Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #54 - a Pretty Merc Next to a Happy Tree!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well I guess maybe it's Karma from me pulling all that crap out of the woods! I went back to that spot of the 44 War and nosed around and then decided to cross the ravine and go check out a bigger area where I also found about 6 or so wheats but never any silver. I have the aftermath of this one on video and am compiling a bunch of clips for a post later this week.

I'm swinging around this area following the river. I'd never done this area very carefully (about the fourth time now) because it's so loaded with river debris from flooding and beer bottle caps plus a real nasty amount of mineralization that I almost wrote it off. I wasn't getting much of anything and every time I made a 90 degree turn into the woods it was bullets galore. Big .30 caliber ones too. So I just decided to stick to the trail and the tall oaks. I really didn't expect to find anything! And about an hour in of zig zagging, by this small oak tree right near a high river embankment, I get this blaster 81, mostly 82, a few 84 and 85's and man, I'm thinking, great, a memorial, just what I need. So I dig it. Ground there is peaty as the river almost never gets up that high in that spot. To my great surprise out pops a real tarnished Merc, a 36! That's when I turned on the camera. I couldn't believe it was a Merc and not a Memorial! And only about an inch and a half down! This coin was probably dropped in the early forties as it's not terribly worn. The roots of the underbrush just took it over and kept it dry and comfy. And I can't believe I actually found a silver there! Although almost all the wheats I have found there are from the forties. So I suspect that this was a hunting and carousing area for the younger guys that were going off to war or had already been there. Back in those days, in that spot, you could shoot and drink to your hearts' content and not a whisper was heard about it. Today, well, you'd be in jail.

You know it's real strange to see a world of the past by the things you find and realize the comparative differences we have today. I think about that a great deal. Our freedom today is not what it was in yesteryear. And our advantages against that........

Have fun out there Guys & Gals and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed/ODF
Congratulations ED! My favorite coin and she is a beauty. You're a awesome hunter, and put a lot of effort and soul into it. Wow!!

Sometime I get discouraged with all the BS in the ground and the negative impacts that effect the hunt. (BS rules, etc.) You press on and I tip my hat to you and your amazing effort. GL HH!
(10-25-2016 08:16 PM)updownup Wrote: [ -> ]Congratulations ED! My favorite coin and she is a beauty. You're a awesome hunter, and put a lot of effort and soul into it. Wow!!

Sometime I get discouraged with all the BS in the ground and the negative impacts that effect the hunt. (BS rules, etc.) You press on and I tip my hat to you and your amazing effort. GL HH!

Thank you Up! I never tire of the silver coin, no matter what they are. They had weight. They were precious metal. Now, today, we have a tertiary amount of BS and coins which are not even worth their scrap. You know. So do others. We are a debased monetary society, using credit and faith. So was PT Barnum to an extent. Elephants ate peanuts. Fans ate cotton candy. All paid for by cheap imports and voluminous agriculture. At least he had the silver dimes and quarters to make it go. No credit and faith. Just real money. Wonderful world today we have! All paper and digits on a screen. Soon to be all digits. And numbers. And the thing of silver coin and gold backed bills will be a history only we know and cherish. But never forgotten, I'm sure.

Ed
I did something this year I've never done since entering this hobby...I took off the entire Summer (June to September) save for a day or two of quick hunts. Can't deal with the blazing heat anymore. Since mid September, I've been out maybe 6 or 7 times, and I still haven't found a merc. So yours looks awfully nice from where I'm sitting, Ed.

And I'm with you on the FREEDOM part.

Joe
Nice find Ed Yes

Good write up too.

Beer
(10-25-2016 10:23 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]I did something this year I've never done since entering this hobby...I took off the entire Summer (June to September) save for a day or two of quick hunts. Can't deal with the blazing heat anymore. Since mid September, I've been out maybe 6 or 7 times, and I still haven't found a merc. So yours looks awfully nice from where I'm sitting, Ed.

And I'm with you on the FREEDOM part.

Joe

Thanks Joe! Cleveland 3, Cubs 0. Bottom of the 8th! How can I go to bed now???? Go Tribe! Yes

Cleveland 6, Cubs 0, TOP OF THE EIGHTH!!! Ninth coming up!

Ed

(10-25-2016 11:11 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]Nice find Ed Yes

Good write up too.

Beer

Thanks Wayne! Appreciate that!

Ed
I like your Mercury Karma......that is a sweet find for sure, congratulations!
Reference URL's