Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Rare Coin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've never sold any of my coins, but then again, I never found any like this...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/...ure-chest/

Joe
Wow! What a story! But if I had a coin like that, poof, off to the auctioneer I'd be a goin!!! I've found several silvers that have greater value than melt but am holding on to them for a little while longer yet. Hoping, of course that they go up in value. And Ed needs a new Blue Beast! (Truck)

Ed
(10-29-2016 06:22 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Wow! What a story! But if I had a coin like that, poof, off to the auctioneer I'd be a goin!!! I've found several silvers that have greater value than melt but am holding on to them for a little while longer yet. Hoping, of course that they go up in value. And Ed needs a new Blue Beast! (Truck)

Ed

I don't believe in selling my coin finds, but, unless someone is a millionaire, how could they NOT consider selling for that amount of money.

I go by the "Value Theory". The coin goes wherever it holds the most value, and I don't necessarily mean financial. For example...

If I have a coin that I know I could get $1,000 for, I wouldn't sell, as $1,000 isn't going to do much for me. So, the coin therefore has more value in my collection. I get to admire it, show it off, and maybe pass it on to my son one day. This is true of basically all my coins. Very few worth more than $50 or $100. However...

If I ever had a coin worth a crazy number, say $50,000 or higher, at that point it obviously has more value being sold, as I can do a lot more with the cash, versus sitting on the coin. But it's all relative. Someone might need to sell a coin for $500. It makes sense to them, and would help them out. A millionaire might NEVER sell a coin, even if offered $250,000. It all comes down to need.

As for me, anything over $20,000 or $25,000 and I would consider a sale. Anything under, and I'd sit on it, enjoy it, and hope rises in value over the years.

Joe
Cool story Joe. It makes you wonder what surprises have we all stashed away and not really paid attention too back when we started detecting.

Yeah, I wouldn't sell coins for low amounts of money either. Now finding a rare date coin in excellant condition might be sellable for as you and Ed put it , 20,000 grand, yikes what a thrill that would be. We on the east coast have a chance at that but it is slim. Folks on the west coast have better odds because of the gold coin finds from back in the minner's day. But thinking like that only limits me to gold coins which I haven't found one yet.
Every so often we hear of a rare object, lost for years suddenly coming to light in odd circumstances. With something as rare and valuable as this coin, the question of selling wouldn't be a problem for most of us. I just wish it were actually one of MY problems, instead of those I do have. But with any item, I guess the relative value and relative importance to the owner would be the most sensible guideline.

The Clovis point in my avatar is quite valuable, but as in Joe's rare coin case, selling it wouldn't substantially improve my lot, and I might even think I was diminished because my Dad found that point and he instilled in me the joy of collecting artifacts. What are a few dollars compared to lost memories.
Reference URL's