 or a fisher f75 ltd se. Ultimate detector I'd like is the DEUS!
Fields are finally being harvested here. Expect some finds soon!
Good luck and happy hunting and thx for the info again! Very good.
Thanks for putting so much time & effort into the air tests. I'm sure there are quite a few others here who own the Racer, and the numerous lurkers who will get much mileage from your tests Yes Having never used one, would you mind elaborating on your overall assessment of the Racer, based on your usage?

Joe
So far out of all the detectors this year I would say its the easiest to use with the most options making it a mid level tool with very nice depth but falsing on the bigger iron is common making it look like a quarter. The gold signals are solid no bouncing to get the best depth use the default settings I am sure you can tweak it with the gain up to max and such but all that is going to do is get you the same depth with louder non vdi tones and alot of background popping. I purchased the Pro package so I have the 7x11 and 4.5x5 but even in trashy area's the 7x11 seems to work great high tones in garbage iron are common letting you know something is good down there even if the iron around it makes the vdi alittle unstable. Keep in mind i Have only been using it for 1 week but I put 16 hours in over the weekend and an hour after work during the week.

So... in heavy trash ground I recommend 3 tone the coins ring out high and sweet, but in the open field or farm I would go All metal since it is the deepest and you seem to get the most reliable vdi out of it even on iron. I could see a silver quarter or Half hitting 12-14 inches in All metal now I just need to go find it Happy

I rank it higher then these detectors with ease of use and options.
(BH quicksilver)(Tek Delta 4000)(Gofind 40)(Ace 400)(Whites Treasure Pro)(At Pro)(Tesoro Compadre)(Tesoro Deleon)(Fisher F2)(Fisher F22) All the detectors I have bought and used for 40 hours plus each since Late March of this year 2016. Only 2 of them comes close the At Pro and Tesoro Deleon no fancy VDI screen with the Deleon but great depth and Disc. Hope this helps some they made a nice machine with the Makro Racer and the coils can be used on the Makro Racer 2 just more options and the ability to save settings on the MR2. If your thinking of getting 1 also look at the fors core a lunch box version of the makro racer.
(10-25-2016 09:33 PM)Cladjunky Wrote: [ -> ]So far out of all the detectors this year I would say its the easiest to use with the most options making it a mid level tool with very nice depth but falsing on the bigger iron is common making it look like a quarter. The gold signals are solid no bouncing to get the best depth use the default settings I am sure you can tweak it with the gain up to max and such but all that is going to do is get you the same depth with louder non vdi tones and alot of background popping. I purchased the Pro package so I have the 7x11 and 4.5x5 but even in trashy area's the 7x11 seems to work great high tones in garbage iron are common letting you know something is good down there even if the iron around it makes the vdi alittle unstable. Keep in mind i Have only been using it for 1 week but I put 16 hours in over the weekend and an hour after work during the week.

So... in heavy trash ground I recommend 3 tone the coins ring out high and sweet, but in the open field or farm I would go All metal since it is the deepest and you seem to get the most reliable vdi out of it even on iron. I could see a silver quarter or Half hitting 12-14 inches in All metal now I just need to go find it Happy

(BH quicksilver)(Tek Delta 4000)(Gofind 40)(Ace 400)(Whites Treasure Pro)(At Pro)(Tesoro Compadre)(Tesoro Deleon)(Fisher F2)(Fisher F22) All the detectors I have bought and used for 40 hours plus each since Late March of this year 2016. Only 2 of them comes close the At Pro and Tesoro Deleon no fancy VDI screen with the Deleon but great depth and Disc. Hope this helps some they made a nice machine with the Makro Racer and the coils can be used on the Makro Racer 2 just more options and the ability to save settings on the MR2. If your thinking of getting 1 also look at the fors core a lunch box version of the makro racer.

That's a very informative write-up, thank you. To be fair, I believe all machines false on bigger/deeper iron, so I wouldn't necessarily put that as a negative for the Racer, but I see exactly the point you're trying to make. Having never used the Racer myself, I will give credit where credit is due, and say this...

These foreign manufacturers have surely figured out the 'secret sauce'. Seems the American way is to roll out tiny advancements every so often, along with useless new features, and claim the machines as the best things since sliced bread. All while charging more and more money for them.

Whereas, with the foreign based companies, I see TRUE innovation happening. In leaps and bounds. Think of units like the Deus, Racer, Fors, etc. As cliche as it sounds, not only do they think outside the box, they jump on it and blow it to pieces! Maybe the American detector manufacturers can learn something from this. Being young and nimble has its advantages, as does having no corporate board to answer to.

Joe
(10-25-2016 10:06 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-25-2016 09:33 PM)Cladjunky Wrote: [ -> ]So far out of all the detectors this year I would say its the easiest to use with the most options making it a mid level tool with very nice depth but falsing on the bigger iron is common making it look like a quarter. The gold signals are solid no bouncing to get the best depth use the default settings I am sure you can tweak it with the gain up to max and such but all that is going to do is get you the same depth with louder non vdi tones and alot of background popping. I purchased the Pro package so I have the 7x11 and 4.5x5 but even in trashy area's the 7x11 seems to work great high tones in garbage iron are common letting you know something is good down there even if the iron around it makes the vdi alittle unstable. Keep in mind i Have only been using it for 1 week but I put 16 hours in over the weekend and an hour after work during the week.

That's a very informative write-up, thank you. To be fair, I believe all machines false on bigger/deeper iron, so I wouldn't necessarily put that as a negative for the Racer, but I see exactly the point you're trying to make. Having never used the Racer myself, I will give credit where credit is due, and say this...

These foreign manufacturers have surely figured out the 'secret sauce'. Seems the American way is to roll out tiny advancements every so often, along with useless new features, and claim the machines as the best things since sliced bread. All while charging more and more money for them.

Whereas, with the foreign based companies, I see TRUE innovation happening. In leaps and bounds. Think of units like the Deus, Racer, Fors, etc. As cliche as it sounds, not only do they think outside the box, they jump on it and blow it to pieces! Maybe the American detector manufacturers can learn something from this. Being young and nimble has its advantages, as does having no corporate board to answer to.

Joe

I'm not much of a writer my spelling is ok my punctuation is terrible Happy I have been using Cors coils from the Ukrain this year and they are solid made and worked great and usualy 20-40 $ cheeper if not more then the detector brand ones if you can get them. The Whites Treasure Pro was a little annoying getting a good coil for it. Until something really new happens with the Tech First Texas/Garret and such seem to be skating on past success. I had high hopes for the F22-44 series but mine kept breaking down on the bubble buttons (replaced twice in 1 month). I know I am wierd I keep buying detectors and i don't care who makes them I just want to find the Glove out there and swing swing swing.
[/quote]
I'm not much of a writer my spelling is ok my punctuation is terrible Happy I have been using Cors coils from the Ukrain this year and they are solid made and worked great and usualy 20-40 $ cheeper if not more then the detector brand ones if you can get them. The Whites Treasure Pro was a little annoying getting a good coil for it. Until something really new happens with the Tech First Texas/Garret and such seem to be skating on past success. I had high hopes for the F22-44 series but mine kept breaking down on the bubble buttons (replaced twice in 1 month). I know I am wierd I keep buying detectors and i don't care who makes them I just want to find the Glove out there and swing swing swing.
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with trying a lot of machines, I think it adds to the enjoyment of the hobby, to a certain degree. I went through a similar period a few years back, where I was struggling to find the perfect unit for my type of hunting, and went through a long succession of detectors. I started in the hobby with a MXT, and it was a very good machine. I found a lot with it, but admittedly, I was probably a bit too new to the hobby to squeeze all the juice the unit was capable of. Then...

I started hearing a bunch of chatter about the Minelab's, and bought a Safari. Coming from a traditional detector that simply beeped, the pinball-esque tones of the Safari were like Chinese to me, and I HATED the machine. But, go figure, I started finding some silver with it, so I struggled through with it. Cut to...

I was hunting with a friend one day who was using the F75, and we were hunting an old farmhouse. Due to the iron, my Safari was basically a total null. My buddy said that's why Minelab's sucked, and that's why he didn't use one. So, that experience, coupled with his words motivated me to sell the Safari.

From there, in fairly short order, I tried an Omega, F75, CZ3D & AT Gold. All were good, solid machines, and extremely capable, but for coin hunting in mineralized soil, which is a pretty specific application, the only machine that seemed to really excel by leaps & bounds was the CZ, which was one of the older, rarer 1021 models, which I personally had Dankowski tune to his exacting specifications. That machine, unlike the Minelab's, only had a few traditional tones, but BOY, could it punch deep. I was routinely pulling out coins at 8+ inches in good soil conditions, and was happier than a pig in mud. As I learned the unit more, I started pushing it to its max, and quickly found out that its Achilles Heel was calling deeper iron as coins. Not once or twice, or sometimes, but quite often. And, as I'm not much into surface hunting, that turned me off. So, after a good run of a couple of years with that machine, and lots of silvers, coppers, and great finds, I once again started detector shopping.

Then, surprise, surprise, another fella I knew was using the Safari with great success. I didn't understand how he could be doing so well, as when I had the machine, it confused the shit out of me. However, I broke down and bought another one. And this time, it all finally clicked. The machine basically became an extension of my arm, and I really put it through its paces. It's found me a heck of a lot, but, as I just posted in another thread, I seem to have hit the glass ceiling with it, and I'll be moving up into an Etrac, this Winter.

Sorry for the rant, but just wanted to illustrate that most of us in the hobby go through periods where we have to sample many machines, before kissing the bride and getting married. So, keep playing, experimenting, and see what works best for YOUR specific type of hunting, as that's the only thing that matters.

I agree about your First Texas/Garrett sentiments, and them seeming to skate on past successes, but, I find that to be true of pretty much all of the American manufacturers. They certainly aren't putting out crap, but nothing truly groundbreaking, IMO. Just gradual, minor tweaks, which they bill as the 'Latest & Greatest'. Much advancement has been made in recent years with speed/separation, however, no big leap on depth, so I'm hoping to see that in the coming years.

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's