Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: IH, Merc and Buffalo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[attachment=8970]
Got out Sunday with Joe for about 4 hours. Found the can't see date Buffalo first then the 1918 d Merc and the 1905 IH. Also got 8 wheats. Around here, the wheat to silver ratio is 10 wheats and 1 silver more or less.
Gerry
Very nice, Buff to me looks like 1915. Congrats!
Congrats on the nice finds! Sweet, sounds like your in a nice spot with those dates. Good luck hope you continue finding more. What kind of machine are you using and did you find more than Joe?

How deep were those coins if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for sharing too.
Nice finds I really want to find both of those coins until then I'll just keep on digging!
Loving all of those coins ! Man that buff sure took a beating I am glad to see it is moving to a nicer place (your coin collection).
HH
Pat
Good job Gerry. Sorry the Buffalo is in bad shape, but the IH and the silver look good and if you're finding wheats in that amount then I'm sure more silvers are waiting to be found. Too dry here to even think about digging in a park or yard, and no rain in sight.
(11-07-2016 07:07 PM)updownup Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats on the nice finds! Sweet, sounds like your in a nice spot with those dates. Good luck hope you continue finding more. What kind of machine are you using and did you find more than Joe?

How deep were those coins if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for sharing too.

I'm using a new to me Etrac that I bought about 6 weeks ago. Used an SE PRO previously. The Etrac doesn't seem to go any deeper (although the ground is so dry that that's not a fair statement) but the Conductivity and Ferrous are more spread out so it's easier to tell if it's a good target or not. The coins weren't deep, about 4-5 inches. They're not deep in this particular park but again the soil is so dry here that I can't go any deeper than 7 inches until we get rain.
Gerry

(11-07-2016 04:55 PM)leo aranza Wrote: [ -> ]Very nice, Buff to me looks like 1915. Congrats!
I think you might be right leo. It's funny but the picture brings the date out better than in real life. That's almost definitely a "5".
Gerry
Congrats on some old finds there Gerry and a silver! I agree with the wheat theory. You did some good detecting with just 6 weeks use under your belt and the switch to the Etrac. Lotta guys here swear by them. Although I haven't used one, they say the tones are much different than the SE Pro. But as you mention, the ID makes the tone more appealing, from what I understand.HH Bro!

Ed
(11-07-2016 04:52 PM)Gerry F Wrote: [ -> ]Got out Sunday with Joe for about 4 hours. Found the can't see date Buffalo first then the 1918 d Merc and the 1905 IH. Also got 8 wheats. Around here, the wheat to silver ratio is 10 wheats and 1 silver more or less.
Gerry

At THAT spot the wheat to silver ratio is about 10 to 1, other places it can be like 30 to 1 Chuckle Maybe we'll get lucky, and Alvin will take an early retirement, or get hit by a Mack truck, lol. Open season!

Same day, same spot, same time, next weekend Wink

(11-07-2016 11:12 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats on some old finds there Gerry and a silver! I agree with the wheat theory. You did some good detecting with just 6 weeks use under your belt and the switch to the Etrac. Lotta guys here swear by them. Although I haven't used one, they say the tones are much different than the SE Pro. But as you mention, the ID makes the tone more appealing, from what I understand.HH Bro!

Ed

Ed, I've never used an SE or an Etrac, but forget about apples & oranges, we're talking coconuts & bowling balls, as far as performance goes. And that's not from my lips, that's from Gerry's. I've witnessed it with my own eyes. When someone goes from finding a silver or two every 4 or 5 hunts, to finding one or two on EVERY hunt, in the same places, aside from user experience, which is vital, the only major differentiating factor is the machine.

I even pondered how the Etrac could be so much better, when both machines have very similar interfaces, programs, set-up's, etc. Gerry believes it is due to the processor in the Etrac, and the larger spread in numbers. And I believe it.

I have noticed the same exact thing when other guys I hunted with moved up to the Etrac. Provided they have the experience to use it, the Etrac effortlessly pulls up multiple silvers and old coins on every outing. Yes, the right location is critical, and is still #1 for success. If there isn't anything old, doesn't matter if someone's using a $5,000 P.I. Nothing will be found. But...

Take the same experienced users, the same spots, and throw an Etrac in the equation, and it's like magic. Surely, some of the finds the Etrac makes will be what was missed by previous machines. Random luck. But when deep silver/coins are found with consistency, when they weren't before, that's the key.

I've asked about 4 or 5 different hunters, who moved into an Etrac if they would ever switch again, and from every person, I got an emphatic "No."

Just in case I get accused of being a raving Minelab apostle, let me end with this...

Everything I'm speaking of is in OUR soil, which tends to be very mineralized, and where the multiple frequency machines outperform all others. This is also for our main purpose, which is deep coin hunting. So, we simply find the Minelabs perform better.

Everyone has to use what is best in THEIR location, for THEIR specific type of hunting, regardless of brand, price, etc. Yes
Very nice finds!!Cool
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's